Quantcast

clif shots

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
...give you tons of energy but the viva vanillas tase like crap. 24g of carbs in one little packet of that stuff... and i ate two this morning before i ran a 5k (3.1mi) race today. my time was 22:30 and i usually do about 23:45 so they definitly helped.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Clif shots are the worst gels i like the power gels more they give more power and never take gels to long before a race or they will cost you energy cause they take about 10min to digest.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i like clif shots, i think they taste good. power jell vanilla tastes like the icing that goes on the top of a toaster pastry. there is too much gel in a power gell thing for me. cliff shots are nice and small. they go down easy.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I use Hammer Gel for my 50K trail runs, all the flavors taste like crap but… in my experience all gels work. I consume 1oz per hour on all runs longer than 12 miles. I also tend to consume more if the event has lots of elevation gain. When you have been out on the trail for 5 or 6 hours what you tatse means nothing; you just want the calories and carbs that won’t upset your very empty stomach. When I am on a 50K I eat about 6oz of gel and 2 bananas and several salt tablets.

As a long distance trail runner I don’t really feel the need to gel up for anything less than 2 hours. It might be a good idea though… I ran a 10K today with 2 significant (for 10Ks) hills totaling 550 feet of gain. My time was off at 47:12, over 2 minutes slower than my last one… should have gel’d up! But, in my defense, it was raining and endurance runners are not always terribly fast.

Next time you run a 5K try ½ can of Coke or Pepsi that has gone flat – I once (a very long time ago) managed a high 20 on it.

Also - I now prefer jels in PLAIN flavor.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by laura

what does that taste like? i've been afraid of them.
It tastes like plain geletin but if you eat it with a sport drink you don't even notice it. If the taste of most gels bother you - I would try the plain. Try not to think of it as food, think of it as enery.