Quantcast

Clip Less pedals

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
I was wondering about clip less pedals. I was wanting to know how many of you use them on your Mountain bikes. I was riding this weekend and my feet kept slipping on the climbs. Just curious if it would be worthwhile for me to invest in some pedals and shoes.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I think if you are planning to do some XC-style riding that clipless is the way to go.

I have been riding clipless for about 12 years now and feel strange when I'm not clipped in!

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
I guess I will get some. Are the Shimano SPD-M536 a good first choice? They are $50 from Supergo. I don't want to spend too much but I would like some good ones.

R

RideMonkey

The Shimanos are pretty good. If you can spend a bit more, get the Times. Click in/release on the Time pedals is always consistent and would be a bit easier on someone who is learning the ins and outs of clipless.

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
One last question about shoes. I have a pair of Sidi motorcycle boots and I really like them. Is the sizing the same between the bicycle and motorcycle lines. Are they worth the extra money or should I look at another brand?
I just noticed the Answer. Are they decent I also have answer Motocross boots that are okay but not great. Is the quality similar to the bike shoes.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I really like my Shimano 545. I'll buy them again. In my opinion, the metal cage is a plus.

When I first had clipless, I had the impression it improved the ride even more than my first fork improved it.
That pretty much says it all...

Go for it!!! You won't regret it

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I am wrapping up my first season going clipless. I think they are definitely worth the investment. For me, the biggest improvement came on the climbs. I am still getting used to clipping in, but I would never go back to toe clips again. The learning curve isn't that bad. I've only had a couple of "Benny Hill" falls.

I was using the toe clips as little as four months ago. BIG difference with the clipless!!!!

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by Random
One last question about shoes. I have a pair of Sidi motorcycle boots and I really like them. Is the sizing the same between the bicycle and motorcycle lines. Are they worth the extra money or should I look at another brand?
I just noticed the Answer. Are they decent I also have answer Motocross boots that are okay but not great. Is the quality similar to the bike shoes.
I'm not sure about the size conversion, but in my opinion Sidis are the best shoes money can buy and worth every penny!

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
First, let's keep in mind that Ridemonkey's opinion usually doesn't count because he often forgets to take his medication and then next thing you know he's telling you about the great trails to ride on Mars. :eek:

But yeah, I switched back to clipless this year and it changed my riding immediately. Speedplay Frogs and Times I've been told are much better for shedding mud and better for "float" (which helps save your knees)...but yeah, they're way more expensive than Shimano SPD types.

If you (or anyone else) are interested, I have an old set of SPD type pedals that I was going to throw on ebay. I'll sell 'em to ya real cheap and you can decide if you like the clipless "feel" without spending a ton of money up front. It would be the pedals and cleats...you'd need to get yourself a pair of shoes. I'm not positive, but I think just about all shoes these days can accept almost any cleat style. Anyhow, like I said, just if you're interested...it's a cheap option.

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
Well, I got my pedals today and put them on. The old pedals were a pain to get off. But clipping in and out was easier than I thought it would be and it felt weird at first.
This weekend I will get to really try them out. I think it was a good move.

Well, I got my pedals today and put them on. The old pedals were a pain to get off. But clipping in and out was easier than I thought it would be and it felt weird at first.
This weekend I will get to really try them out. I think it was a good move.

Be sure to tell us about the first time you fall infront of a group cuz you can't unclip and they laugh at you.

It's kind of an initiation.

G

grommet

I ride platforms but my riding buddy wears clip less. We ride super technical and DH stuff in Vancouver (ie the shore) and the Times have alot of float and they let you move your feet a bit so the feel is supposedly pretty good.

DEMON

Chimp
Sep 20, 2001
maple ridge b.c.
i,m a big fan of clips , but have been experimenting with flats , its a big change when jumping and trying to keep your feet on the pedals through stutter /braking bumps , you don't really have to think when jumping with clips , flats on the other hand is scary , that no footer thing is erie , what i,ve found with the time i had on my flats was that i picked up some smoothness , its was more noticeable when i went back to clips. i use 636 pedals and answer bmx style shoes , i find these shoes work better than the xc shoes .

Nov 1, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
Random, I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to you. I switched to clipless this spring and had an embarassing moment my second day of clipless commuting... came up to a red light and stopped by the curb and fell over onto the median (luckily not into traffic).:angryfire Popped out real quick and jumped up like it had never happened and hoped that no commuters had noticed;) and put on a grin as the light turned green. Haven't done it since!!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by arcticwanderer
Random, I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to you. I switched to clipless this spring and had an embarassing moment my second day of clipless commuting... came up to a red light and stopped by the curb and fell over onto the median (luckily not into traffic).:angryfire Popped out real quick and jumped up like it had never happened and hoped that no commuters had noticed;) and put on a grin as the light turned green. Haven't done it since!!
Welcome Articwanderer! Actually, I think everyone has at least one story just like yours. I would be surprised if there was a clipless rider out there who has never made a fool of theiself like that. I know I have!

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
Yeah, that's what I was thinking Heidi....I don't know anyone w/clipless who hasn't toppled at least once trying a track stand at the light. And it almost ALWAYS involves plenty of specators! :rolleyes:

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
I am just glad you set the release loose cause the first time I tried a wheelie with them I started to fall but my feet just popped out without me even trying. Saved me some pain.

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
I am just glad you set the release loose cause the first time I tried a wheelie with them I started to fall but my feet just popped out without me even trying. Saved me some pain.
I'm assuming you're talking to me?
Has everything worked out with 'em so far?

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
I was talking to you. So far so good. I didn't get to ride last weekend so tomorrow I plan on giving them a try on the trails. I haven't had any problems in the lawn and streets yet.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Your gonna find that you have more control being clipped in..

Don't go bunny hop cray though, as this can cause pinch flats!!!!:eek: Ya see super genius me really lioke being clipped and found I can bring the bike higher in the air with me.

But ya see, over confidence sometimes takes ovfer and sometimes this causes you NOT to lift the rear wheel enough, and well,

Bang, pinch flat!!!

Another tip is to try using your hips more for balance and shifting your weight through the turns!!!!

Good luck!!

SandraR

Chimp
Nov 16, 2001
Houston, TX, Planet Earth
Heck, I used to think that I was the only one who liked those Shimano PD-545's! Some of my friends laugh at my "beginner pedals", but during the last good mud race, I had the last laugh!:thumb: I bought a second set for my FS bike.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I am wrapping up my first season going clipless. I think they are definitely worth the investment. For me, the biggest improvement came on the climbs. I am still getting used to clipping in, but I would never go back to toe clips again. The learning curve isn't that bad. I've only had a couple of "Benny Hill" falls.

I was using the toe clips as little as four months ago. BIG difference with the clipless!!!!

4 months?
Sheesh!!!
Clipless are da BOMB!!!

I even like them for DH b/c it is tougher to get "Rattled" off teh pedals.

Hee hee, I still feel dumb when I think about my most embarassing fall on the clipless.

I was out with a girl friend on a very flat trail cruising along, this was my first time out on clipless. Since it was so flat and pretty deserted, we didn't stop once for over an hour. We finally came to an intersection and there happened to be some cute guys riding toward us. I was trying to suck my stomach in and hoping my butt wasn't jiggling too much and as I came to a stop I flashed them the prettiest cutest smile I could muster... and promptly fell over. I was too busy preening to remember that I was clipped in! Those guys had a good laugh. So did my friend. :o:

Lesson: biking and flirting don't mix!

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
XC, DH, or DS... I swear by them... I do recommend having a pair of flats incase you come across a course that requires a lot of foot planting or balance checking... but definitely go for it!!!!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by dirtgirl
Hee hee, I still feel dumb when I think about my most embarassing fall on the clipless.

I was out with a girl friend on a very flat trail cruising along, this was my first time out on clipless. Since it was so flat and pretty deserted, we didn't stop once for over an hour. We finally came to an intersection and there happened to be some cute guys riding toward us. I was trying to suck my stomach in and hoping my butt wasn't jiggling too much and as I came to a stop I flashed them the prettiest cutest smile I could muster... and promptly fell over. I was too busy preening to remember that I was clipped in! Those guys had a good laugh. So did my friend. :o:

Lesson: biking and flirting don't mix!

I would NEVER laugh at you!!!

I swear!!!:rolleyes:

I'd be lookin for the smile!!!:)

To revive this old thread, I have a question re. adjusting clipless pedals. I've only been on mine about 2 months, and I consistently have trouble unclipping my right foot.

This led to another incredibly embarrassing moment on Saturday when I was just standing around chatting with some friends during a break on a ride and accidentally shifted weight too far and then slowly toppled over.

Can anyone point me to any guidelines (online or off) for how correctly adjust the clips to my body positioning/alignment (or whatever you call it)?

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
there are tension screws that can be adjusted to make it easier or harder to get out.

And when you talk about aligning the clips, do you mean your cleats on your shoes? If so, you just need to find what's comfortable for you... sometimes it takes a few adjustments to find the "sweet spot".

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
To revive this old thread, I have a question re. adjusting clipless pedals. I've only been on mine about 2 months, and I consistently have trouble unclipping my right foot.

This led to another incredibly embarrassing moment on Saturday when I was just standing around chatting with some friends during a break on a ride and accidentally shifted weight too far and then slowly toppled over.

Can anyone point me to any guidelines (online or off) for how correctly adjust the clips to my body positioning/alignment (or whatever you call it)?
You may also want to spray them with WD40 to keep any rust or corrosion from forming. For me the sweet spot is were I can spin, but if I have to in an emergenct damn near rip my foot out of the clip.

Just my $0.02

Originally posted by DHRacer
there are tension screws that can be adjusted to make it easier or harder to get out.

And when you talk about aligning the clips, do you mean your cleats on your shoes? If so, you just need to find what's comfortable for you... sometimes it takes a few adjustments to find the "sweet spot".
yeah, I got the tension screws on a pretty loose setting. I guess I meant the cleats. I've tried adjusting them and guess I still need to just keep trying more for that "sweet spot". I was just wondering if there is any guide to finding that sweet spot! :)

Jan 14, 2002
Zwolle, the Netherlands

I don't know, I can do some pretty boneheaded things that make even the most serious crack a smile. :p

yeah, I got the tension screws on a pretty loose setting. I guess I meant the cleats. I've tried adjusting them and guess I still need to just keep trying more for that "sweet spot". I was just wondering if there is any guide to finding that sweet spot! :)
and we didn't even laugh, or did we? :rolleyes:

:thumb: