Quantcast

Compaq ipaq 4150

anyone have one - or similar?

it says "integrated wlan 802.11b, bluetooth wireless technology." so basically, I want it to be able to 1. connect to my wireless router at home and 2. connect to hot spots such as starbucks when I go out - will this do it as is or do I hafta buy other stuff?

I'm no expert on this.

802.11b is one of the recent wireless standards.

Whether the ipaq will talk to your routers at home and in the office depends in part on whether the routers are new enough to support the standard. If they're fairly new, they should.

The second part is setting the ipaq up with encryption keys, etc. for each place you want to use it (You and IRB have of course set up proper security on your home wireless network, and your IT staff at work should provide the needed info at that end...)

So what I'm saying, with no guarantees, is that I think it should work.

As for connecting at Starbucks, I'd want to know before connecting any of my devices what safeguards they have to prevent my system from being compromised when using their network.

J

Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
I'm no expert on this.

802.11b is one of the recent wireless standards.

Whether the ipaq will talk to your routers at home and in the office depends in part on whether the routers are new enough to support the standard. If they're fairly new, they should.

The second part is setting the ipaq up with encryption keys, etc. for each place you want to use it (You and IRB have of course set up proper security on your home wireless network, and your IT staff at work should provide the needed info at that end...)

So what I'm saying, with no guarantees, is that I think it should work.

As for connecting at Starbucks, I'd want to know before connecting any of my devices what safeguards they have to prevent my system from being compromised when using their network.

J
I'm fairly confident in my understanding of firewalls and wireless security measures. I just want to know if they'll work out of the box. (yes, between bluetooth and 801.11b - they'll be on the same standard).

THANKS JBP.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you should be set. 802.11b is the old standard. the original one popularized by apple airport, if that makes more sense. :D and also the one used in airport lounges and at starbucks. plus i haven't heard of a wireless router that doesn't support b, even if it is a 802.11g box.

Originally posted by Toshi
you should be set. 802.11b is the old standard. the original one popularized by apple airport, if that makes more sense. :D and also the one used in airport lounges and at starbucks. plus i haven't heard of a wireless router that doesn't support b, even if it is a 802.11g box.
THAT'S WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR! Thanks guys!

I'm gonna surf ridemonkey from starbucks!

edit.....wait a sec... so should I buy the g?

http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/product.asp?loc=692&sku=10336386&wl=1