Quantcast

Commuter packs and setups

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I don't commute by bike that often but would like to start doing so more. I've been using a Chrome messenger bag for years and years, and it's reasonably comfortable-ish but doesn't really carry all that well. I like that it has a couple of side-sleeve type pockets that can carry a Nalgene of water and a thermos of coffee. I like that it carries a 15" laptop easily, but don't like that the main compartment is just a super open space in which the laptop flails around in. But I also like that it's a big open space because it'll hold different size/shape of things when needed. Considering some sort of Chrome or Timbuk2 bike-y/commuter-y specific-y backpack.

Thoughts? What's your setup? Talk to me, chieves.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I participated in the Kickstarter campaign that was mentioned even here, by a small company in india. It has some major safety features and fancy stuff. It is nice but I haven't used it yet (as my hope for a job closer to home hasn't materialized, yet).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tubus rack. Evo? Not sure which one I got ultimately. Ortlieb Backroller panniers. Plenty big to fit laptops, etc.

Nothing on my back.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Are you on the roadie? I've got a rack and pannier we could discuss.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I have been using a Chrome Metropolis bag for the last 7 years. They don't seem to make it anymore. It is huge. You can fit a 12 pack and your work clothes in it with room to spare. It only has the one big pocket and 2 side pockets for shoes. I like it because it helps me be able to run errands with my bike instead of my car. If you find yourself having to bring home groceries or pounds of weed, this may be the bag for you.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Patagonia Refugio 28L in bright yellow for the visibilities, served me well for many years in NYC bike commuting.
Laptop sleeve, big main compartment, other front compartment with nooks, outside sleeves to fit a water bottle.

edit: I have a bike airhorn that you can have if you want that I took off my commuter when I sold it. Very effective for making vehicle drivers aware of your existence.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

No need for a pack, and you earn endureau points for nothing on your back.

seriously. I have one on my summer commuter. I have sorely missed it on my winter commuter. Double bonus points for "Made in 'Murica"

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

No need for a pack, and you earn endureau points for nothing on your back.

seriously. I have one on my summer commuter. I have sorely missed it on my winter commuter. Double bonus points for "Made in 'Murica"
put an alien in there and you can fly

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I have an Osprey Radial that I rather like. It has a proper laptop pocket, mesh suspension to keep your back from getting too sweaty, the right amount of zipped pockets and some good side and back open pockets and integral rainfly. Side pockets are a little small, a bike water bottle will fit but not a Nalgene.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/radial-26-RADIAL26_550.html
This actually looks real nice. Do you have the bigger one or the smaller one?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Patagonia Refugio 28L in bright yellow for the visibilities, served me well for many years in NYC bike commuting.
Laptop sleeve, big main compartment, other front compartment with nooks, outside sleeves to fit a water bottle.

edit: I have a bike airhorn that you can have if you want that I took off my commuter when I sold it. Very effective for making vehicle drivers aware of your existence.
Hmmm... need to find some pics of the inside. The Golden Jungle color is on sale at Backcountry.com for $54 or some shit.

EDIT: looking at specs on the Patagucci site says this pack is 19 x 12 x 8... I have a backpack I tried out that's 17" tall and it's WAY too short and doesn't carry worth a crap. 19" might be fine, 21" would be better.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
this all seems like a hassle ... wouldn't it be easier to just stop commuting to work? :hmm:
I mean, I do have this option... sorta. BUT. I find my day is much more productive when I have a get-outta-the-house routine and a workspace that doesn't involve my kitchen table. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This actually looks real nice. Do you have the bigger one or the smaller one?

I have the smaller one. It is plenty big enough to carry a normal sized laptop and anything else I would normally need in a day. I did have a honking huge tech laptop that was a little too big for the laptop pocket but would fit in the main compartment. My new large tech laptop fits fine. It was big enough to use as my only luggage for a weekend long trip to L.A. for a friends wedding.

My only complaint is that the side pockets could be larger. I prefer nalgene sized pockets. The new models seem to have a different shaped side pocket than mine. Not sure if they are bigger or smaller. Mine has a simple mesh style. The large rear mesh pocket is nice.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hmmm... need to find some pics of the inside. The Golden Jungle color is on sale at Backcountry.com for $54 or some shit.

EDIT: looking at specs on the Patagucci site says this pack is 19 x 12 x 8... I have a backpack I tried out that's 17" tall and it's WAY too short and doesn't carry worth a crap. 19" might be fine, 21" would be better.
Mine's a few years old so I can't guarantee it's the same as current design and dimensions if i measured it.