Quantcast

Chipped bone - what shall i do??

rfx_turner

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
took a stupid small fall last weekend and now i have a chipped bone in my thumb. I need surgery and the season just started.

Do I get it done now and let it heal for a month? (I'll have to do some light riding - no drops and no advance/expert trails) OR do i wait til the end of the season and hope it doesn't get worse??

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
if its really only a month and you can still ride some, get it fixed now you can probably push the month time period also

You need to suck it up and go get it taken care of now. One month isn't sh!t compared to a lot of other things. Trust me, when July rolls around and it's completely healed you'll be glad you did. Otherwise you might be hindered all summer and it could get worse and effect your riding. Take it from someone who has been there more times then i want to remember.

Tweety

Chimp
May 30, 2007
You need to suck it up and go get it taken care of now. One month isn't sh!t compared to a lot of other things. Trust me, when July rolls around and it's completely healed you'll be glad you did. Otherwise you might be hindered all summer and it could get worse and effect your riding. Take it from someone who has been there more times then i want to remember.

good call.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
i can't say i would agree here....

as i've gotten older i've had more surgeries than i care to remember, and more and more the pains i get stay around a lot longer than i care for.

if i were you, i would simply ginger it as much as you can and when you ride, tape it up real good and maybe even wrap it in gauze before taping.

that's just my opinion though, and you do of course run the risk of having a slightly deformed thumb if the bone heals back a little off center.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
took a stupid small fall last weekend and now i have a chipped bone in my thumb. I need surgery and the season just started.

Do I get it done now and let it heal for a month? (I'll have to do some light riding - no drops and no advance/expert trails) OR do i wait til the end of the season and hope it doesn't get worse??
I'm in the same boat right now. I have to have surgery tomorrow morning to move some pieces of bones back in place in my pinkie so I can get full range of motion back to hold onto the handlebars. Docs are saying I won't be able to race until July! It sucks missing races, but its gotta happen. Good luck with your thumb. You should most definitely get it taken care of ASAP.