Clemson Freeride's Annual Downhill Race: April 4th, 2009

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
Get amped!

-A few notes:

• People will be drinking Red Bull.
  • This is our best race course yet that will surprise everyone.
  • We will be giving out some nice prizes, so don't miss out.
  • Most everything is tabled, but if not, the go-arounds will have minimal penalty.
  • Professional photography of each racer will be available.
  • We are actively adding sponsors , so the flyer may change.
  • The optional chainless fun-run will start from about half way down immediately after the last racer has their 2nd timed run.
  • The race will be fun and challenging for all levels, so please encourage all of your of your riding friends to come out.
  • Even if racing is not your thing, this is one of the best races to spectate in the area thanks to the newly renovated wallride and numerous jumps.
  • Event will be held rain or shine!

We are currently in the progress of some serious trail construction/renovation, so please be cautious if you come out to ride in the next 2 weeks.

We will be posting up some pictures and a full video of the course, so be sure to keep checking this thread for updates!

If any of you know of any potential sponsors to help us out with more prizes or building material, please let us know.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread. We'd all prefer to keep this consolidated to one thread to avoid 15 threads about the same event.

Also, if anyone could help distribute this flyer around to their local bike shops and such, that would be much appreciated. I can e-mail it to you in .pdf format if necessary.

We will see you there!

www.clemsonfreeride.com

Last edited:

Basher

Monkey
May 8, 2007
Hicktown, NC
Couple of us from Hicktown will be comming down for the race. More than likely will head to Greenwood and check out the Freeride park on Sunday.

So-EastMatt

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
I'm with Brandon- I actually cancelled a big conference that I was suppossed to go to for work so I could make the race on March 28th and April 4th is my Bro-in-law's wedding. Wish I could make it, Sorry dudes!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I'm with Brandon- I actually cancelled a big conference that I was suppossed to go to for work so I could make the race on March 28th and April 4th is my Bro-in-law's wedding. Wish I could make it, Sorry dudes!
Matt you need to stop missing the Local races!!!! I know things get in the way, its life. Just messing with you......

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
Anybody gonna be out there tomorrow?
Yeah a few of us will be out digging tomorrow after 12 or 1. You are more than welcome to come ride, but just be careful because we are doing a lot of construction/renovation of a bunch of stuff. The wallride has been rebuilt and perfectly ridable, just needs to be painted.

Sorry about changing the date of March 28th, but we were getting too many complaints because of the date conflict the the downhill race in North Georgia scheduled for the same weekend.

We should have some fresh pics up soon, so stay tuned. An updated flyer with all of the newly added sponsors is also on the way.

thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeah, I have to put in my weekends off in January so I put down 3-28-09
Now I don't know if I can make it on the 4th. Oh well, Guess you guys had
good reason to change the date?

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Thanks you jerks!! I was planning on the 28th of March also. the 4th is the wifes B-Day, once again living in SC sucks for FR-DH.. have fun without me... I'll take a moment of silence for everyone racing.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Yeah, I have to put in my weekends off in January so I put down 3-28-09
Now I don't know if I can make it on the 4th. Oh well, Guess you guys had
good reason to change the date?
Freeride festival/time trial thingy up at Mansell. See the Sorba board for details.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Sorry guys, the club was catching sh!t from another promoter for having our race on the same day as his so it was pushed it back a week. Either date we are pissing people off, the trails are always there to ride and there will be other races. If you can't make it because of the date change we're sorry, if you can, great we'll see you out there.

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
no dual slalom?
No, no dual slalom. To keep the event within one day it is best we only do downhill. If there is enough demand we could have DS on a separate day or something in the future. It also takes a tremendous amount of work to keep both courses up in racing shape and we can't quite dedicate that now while constructing the new downhill sections.

Edit: Our 'downhill' course is like one long slalom course though if that's what you are after.

Last edited:

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
Are you going to break the Classes up into Age Groups or not? Just wondering, I plan on being there either way. SOunds lie a blast may get down there this weekend for some riding. Thanks for hosting a great race!!!!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Are you going to break the Classes up into Age Groups or not? Just wondering, I plan on being there either way. SOunds lie a blast may get down there this weekend for some riding. Thanks for hosting a great race!!!!
As I recall, the club decided to do away with the division of ages because some classes would only have 4-5 racers, similarly, there are plenty of 15-16 year old riders that are some of the fastest riders on the hill. With no age groups there are also better/more prizes for the winners of the classes. If there is demand we usually add a Pee Wee class for the youngsters.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Sorry guys, the club was catching sh!t from another promoter for having our race on the same day as his so it was pushed it back a week. Either date we are pissing people off, the trails are always there to ride and there will be other races. If you can't make it because of the date change we're sorry, if you can, great we'll see you out there.
ah..excuses, excuses, matt. we all know that you heard noah was coming and you just didn't want to get cockpunched again ;) :rofl:

i think we're gonna hit up the big creek race on the 28th and then go play at central park on the 29th instead. we'll sure miss racing with you guys though...oh well, next year for sure.

you guys gonna do a summer race again?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
ah..excuses, excuses, matt. we all know that you heard noah was coming and you just didn't want to get cockpunched again ;) :rofl:

i think we're gonna hit up the big creek race on the 28th and then go play at central park on the 29th instead. we'll sure miss racing with you guys though...oh well, next year for sure.

you guys gonna do a summer race again?
what no late night halo this time?

Feb 26, 2007
definitley will be there.. gotta find a better place to stay than the KAO this time tho... What are the chances of seeing the finish line jump return this year ?

Feb 26, 2007
Haha, nah it wasnt that bad... I think it was just the lack of sleep I had from Murphy's stories he told til 3 in the morning.

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
definitley will be there.. gotta find a better place to stay than the KAO this time tho... What are the chances of seeing the finish line jump return this year ?
I hear rumors of bigger and better things in this race, just not at the finish line unfortunately. The forestry people made that impossible for us to replicate by installing a vertical steel post right where we had the lander last year.

Red Bull will be there in full-force though.

06sxtrail

Chimp
May 30, 2008
Oxford, MS
Can anyone tell me what the dh race course will be? I rode the trail for the first time this past weekend and had a great time. I'd like to know what route the race course will follow. Looking to visit and practice again before the race.

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
Can anyone tell me what the dh race course will be? I rode the trail for the first time this past weekend and had a great time. I'd like to know what route the race course will follow. Looking to visit and practice again before the race.
Start at the top.

Follow the trail down. The actual race start is TBD but most likely will be some where shortly above to A Frame feature to cut out most of the fire road climb. After you hit the two doubles with wooden bridges. Take the the berm to leads to the right and follow that section. After the wallride it gets hard to explain but it will put you through over to the big sender jump (where the wooden drop use to be) into the ravine than up to the road gap. Down the root turn and rock garden, finishing with the creek gap.

This is all subject to change based on trail condition and work load of us the trail builders. We have some other ideas we want to do but not sure if time will allow.

For all those who have ridden the trail before, there are 4 new berms and 2 new big a** jumps. We tried to bring Powerline to Clemson.

Hope to see everyone out there from past races, should be the best course yet, with flow of the scale.

Zac