Quantcast

CLEMSON DH RACE APRIL 21st! open to everyone

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Thats right its finally happening the Clemson University Freeride Club is hosting a race out in the Issaqueena Experimental Forest.

Pre race weekend registration can be done via active.com at the following link.
http://active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1433998

We will be posting pictures of the trail, some short videos and directions on our website shortly.
www.clemsonfreeride.com

Our new trail is action packed from top to bottom, its roughly 1.5 miles long and incorporates a bit of every style of riding. Jumps, drops, rock gardens, glorious berms! what ever it maybe everything is rollable and raceable.

Come out for a day of fun and racing with the Clemson Freeride Club

Trail is tentatively scheduled to be shuttled by truck from 10am -race time.
Please send any questions you may have to ride@clemson.edu or post them here.

Hope to see you out there
Jonathan

Clemson Freeride President.

Check out our video
2 runs, just kinda chillin no serious pedaling.

THERE WILL BE AN AFTERPARTY AT THE WOODLANDS APARTMENTS CLUB HOUSE. You must be 21 to drink beer.

CHanges
ok our insurance is now through McKay Insurance Agency, Inc. Quite possibly the easiest people ive ever worked with on anything. So just to clarify the changes this brought. EVERYONE IS NOW COVERED UNDER OUR INSURANCE including PRO/EXPERT. No annual norba memberships will be needed. Just pay the registration fee and you are covered.

Also we have reserved a club house for an afterparty so plan accrodingly. Pretty much picture ICYCLE during the day in a warmer climate.

Classes as of now are as follows and in the following order

female open

elite

amateur
30+ & 16-29

beginner
30+ & 16-29

big bike open
40+ lbs

pee wee
(15- under)

this is not a norba race,

it will be best of two runs.

there will be a box truck shuttle.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
uhhhh your website doesn't have any info on it as far as location of this race and directions.... could be useful, as i'm thinking about coming from NC for this......

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Directions to Our DH Trail

From Charlotte/Greenville:
Take I-85 South. Take exit 19B off I-85 and continue on Highway 76 towards Clemson for approximately 15-20 minutes. At the end of Highway 76, turn left onto Highway 123 and continue over the bridge. After crossing the bridge, turn right onto Old Greenville Highway (the first turn before the Palms Gas Station). You should then pass the Bloom on your right. After about 3-5 minutes, turn right at the Lawrence Bridge Recreation Area. Continue down this road but do not follow the rest of the Lawrence Bridge signs. After crossing over the bridge, look for a right turn onto a gravel road (less than a mile after crossing the bridge)

From Atlanta:
Take I-85 North. Take exit 19B off I-85 and continue on Highway 76 towards Clemson for approximately 15-20 minutes. At the end of Highway 76, turn left onto Highway 123 and continue over the bridge. After crossing the bridge, turn right onto Old Greenville Highway (the first turn before the Palms Gas Station). You should then pass the Bloom on your right. After about 3-5 minutes, turn right at the Lawrence Bridge Recreation Area. Continue down this road but do not follow the rest of the Lawrence Bridge signs. After crossing over the bridge, look for a right turn onto a gravel road (less than a mile after crossing the bridge)

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
^^^ Jon rides a 40hundred pound V10 down the course just fine. And as far as the pedaling section, its super easy if you carry good speed through the berm right before it and hit the jump clean, you can almost coast if your lazy.

So-EastMatt

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
I live not far from Clemson so I've been keeping an eye on the evolution of this track for the past few months. I was one of the guys who designed the original Clemson DH courses a few years back. This one blows everything we did back then out of the water. It's Clemson SC, so yes, there is some pedaling. The course is best suited for shorter travel bikes. That being said, as someone who has raced everthing around here for the last 12 years, good and bad, this course has the makings of one of the most fun DH tracks of the year. All of the features that have been built are well thought out- there isn't any dumb stuff. Everything helps you build speed where you wouldn't otherwise have any. There are jumps and berms top to bottom with a few "north shore" inspired features appropriately placed. The wall ride that was built today is an absolute blast- way more fun than I had though it would be. Everything on the course hooks up and flows together. They made the most of the terrain they have and it'll be worth the trip for whoever comes on the 21st.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
So that long pedal section is still part of it? The piece that was about :30 after the start?
This is where I started so I'm definitely in.
Its still part of it, the top 15ish% and the bottom 10% are the same as the old course, but everything in between has been completely reworked and built to 07 spec. I wouldnt say its a "typical" DH course, but its definitely more fun than a "typical" DH course. If you don't cross the finish line with a smile on your face then there's something wrong with you.

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
The crew and myself went out tothe DH run today and it is FUN, FAST, and SICK. It is not your typicall DH run but it is really great. The guys really did a amazing job. This is my first year racing and I was and still digging it. You can count on me and the whole G- Vegas crew coming down to rip the coares on race day. I/ We can not wait.... see you on the hill. Again, nice work on the run!!!:clapping: :busted:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
The crew and myself went out tothe DH run today and it is FUN, FAST, and SICK. It is not your typicall DH run but it is really great. The guys really did a amazing job. This is my first year racing and I was and still digging it. You can count on me and the whole G- Vegas crew coming down to rip the coares on race day. I/ We can not wait.... see you on the hill. Again, nice work on the run!!!:clapping: :busted:
Thanks a lot man. Myself and the rest of the club have put quite a bit of work into the course. It makes it all worth it when people tell me they enjoy the course. I understand it's not the "typical" DH trail, but i respond saying that Clemson SC doenst exactly have the "typical" DH landscape. We tried our best to have a little or everything, jumps,berms, drops, step down, step up, and now the wallride. We still have some grooming and final prep of the trail before the race.

Any suggestions...?

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
put knobbies on and ride your hardtail Murphy.
yeah i was just looking at the pic thread of the course....looks pretty hardtail friendly...... If i end up going, i'll still bring the 303 for sh!ts and giggles

oh P.S.

is this hike-a-bike or you guys gonna be running some sort of shuttle?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
yeah i was just looking at the pic thread of the course....looks pretty hardtail friendly...... If i end up going, i'll still bring the 303 for sh!ts and giggles

oh P.S.

is this hike-a-bike or you guys gonna be running some sort of shuttle?
I think youll be alright on a 303, I ran the course the first 100 times on a hardtail then borrowed a buddies big hit and I actually felt like i was faster on the fully. Our course is really about momentum, if you have it on your side youll be golden.

I hope you bring the 303 just so i can take pics of it:pirate2:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hey Mattmatt or ridiculous.
Do me a favor and add the event to the calender in the yahoo DH group. Link is in my signature. Something about my computer at work is creating an error on page when I try to add it to the calender. Calender is the blue box on the left side.
I was able to send out a message update but need it added to the events list.
Butch

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
FYI...there's no direct link to the registration on your website. you have to click on the flyer, then click on the Active.com button on the flyer. I'll email and print this out for the shops here in Asheville.

If all you other riders in GA, NC, SC, TN could do the same, it would really help these guys out.

PEACE.
Butch

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Iemailed it this morning to every single bike shop in Asheville/Black Mtn/Waynesville requesting they put the flyer on the wall, email it out in updates and/or add it to their calenders.

Butch

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
FYI...there's no direct link to the registration on your website. you have to click on the flyer, then click on the Active.com button on the flyer. I'll email and print this out for the shops here in Asheville.

If all you other riders in GA, NC, SC, TN could do the same, it would really help these guys out.

PEACE.
Butch

im working on that

check out the yahoo groups thing now im pretty sure it worked.

Jon

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Can you believe that I will probably have to miss a race that is 30 minutes from the house!! It's the boys first birthday, and to miss it would make me a lousy father.

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
Hey bro, we have been passing out flyers all g- vegas. everyone i have catted w/ seems really pumped. you can count on all of us to be there. really looking foward to the whole day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again, great work w the dh line and pulling off a race for everyone around the way.:clapping: :clapping: :monkeydance:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Doesn't a one day license only cover beginner sport class?
or is this a different deal??
what if you already have a license what is the race cost for Expert/Pro??//
I was just informed of this about 2 hours ago im still trying to figure out what to do. Let me get back to you when i get off the phone tomorrow with the USA Cycling folk:disgust1:

Thanks for bringing this up.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Hey bro, we have been passing out flyers all g- vegas. everyone i have catted w/ seems really pumped. you can count on all of us to be there. really looking foward to the whole day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again, great work w the dh line and pulling off a race for everyone around the way.:clapping: :clapping: :monkeydance:
Thanks a ton for you help, i hope you enjoy it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I was just informed of this about 2 hours ago im still trying to figure out what to do. Let me get back to you when i get off the phone tomorrow with the USA Cycling folk:disgust1:

Thanks for bringing this up.
You do realize that being a SORBA chapter means you could just thumb your nose at USAC and use SORBA's event insurance don't you?

Or you could do what J and W Events does and just leave USAC out of the loop and use their insurance carrier directly.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
You do realize that being a SORBA chapter means you could just thumb your nose at USAC and use SORBA's event insurance don't you?
u may wanna read the fine print on that policy first...

is clemson a sorba chapter?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
edit..... this is more clear....

WHAT DOESN'T IT COVER?

It doesn't cover a lot of things, but the most notable exceptions are races and race-like competitive events such as observed trials competitions, jumping contests or freeride events. Special events involving the use of stunts or constructed technical trail features, as well as events such as pro rider demonstrations, are not covered. McKay sells race and contest insurance separately.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
i just sent an email over to Wes and Jay at jandw events hoping to get some clarification on all of this, I know a change is necessary im just not sure what. This shouldnt effect the registration process much.

Prizes:
Because people keep asking i figure ill put an update here and on the website.

Pro/Expert class
1-3rd place will share the registration fees from the people that sign up for that class, so the more the merrier.

All other classes will be some sort of bike related prize.

We are trying to have a after party similar to ICYCLE to have the awards and such at so if not prizes there will probably be a keg and good times.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
i just sent an email over to Wes and Jay at jandw events hoping to get some clarification on all of this, I know a change is necessary im just not sure what. This shouldnt effect the registration process much.

Prizes:
Because people keep asking i figure ill put an update here and on the website.

Pro/Expert class
1-3rd place will share the registration fees from the people that sign up for that class, so the more the merrier.

All other classes will be some sort of bike related prize.

We are trying to have a after party similar to ICYCLE to have the awards and such at so if not prizes there will probably be a keg and good times.
just call the shop 877-5790 and as k for Wes