Quantcast

CLEMSON DH RACE APRIL 21st! open to everyone

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Good job. You've made that thing tons more fun than the old course we laid out. But now I'm going home and cutting my bars down to 18" wide...heh.
18" Why? Its not that tight, Jon and my buddy Sam both ride with their bars uncut at 28", but ironically myself with my bars at 26" got caught on a vine and threw me overboard.(as you could see in the video)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
18" Why? Its not that tight, Jon and my buddy Sam both ride with their bars uncut at 28", but ironically myself with my bars at 26" got caught on a vine and threw me overboard.(as you could see in the video)
me and Ryan Bloch rode a DH at Wintergreen several years back that was tight and had trees inside turns everywhere. I kept tagging them with my bars during practice following Bloch.

Rather than recognize that he had gotten faster and I slower since the preceeding season, I went home and hacksawed my 28 inch Azonics..as I was the only guy running full width bars at the time. It was really just me being too slow to miss 'em:imstupid: .

Who knew years later, my 28 inch bars would be justified by the masses...

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
edit..... this is more clear....
I assume from your sig you know what you're talking about, but when the SORBA rep came up to help us TORC started he told ust their insurance would cover everything but mass start races, and specifically mentioned freeride events as covered. While he probably didn't go to law school, I did, and his interpretation lined up with the actually language of the policy.

Has the language of SORBA's policy changed? Or has the IMBA/SORBA merger progressed to the point that we're actually under their insurance?

If so, what additional insurance does SoFA use?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
For Dark Mtn we found NORBA to be the cheapest provided you have a NORBA official come out for free (up to 100 riders - $50 plus $2 per rider).
the cheapest in comparison to what?

any opinions on mckay insurance? im thinking about switching it all over on monday.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
the cheapest in comparison to what?

any opinions on mckay insurance? im thinking about switching it all over on monday.
I can't remember the name of the company we compared against but I do remember their pricing was available online so you didn't have to call anyone. I believe butch may have provided me with their name...(butch please chime in if you remember). we also had our club president check different options...he's an insurance agent. we do have a standard event insurance (which is cheaper) that we use for our road events however if you give prizes out it voids the coverage. sorry I couldn't be of more help:hmm:

Jun 11, 2004
just broke the collar bone, no race for me:disgust1:
Damn that really sucks Matt! Unfortunately, seeing the pain you were in.........I was pretty sure that a broken collar bone was the outcome. Hope it doesn't keep you off the bike too long.

It was really cool meeting you and the other course "designers" today! And bumping into Zach again.........Florida Invasion!!

You guys have built a kick ass trail...............NICE WORK!! :clapping:

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Someone said you collapse a lung as well? WTF?
Anyway, it was good to meet you and ride with ya, just wish the outcome turned out different. Hope you feel better and are back on the bike soon!!!

Brian

So-EastMatt

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
Man, I feel for you. Hopefully you'll be back in business soon. I could tell you were hating life when I saw you though!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
ok our insurance is now through McKay Insurance Agency, Inc. Quite possibly the easiest people ive ever worked with on anything. So just to clarify the changes this brought. EVERYONE IS NOW COVERED UNDER OUR INSURANCE including PRO/EXPERT. No annual norba memberships will be needed.

Also we have reserved a club house for an afterparty so plan accrodingly. Pretty much picture ICYCLE during the day in a warmer climate.

Jon

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ok our insurance is now through McKay Insurance Agency, Inc. Quite possibly the easiest people ive ever worked with on anything. So just to clarify the changes this brought. EVERYONE IS NOW COVERED UNDER OUR INSURANCE including PRO/EXPERT. No annual norba memberships will be needed.

Also we have reserved a club house for an afterparty so plan accrodingly. Pretty much picture ICYCLE during the day in a warmer climate.

Jon
Did you update those categories like we discussed?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Classes as of now are as follows and in the following order

women open

pro men
sport men
junior sport (18 & under)

beg men
beg juniors

big bike open

As long as we have have everything up in a timely fashion and are ready to execute by 2 o clock we are going to push the race time forward and do best of 2 runs.

Matt (Guard) is coming down with his timing system and based on the way our communication has gone so far it seems as if we are in for an extremely efficient race.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Classes as of now are as follows and in the following order

women open

pro men
sport men
junior sport (18 & under)

beg men
beg juniors

As long as we have have everything up in a timely fashion and are ready to execute by 2 o clock we are going to push the race time forward and do best of 2 runs. As you know if this turns out to be a small event, im laid back enough to star adding stuff like big bike classes and the like. Im also not against it if we have enough day light but i think its something i would like to play by ear. Matt (Guard) is coming down with his timing system and based on the way our communication has gone so far it seems as if we are in for an extremely efficient race, so I would bring the big bikes with you.
...After all if i race at all, I will be on my big bike!
Just make sure I know how many medals to bring... :rofl:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Guys that were not coming because you have a big bike should now come. The course is super fun and will not be a problem on a Big Bike. You will have just as much fun there as you would on a small bike. There are no climbs at all. It’s all downhill with a few small flat sections. Remember a big bike is over 40lbs. They will have a scale there at the race.

Hope to see you all there. This is an old venue that was always fun times....... You will see it you come.

Cecil:cheers:

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
A have a question if I race Beg or Sport can I still run my Fully? All of us from G-Vegas are coming and are really looking foward to having a great time!!!!!!!! We are really stoked abou the event, and I have been steady passing out flyers still!!!!!! Keep it real and much respect. See you cats soon!!!!!!!!:clapping:

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
Matt Adams had big bike class at 37 pounds or more. I say go with the same weight.
no way 37 is too light. make it 45 :disgust: just kidding. this is a norba race right? you only have pro and sport classes listed. does that mean i gotta race pro if i'm an expert? also will this be best of 2 runs like dark mtn or 1 run? and is it hike a bike? or will there be shuttling?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
ok i just finalized the classes tonight based on rider recommendations and they are now as follows.

female open

elite

amateur
30+ & 16-29

beginner
30+ & 16-29

big bike open
40+ lbs

pee wee
(15- under)

this is not a norba race,

it will be best of two runs.

there will be a box truck shuttle.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
cocked locked and ready to rock

we did some work on the fire road gap today to incorporate it into the race, the course has been rerouted this way as it makes it safer and were now thinking we should integrate this jump into the elite class as a mandatory stunt at the minimum. The following figures show our progress.

Before

After some love

\

ignore the 2x4 against the post its not doing anything and will not be there on race day, in fact its not there now.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
And for those of you that came out this weekend here are the photos from the preview run

heres a couple pics from this last weekend. I had a nice pic of the whole group, but obviousley dewey doesnt know how to operate a camera...

skerb

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Clemson,SC
no way 37 is too light. make it 45 :disgust: just kidding. this is a norba race right? you only have pro and sport classes listed. does that mean i gotta race pro if i'm an expert? also will this be best of 2 runs like dark mtn or 1 run? and is it hike a bike? or will there be shuttling?

there will be a shuttle for practice day of the race starting at 10am