Quantcast

Cinco de Mayo WOO F'ING HOO

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Forget what I posted before, the real story behind this day is tragic indeed...

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's Mayonnaise was
manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars
of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was
to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New
York.

This would have been the largest single shipment delivered to Mexico.
But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship
hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, were eagerly
awaiting its delivery and were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish
was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they
still observe to this day. The National Day of Mourning occurs each
year on May 5th and is known, of course, as "Sinko de Mayo".

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

Hell, *I* could kick the French army's ass. By myself. And I'm a wuss. :oink:
And then France marched back in and setup an EMPEROR.

How weak do you have to be to cave in under the French?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm with Nobody on this. Wait, does that mean I'm alone? :think:

Some people need a reason to party, probably because they carry around too much guilt or something.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
OGRipper said:
Some people need a reason to party, probably because they carry around too much guilt or something.

True - but why wait? Why celebrate some other country's victory over some other country by slamming down awful beer?

Slam the awful beer on a more appropriate holiday. Like President's day. Or Flag Day.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
DRB said:
Look its loco junior.
Not really, Loco Jr. would bitch and moan that the store didn't have exactly the awful beer he wanted, and his Nissan blew up in the parking lot, and his whiney posts about May 5th don't get him enough good rep.

I'm being a dick on purpose. Loco can't help it.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
H8R said:
Not really, Loco Jr. would bitch and moan that the store didn't have exactly the awful beer he wanted, and his Nissan blew up in the parking lot, and his whiney posts about May 5th don't get him enough good rep.

I'm being a dick on purpose. Loco can't help it.
I sir stand corrected and can only ask you to forgive me.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I Are Baboon said:
I'm no expert on international holidays, but how is a pizza cutter going to be helpful on a Mexican holiday? Unless he's having Mexican pizza. Mexican pizza is pretty good, you know, with ground beef, jalapenos, tortilla strips, etc.
It's not a Mexican holiday, it's a US invention.... no one in Mexico does anything for Cinco de Mayo. We were down there in May last year, thinking there'd be all this big deal, banks closed, parades and so on. All the locals are like "HUH, that's a U.S. deal". It's just a regular day, down in Mexico. I'm not sure what it was invented for up here.

gg

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
geargrrl said:
It's not a Mexican holiday, it's a US invention.... no one in Mexico does anything for Cinco de Mayo. We were down there in May last year, thinking there'd be all this big deal, banks closed, parades and so on. All the locals are like "HUH, that's a U.S. deal". It's just a regular day, down in Mexico. I'm not sure what it was invented for up here.

gg
It's a big day in Mexico City... might be more of a regional event tho.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
hey, happy 5 de mayo, it looks like you celebrate it more than us, anyways, i've never tasted the anaheim chile although it looks good, also if you want some good beers try XX lager, Indio, Pacifico, Leon, this are my favorites, a friend of mine is having a fund raiser for some school chit, and we came up with the idea of having some real tequila, no comercial chit, i'm talking about the same tequila that tequila farmers drink, and this bottle will be posted in a auction,

maybe i can send a bottle to the main monkey and have a fund raiser to help ridemonkey and get rid of those crappy banners,

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
geargrrl said:

gg
Yep you are right, its no big deal in Mexico, although its not an american invention, we celebrate the battle between Mexicans armed with machetes, rocks and just a few guns , and the french army, Mexicans won this battle, although the french came back and kicked our butts, tried to stick an emperor in our butts, but then failed again and so...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SkaredShtles said:
Dude - you live in the NE. Can you even *get* any decent Mexican food? :)
Yeah, why would Mexicans want to come up here and overcharge us wealthy New Englanders for food? :)

:rofl:

Yes, you can get decent Mexican food here. BTW, Colorado dude?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
geargrrl said:

gg
That's all fine and stuff but what does that have to do with pizza cutters?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, why would Mexicans want to come up here and overcharge us wealthy New Englanders for food? :)

:rofl:

Yes, you can get decent Mexican food here. BTW, Colorado dude?
don't know about denver, but you can get a mean plate of huevos rancheros @ the Durango Diner.

:drool:

i'd rather have access to amazingly fresh seafood than good mexican food.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
don't know about denver, but you can get a mean plate of huevos rancheros @ the Durango Diner.

:drool:

i'd rather have access to amazingly fresh seafood than good mexican food.
CA has both.

NYA NYA!

:blah:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
I've got a feeling you both would think it's cheap living out here in the Midwest. :D
Uh...yeah.

But then I'd be in the midwest, wanting to die.