Which for for a '03 BigHit?

• 2004 Marzocchi Dirt-Jumper II

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
I'm building up a shuttle bike for Snowshoe. It's an '03 BigHit. I weigh 210 lbs., so the bike and fork need to be burly, although I'm a wuss and won't be doing big drops or gap jumps. I just want to bomb down the mountain with the occasional 6' drop or tabletop jump here and there.

I have three forks on hand. Which should I choose?

1) Mint 2003 Marzocchi Monster T - 200mm travel, 20mm thru-axel, 12+ lbs fork. Dual coil. External compression and rebound adjustments. The fork may be old, but it has barely been ridden.

2) 2007 Marzocchi 66 ATA SL1 - 180mm-140mm travel, 20mm thru-axel, 6 lbs fork. Air sprung. External compression and rebound adjustments.

3) 2004 Marzocchi Dirt-Jumper II - 150mm travel, 20mm thru-axel, adjustments?? (came off a stock 2004 BigHit)

I'm pretty sure I don't want to use the DJ2. I want more travel than 150mm.

I like the idea of the Monster T, but it's REALLY heavy. It's super plush. Bomb proof. I'm afraid it's weight is going to cause some control issues when I get air. I can't even wheelie the bike with this thing on it. Does that mean I'll nose dive when I jump/drop-off?

That leaves the 66. On the BigHit, I'd only use it at 180mm, so the ATA feature goes to waste. I don't mind it being air sprung. It's less than half the weight of the Monster T. It's a single crown, so will it hold up as well as the Monster?

Which ever one I use, I'll sell the other two. The 66 is worth more $$, so it'll be easier on the wallet if I sell that one.

I can't decide! Help!!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
The Monster T isn't a bad fork. Takes a lot of adapting/adjusting in your riding style to ride one. The 2003+ models are tanks but I had no trouble muscling one around (I'm only 160 lbs).

I had a lot of trouble with my '07 66 ATA. When it works, its a great fork, but can't compare to the Monster T.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I think you should rock that monster on the old bighit...classic setup and one that brings back fond memories for me and others I'm sure.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Seriously stay away from the Monster, Gett yourself a 66 and be happy. I weigh 245, rock a 66rc2 and run about 4 lbs of air in the air assist. Couple guys here will back it up, smooth, supple, and feels great!!!! You are not going to break it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
bullcrew is a big mofo like you and he rocks a 66 so i say go with a 66 g .
66 rc3 ROCKS!!!!!!! I love mine, I put it back on after the races and stuck the 888 ata wc in the closet for now. The 66rc3 is definently a burley fork. Ive raced it, hucked it, rode urban and accidently scratched my stanchion (need a new seal now) 2 weeks ago. OOOPS!
But even puking oil its still on the bike, It rides kick ARSE!

So even with a 07 66 ata I still say 66 hands down is a smokin fork!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
So even with a 07 66 ata I still say 66 hands down is a smokin fork!
There is a huge difference between the '07 66 ATA and the '08 66 RC3. Its not really fair to compare them.

The '07 ATA is not as plush, period.

Yeah, the Monster is heavy and dated...but between the ATA and the Monster, I'd choose the Monster for LIFT riding.

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
Ok, so I decided to keep the Monster T. Mainly because it was SO plush and I really need some money (the 66 will sell for more scratch than the Monster).

I took the bike for the first ride yesterday. MAN that Monster is plush. Wow!

I know this is a tiny gap jump compared to what most of you guys hit, but it's the best I could find locally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdCoZJuRySQ&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdCoZJuRySQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>