Quantcast

Commuter/road frame recommendations?

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I was hoping that you guys would be able to give me some input on picking out a new frame.

I'd like a fairly inexpensive steel frame, and in terms of geometry, I thought I had it narrowed down to the Soma Doublecross or the Surly Crosscheck thinking I could use it for a couple of Cx races. Then reality set in.... with 2 little kiddos at home, I'm going to spend 99% of my time on this bike commuting 20 miles to and from work and nothing else.

Fender mounts would be nice. Not too hung up on riding anything larger than a 28c tire.

So having said that, do you think I should reconsider the Cx frame? Maybe look at the Soma Smoothie or something similar?

Thanks.

splat

Nam I am
My first question is what does the commute look like ? road conditions , how dark , How much stuff are you going to be carrying , etc

I personally in the summer I ride my Road Bike, in the winter a Mt Bike with Slicks ( except during snow then its the studded snow tires )

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I believe both of the cross frames you mention would fit your needs. They have fender mounts

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Road conditions are pretty good - not without some potholes and rough road, but no dirt or gravel. As for cargo, I just carry a commuter backpack - no racks or panniers.

For now I'm riding a pretty stiff aluminum frame with 23c tires on it, and everything is working fine, but the frame is too big for me..... that's why I'm looking at a new frame.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I believe both of the cross frames you mention would fit your needs. They have fender mounts
Yeah. I guess I was wondering if there would be any meaningful advantage in getting a road frame vs. Cx (geometry, faster, etc.) since my commute isn't really far nor rough.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I use the Pake C'Mute frame, and it rides really well. It has fender/rack mounts, and a comfortable geometry for commuting/longer rides...
Thanks for the input. I actually just started looking at that frame. The geometry looks really similar to the doublecross

Apr 22, 2011
Really nice bike. Pretty dead on to how I will build mine.

What is the frame size?

Is that SRAM Rival I see?

What are the wheels?

How is the ride so far?

Thanks!