Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Coil Fork- long travel

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
In particularily dry conditions there is no faster fork on a bicycle than an air fork because of air damping closer to maximum travel. Racers prefer this fork primarily.

However the coil fork have gained notoriety for being bullet-proof when seals blow out. Plus it is rated the best fork because it can be so plush and remains in motion, particularly in 'wet' conditions.

Which way do you go with a bicycle built to race and ride the north shore at the 100mm or long travel settings?

Reliability counts. . .

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
there is no faster fork on a bicycle than an air fork because of air damping closer to maximum travel. Racers prefer this fork primarily.
Let me get this straight - are you saying that air forks can achieve closer to their max travel?

Ummm, NO. Where did you get an idea like that? My coil forks bottom out occasionally, and if you use Marzocchi forks, you've no doubt noticed that they usually use at least 90% of their travel on normal stuff (excluding if you raise the oil height...). Racers prefer them because they're lighter, not because of any percieved additional travel...:rolleyes:

On the other hand, if you're talking about a more progressive feel at the end of the travel, then I'd discard that argument immediately. Add 10mm of extra oil to each leg of a Zokie and you'll get REALLY progressive really fast. Again, it's not progressiveness the attracts the racers, it's weight.

To actually answer your question, I infinitely prefer a coil fork, primarily for feel, and secondarily (sp?) for durability. Weight is not that much of a factor for me (my race fork is a Z.2 BAM coil). For racing AND northshore? Those are kinda diametrically opposed, but if you had to do it, a 100mm coil would probably be best.....

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I had a FOX air shock on my last Turner bike. I thought it was not bad until I tried a coil shock. No comparison. The air shock made it so you could call it full suspension, but the coil shock really worked. I still have an air shock kicking around, and the new Slayers come with one, but I've tried em both on the Slayer and again, no comparison. Give me coil over oil and I'll gladly pay the slight weight penalty. I also have a SID air fork on my XC race bike. It's great because it smooths things out a bit and it's light, but it doesn't keep the front end on the ground like my Marzocchi Z-1's. I wouldn't use air on anything but a serious race bike.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I have never ridden an air fork. But I do know a lot about suspension and rebound affect having built dies and such (they use nitro and sometimes springs) I know how reliable springs are and how difficult it is to damage springs. The components are tough and having looked inside a marzocchi a few times I feel confident riding one.

Air might wig me out a bit. I would be comfortable with nitro but I would break my arms trying to compress it ;)