Quantcast

cheap game system?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'd like to set up a game system in my basement to go with the poker and air hockey tables.

I don't want to spend much, so I'm thinking maybe a used Nintendo Gamecube bundled with several games (craigslist). What about a spare PC that I have (Duron, 512MbRAM)? Other option that's better?

My concern with the Gamecube is how much longer will it get support (hardware, new games)?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
What do you mean by cheap? Wii isn't that expensive and looks kind of like fun. I virtually never play video games but must admit Wii was pretty cool.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Anything "cheap" won't have much in terms of new games, it's just the way of the industry. I think you'll be limited more by the PC than you would be by a game cube, xbox or PS2. My guess is that xbox or PS2 will have more games available, but the Gamecube might be cheaper from the start as it wasn't as popular as the other two systems.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What do you mean by cheap?
I'm finding Gamecubes with one or two controllers and a handful of games on craigslist for $100. I don't expect to play it much, so I don't want to spend much. It's more to create a game room for when we have parties.

I figure my wife and I will play air hockey more than anything else. I'll make her eat my puck!

Anything "cheap" won't have much in terms of new games, it's just the way of the industry..
I figured as much. I guess "support" in the future will come from buying used.

So no new games for previous gen consoles?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A standard Xbox or a PS2 can be had for little money and is still getting some game support. The Gamecube is all but finished.

If you don't want to keep up with the cutting edge of gaming, none of the old games are losing their replay value so just buy one that has a game or three that you like and go with that. If you end up going with a PS2, I have a small handful of games I'd part with cheaply so PM me. I just never got around to putting them on eBay.

There are games I like for all three old consoles (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube). For pure random entertainment, I really like the Gamecube for some of the Mario Kart games and a couple of the first person shooters.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If you don't want to keep up with the cutting edge of gaming, none of the old games are losing their replay value so just buy one that has a game or three that you like and go with that. If you end up going with a PS2, I have a small handful of games I'd part with cheaply so PM me. I just never got around to putting them on eBay.
amen. see my gran turismo thread. for the dedicated/insane/competitive it has tremendous replay value. approximately 99.9% of my gaming time in the last few years has been with GT4 on my trusty ps2. :pirate2:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've just gotten back into GT3, I felt cheated when I bought it for $9.99 because it wasn't as fun as NFSU2, now that I've played it a bit more I don't really have a favorite, definately worth the 10 bucks. I bet I'd really like GT4 if I had a few days to get comfortable with it.