Quantcast

Cheap, durable rims for road/'cross singlespeed (?)

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Hey,

Well, I finally got my frame (Surly Crosscheck) and I need to get around to building some wheels. think I may build them myself. Anyway, got any suggestions for cheap, durable rims? Something that can fit tires anywhere form 23-40c. Right now I'm thinking of Mavic MA3, Velocity Aerohead, Sun Venus, Salsa Delgado 'cross... But, the cheaper the better. I'm open to anything. I've been looking at Ebay lately, but haven't really found anything.

Thanks,

Colin

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Can't go wrong with Open Pros, but if $$ is an issue I like the MA3. Solid rim. Cheap.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
How about a Sun CR-18? Cheap and burly.

In what way are Open Pros cheap?
If CR18s are too cheap for you, how about the MA3s or Torelli Masters?

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
The Jinx said:
I would suggest a Mavic Cosmos. Strong, reliable, Paris - Roubaix proven.

Just my 2cents

Regards
sbw
I think that is what I will do for the front. But the bike is to be SS, so I need to build up a wheel for the rear.

thanks all.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
If you're really going to abuse these wheels, I'd suggest a built wheel over a Mavic 'system' wheel. Just easier to fix when things go wrong.

I guess I misunderstood you when you said "the cheaper the better." Open Pros are 1. lightweight rims and 2. $70+ MSRP. MA3 are $40, CR-18s are $30? Less? You could probably work up a Surly/CR18 wheelset for less than the Cosmos front.

That said, I've had wheels will all three of those rims and they're all nice.