Quantcast

Compact Bar?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
During my fitting it was recommended that I go with a compact bar, but it appears that each manufacturer has their own idea of what compact is. Is there a general definition? I'm not really sure what to buy.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Not totally sure if everyone would agree, but I think compact bars are usually less than about 80mm of reach and less than about 130mm of drop. Most bars labeled compact also have the sort of "new ergo" shape- more gradually/smoothly bending in the drops and a pretty flat transition to the hoods. That, at least, is how I understand it.

I was looking into compact bars a little while ago. I ended up buying a frame that came with Bontrager VR bars, so I didn't buy any (happy with the Bontragers, but the drop is a little more than most compact bars at 135). I was looking at 3T (Ergonova, Ergosum), PRO (PLT) and a few FSA models.

What bars are you running now?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I didn't get fitted on my race bike because its in pieces right now. The bars on my race bike are 78/132 but the bars on my training bike are something like 82/140 (which is the bike I was fit on). I'll look for a bar with under 80 reach.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I tried 3T Ergosums and thought them to shallow. I ride a Deda Newton or a 3T Rotundo. I tried a Race Lite VR recently and it's near perfect. Could have a longer drop, but nearly perfect in bend and reach.