Quantcast

cheap cheap..

hoaxci5

Chimp
Jul 4, 2001
Grand Rapids, MI
Well I'm a poor college student who would like to a bike. Does a decent cheap bike exsist? like under 300.. if so what should i be looking for in it? I haven't really researched much so if it is a simple answer just tell me to stop being lazy :)

muddywolf

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
somewhere in the desert
there are some decent bikes out there in the 3-400 range(Raleigh has the M-50/M-60, and Gary Fisher has a couple allright ones in that range) look for stuff on sale. Its getting close to the time we usually start discounting this years bikes. I would try and get something with an adjustable fork, and also try and find a shop with a good adjustment policy(we offer free tune-ups for a year)
and like Dirty said,"you get what you pay for", if you plan on really punishing your bike save a little more and get something better

R

RideMonkey

You should look for a good used bike. I have a Gary Fisher Acquila I am selling for 200. Probably not worth shipping it, but this is just an example of how you can get a $500 dollar bike for half price or less if you go used.

You should advertise for the bike you want you usually cant get a good machine for 300.
so far my last bike cost me 1000 new and that was a hunk of S**t my new bike has so far cost me $3000 and I've still got about 700-1000 of parts that I want to change.
Though it depends what riding you do my 1000 bike was an xc bike and my new one is a DH hardtail which i've built up to how i want it.
But hey they are just my thoughts:D :D

bassline

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Clifton Park, NY
I just recently bought the Kona Hahanna because I was just starting to ride again, and I wasn't sure how in to it I was gonna get. Now that I've found myself getting into it, I've kinda just considered it a good bare bones bike (doesn't even have front suspension). Pretty much everything on it is for casual riding (acera compenents), so I intend to replace most of them as I gather the money and ambition to do so. Until that point, however, I have a good starter bike, with a nice, suprisingly light cromoly steel frame that's pretty darn sturdy. I got mine for around $350. I did consider buying a used one, but we are talking about mountain bikes here, and I was a little afraid about what the previous owner may have done with it. Anyways, good luck man, I hope you find something nice.

M

MuDHoG

Just a quick suggestion to bassline (although I don't think he's around anymore but it's a good one for newbies as well). It is far far cheaper to just save up and buy a bike that comes with the components that you want already on it for example starting with a rigid your gonna want suspension lets say a psylo xc for around $450. Disc brakes..hayes = $580....Crank set with bashguard = $160.....handle bar (downhill) = $40....Riser = $50......BB = $60......tires = $45 (x2)....rims = $80(x2).....seat = $50 - 100......Pedals = $40 - 100........ sum total $1765 (ish) plus the $500 ya paid for the original bike...... we're talking like $2265 (all approx.) up here in BC ya can get one hell of a sweet bike for that amount of money (full susp)....so in closing if ya got time and money to burn then buy cheap and build up, if not save up and buy an ass kickin piece of machinery. keep in mind that I left off about 1000 dollars in parts because I don't have any prices or approximations for them, as well the prices I have mentioned above are in cnd. currency........:):D:)

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by MuDHoG
Just a quick suggestion to bassline (although I don't think he's around anymore but it's a good one for newbies as well). It is far far cheaper to just save up and buy a bike that comes with the components that you want already on it for example starting with a rigid your gonna want suspension lets say a psylo xc for around $450. Disc brakes..hayes = $580....Crank set with bashguard = $160.....handle bar (downhill) = $40....Riser = $50......BB = $60......tires = $45 (x2)....rims = $80(x2).....seat = $50 - 100......Pedals = $40 - 100........ sum total $1765 (ish) plus the $500 ya paid for the original bike...... we're talking like $2265 (all approx.) up here in BC ya can get one hell of a sweet bike for that amount of money (full susp)....so in closing if ya got time and money to burn then buy cheap and build up, if not save up and buy an ass kickin piece of machinery. keep in mind that I left off about 1000 hundred dollars in parts because I don't have any prices or approximations for them, as well the prices I have mentioned above are in cnd. currency........:):D:)
Apart from the his avatar, we just let 'im post......yeah ya can get a good bike to start eith for about 300.00.

The will be last years monel, but for the workin person, it's great!

M

MuDHoG

okay sk6 put the wine away;) I think it's beddy bye time for the spelling disabled!!!! :D keep in mind that I know you can get a good bike for three bills but bassline is planning on building a bike up from that and in my opinion it's cheaper to get the whole package right outta the box!! anyhow .......rock a bye wino on the lap top....when the bottles empty the head will come down.... and out will pass sk6 computer still on and all......

Nizmeister

"Manchild"
Jul 3, 2001
I have to agree with MudHoG! I have acquied a ful susp frame with now sups coil of damper or anything else. To buy this speratelt case £160, I can by a second hand full susp for £200!

M

MuDHoG

quite amazing that three twits..... with the same sarcastic sense of humor..from three different countrys..with the same damn emails (almost) could meet and entertain each other so thouroghly (spelling I know, dipped into sk6's wine stash) kinda makes a guy stop and :think:

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
check out the latest issue of mountain bike action. they tested a 350 dollar diamondback and loved it. might be worth your while.

Diligum

Chimp
Oct 29, 2001
If you only have $300 to spend and want to get riding right away than the smartest thing to do is buy a bike with a good frame that you can build up, and cheap parts that you can replace as they break. Sure you would get a better deal if you bought the whole bike with all the parts you want, but if you need to sit on your arse for a year to save up for it than what's the point? You'll be too fat to get up a mole hill by the time you hit the trail.

M

MuDHoG

Originally posted by Diligum
If you only have $300 to spend and want to get riding right away than the smartest thing to do is buy a bike with a good frame that you can build up, and cheap parts that you can replace as they break. Sure you would get a better deal if you bought the whole bike with all the parts you want, but if you need to sit on your arse for a year to save up for it than what's the point? You'll be too fat to get up a mole hill by the time you hit the trail.
I disagree, If he buys cheap and replaces parts as they break, he may as well just buy a new bike with the components he wants ,cause he'll be snapping, bending and twisting parts left right and center. The point is to have a kick ass bike buy the end of the year not some piece of crap thats gonna bust up like glass or take 3 years to upgrade to the point where he wants it anyhow.