Quantcast

Colonial House

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Anybody watched this series on PBS, I think they originally did Frontier House or something like that?

Man talk about the best "reality tv" ever. I use reality tv loosely too.

I started watching it last night and it came up on 12:30am before I realised what time it was. It's a great show and it makes people work together instead of fighting. All the while you get a history lesson.

Here's a link for more info.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/colonialhouse/

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Cool! I did watch the "Frontier House" series a couple years back. What a beautiful place they had to scrabble.....

There was also an English series called "Victorian House" or some such that was entertaining.

-S.S.-

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by MMcG
I do - when does it air again?
It's on again tonight. Click the link above and you can do a search.
It's on late enough so you're bound to be home to watch it.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
That looks like a good show to me. PBS has a lot of good programs anyway. I woud watch it if it was winter but now I'm always outside. I think it would be interesting to be on a real reality show, one where you actually get along with other people and not fight, where the only way to fix a problem is to get along. There need to be more shows like this.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by dwaugh
That looks like a good show to me. PBS has a lot of good programs anyway. I woud watch it if it was winter but now I'm always outside. I think it would be interesting to be on a real reality show, one where you actually get along with other people and not fight, where the only way to fix a problem is to get along. There need to be more shows like this.

The show was on from 10pm till 12am so it was late enough that I was inside.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Originally posted by SkaredShtles
There was also an English series called "Victorian House" or some such that was entertaining.

-S.S.-

I kept waiting for the mom to loose it. She came close a couple of times. Going on the show was all her idea too.

I haven't seen the new one. It looks good though.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I watched a lot of the last series that aired on PBS. I gotta say it is very intriguing to see how they match modern day people to colonial living. I first starting thinking that it shouldn't be that big of deal for people to make it four months in the rugged environment but then I considered that when one is accomodated to the likes of indoor plumbing, microwaves, tvs, etc...it would be very difficult to adapt, especially the children. The people that came over here 400 years ago were already accustomed to harsh living. Basically, technology has made us all soft. The whole concept is definitely food for the brain.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Mr Tiles
I watched a lot of the last series that aired on PBS. I gotta say it is very intriguing to see how they match modern day people to colonial living. I first starting thinking that it shouldn't be that big of deal for people to make it four months in the rugged environment but then I considered that when one is accomodated to the likes of indoor plumbing, microwaves, tvs, etc...it would be very difficult to adapt, especially the children. The people that came over here 400 years ago were already accustomed to harsh living. Basically, technology has made us all soft. The whole concept is definitely food for the brain.

Yes it is and I really like the fact that they have to work together instead of sitting on a tropical island fighting with each other.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Sorry to be "bumping up my own thread"

but I was wondering if anybody watched it last night.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I watched it until about 12am. Do you think the gay dude should have been punished? I see a lot of "watering down" going on like that and the Sabbath offenders. I thought the whole purpose of the show was to do away with modern idealism and conform to those of the colonial times...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I watched it until about 12am. Do you think the gay dude should have been punished? I see a lot of "watering down" going on like that and the Sabbath offenders. I thought the whole purpose of the show was to do away with modern idealism and conform to those of the colonial times...

Yep, after last nights show I feel the same way. It seems like it got watered down. The dude who left and went into town should have been banished and sent home. The sabbath offenders should have been more severly punished. The dude didnt' even get anything. It was nice to see some side of the boob action though. :)

I think the Governor is lax due to his baptist beliefs.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
You could look at the governor a couple of different ways. He is really holding to his beliefs in my opion. He should push for the Sabbath offenders' punishment if he really believes the law should be enforced. He could have come down hard on the guy that took off but he didn't in order to keep the peace, which in some cases is the easy way out. I missed the boob shot, please elaborate...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
You could look at the governor a couple of different ways. He is really holding to his beliefs in my opion. He should push for the Sabbath offenders' punishment if he really believes the law should be enforced. He could have come down hard on the guy that took off but he didn't in order to keep the peace, which in some cases is the easy way out. I missed the boob shot, please elaborate...

It was a side shot not direct but the couple with the child who didn't go to sabbath went skinny dipping. She's ok looking... kinda a MILF.

ubergirl

Chimp
Mar 3, 2004
michigan
I saw the first installment of Colonial House... what have I missed?! The first Govenor and his family left and the he came back alone...

and that woman is so not good looking! besides, she has an attitude problem. her poor husband never saw what hit him!