Quantcast

Colleges for DH/FR and Snowboarding...

Gnar

Chimp
May 14, 2004
ATL
I'm starting to send out my applications and was wondering if any of you guys have had any good experiences with colleges out West in the Rockies. I am pretty much choosing colleges based on the best locations for riding. Right now, I'm stuck here in good ole' Georgia(sucks). I am looking for ones that have great riding for my bike(Heavy downhill, Freeride parks, DJ's) as well as my snowboard. Please.....enlighten me.

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
You'd probably be happy with CU Boulder, especially if you're into snowboarding. UBC in Vancouver would also be a rad place to go to school for winter sports and riding. Problem with those two is there's snow in the mountains during a good part of the school year... so you can't always ride. UC Santa Cruz has great riding year round... but it's a 4~5 hour drive to go snowboarding in the winter.

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
CU- Boulder sounds like a good choice for what you're looking for. I'm sure there's quite a few others as well. It's a decent school in a good location, spendy for sure though.

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
Originally posted by mtnbkr4235
Have you looked at Fort Lewis in Durango? That would probably be another good place to look at.:rolleyes:
and totally free if you can prove native american lineage anywhere (at least 1/16th, I think)

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Hey Gnar,

You might wanna look into University of California, Santa Barbara (aka UCSB). I know, I know... there's no snow in SoCal. However, there is snow in Mammoth, and although it's not too close to Santa Barbara, just listen to me on this one.

Santa Barbara has some super-sick riding, some of the best trails I've ever ridden. Anybody on this board who's spent time in SB will probably agree with me.

As far as snowboarding goes, you gotta join the UCSB Ski and Snowboard Team. They take trips to Mammoth every other weekend; I got 30 days of skiing this year, and I've never lived farther from a ski resort in my life (originally from SF Bay Area). $200 gets you lodging for the whole season, we cram a bunch of people into a couple condos, and you ski all day and party all night. I've never had more fun in my life.

Another bonus of going to UCSB is that the campus is literally on the beach. I can see the ocean from my dorm room. It's not a bad place to be by any standards. Here's a pic:

Also, here's a link to some general campus info:

http://www.ucsb.edu/campus/index.shtml

Look into it, it's a great school with a lot to offer, and I can imagine that it'll be a nice change of scenery from what you'd get in Georgia.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
cu boulder
university of montana in missoula is where im going incredible riding on both seasons and canada is just a few hours away
ucsb- where im transfering sophmore or junior year- hot girls, beach, sick riding and mammoth

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Nothing to see here in Colorado... move along... no good schools, snow sucks, riding is horrible... again, nothing to see here...

:D

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by Full Trucker
Nothing to see here in Colorado... move along... no good schools, snow sucks, riding is horrible... again, nothing to see here...

:D
Schools in Colorado? Decent. Snow? Not as much of it as we get in the Sierras :D. Riding? Well, ok....

But you don't have beaches and bikini-clad women everywhere you look!

Also...

Hey Dexter,

If you're coming to UCSB any time soon, hit me up, I'll show you around, etc. I recommend transferring here ASAP. Montana ain't got sh!t on Santa Barbara.

special O

Chimp
Dec 5, 2002
screw the rockies move to the beach (santa cruz, san luis obispo, santa barbara, irvine, san diego or the like) ditch the snowboard, get a surfboard, ride awesome waves and awesome trails, best weather in the world. cant beat it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
University of Tennessee, Knoxville. I know its not out west, but its close to Atlanta and we have Windrock. Plus all the riding so close by...Wolf, Sugar, Pisgah, etc. And mommy won't be too far away... :p On second thought... out west seems good. :cool:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
University of Montana in Missoula.... Tons of riding, boarding, fishing, hunting, etc. It was just rates the #1 town to live in with a population under 100k in Mens magazine. It took me 3 years of riding to find most of the trails. There is so much riding you cant imagine.