Quantcast

Comparing all the manufacturers' idea of "size small"

RattPoison

Chimp
May 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've researched this for a while and found conflicting feedback from posts/threads.

I rode a small Sunday and I want something that fits smaller. Same thing with the small 7point...

There's an 06 DHR for sale. I've heard both sides of this story: DHR in a size small: bigger or smaller fitting than a size small Sunday?

What the hell is the geometry of the 06 DHR, anyways?(searched the net)

I hear Transition Blindsides run small. Even though Effective Top Tube measurements can mean nothing, they list their's as a 21.6. I'm not crazy about the standover height.

Any other brands to consider? There's an XS giant glory FR(not DH), but I'm not too crazy about a higher bottom bracket and 43" wheelbase.. but maybe that's what I need.

Sov

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
This a link to Turner's 06 catalogue, which contains geometry charts:
http://www.turnerbikes.com/Catalog/TurnerCatalog.pdf

FWIW, I'm 5'7 and picked up a med 06 DHR a few weeks ago. I think the fit is great - a touch smaller than my old medium VP-Free. That being said, I often wonder how a small would ride. Not very common over here though.

I've only ever done a carpark ride on a medium Sunday, so didn't really get much of a feel for it.

How tall (or short...) are you?

Last edited:

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
So, being 5'6" I have tried/owned bunches of different bikes ( below ) to find a good fitting true Small DH frame. Small Blindside is not a true small IMHO. I built one up and sold it as it built up bigger than I had thought it would be.

V10 small is very tall. Intense M3 is a true small with very good standover height. Specialized Demo 7 small is a good fitting bike with a low slung fork. New DHR appears to fit like a true small as the TT drops a bit before the saddle but the standover is still at 30". Kona Stinky small has a low standover as well and fit well when I rode one at Whistler.

This season I am on a new Sunday small and to me it fits like a true small bike. Very happy with the bike in both fit and performance. Yes my team is sponsored by IH but the bike fits me and rides great.

Bikes I have not tried and would seem to fit like a true size small are Orange 224 EVO, Morewood Izimu DH, Ventana EL Cuervo small I believe has a low standover and is a great bike.

Good luck. As travel has increased so have small bike sizes.

RattPoison

Chimp
May 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
Wow, that is some great feedback. I looked up the gambler and called Canfield Brothers directly to see how I can setup a pro deal to my shop.

Here are my choices:

An Intense M3, Giant Glory DH XS, Giant Glory FR XS, or Canfield Jedi.

BUT, consider this: A small Sunday is still too big! Standover is nice, but how long the bike is (whether you call it downtube length, or whatever else to measure this virtual sizing on bikes we stand on) is also important.

Ideally, I'd get a Giant Glory DH XS, but Giant is out of them in the wherehouses. The Canfield brothers frame is small, but it's expensive!

Take a chance with a small M3? There's plenty of used smalls. Anybody have personal experiences and opinions of sizing of that vs. the Sunday small, for example?

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
My 05 Small M3 fit a bit smaller than my 08 Sunday. 05 M3 had a bit steeper HA than the Sunday and a 22" TT Vs. 22.5" on the Sunday. Personally I would lower the front end of the Sunday and ignore the temptation of the M3. If you are looking for a shorter TT I would look at Freeride frames Vs DH frames.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
Wow, that is some great feedback. I looked up the gambler and called Canfield Brothers directly to see how I can setup a pro deal to my shop.

Here are my choices:

An Intense M3, Giant Glory DH XS, Giant Glory FR XS, or Canfield Jedi.

BUT, consider this: A small Sunday is still too big! Standover is nice, but how long the bike is (whether you call it downtube length, or whatever else to measure this virtual sizing on bikes we stand on) is also important.

Ideally, I'd get a Giant Glory DH XS, but Giant is out of them in the wherehouses. The Canfield brothers frame is small, but it's expensive!

Take a chance with a small M3? There's plenty of used smalls. Anybody have personal experiences and opinions of sizing of that vs. the Sunday small, for example?

how small are you? i test fitted a small Sunday at a LBS, and it felt fine to me...and im 5'5"

EDIT: nm. saw your other post. most DH bikes small sizes are 21-22" top tube. is that too long for you? maybe you just have short arms...
my shorty R9's stand over is pretty high, but when im on it, and the suspension sags, i can get both feet down. the top tube length is perfect for me though

Last edited:

RattPoison

Chimp
May 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I'm pretty short. Probably closer to 5'4. My girlfriends are always 5'5/5'4 and like to say I'm shorter than them. Let's say I'm 5'3 just for the hell of it. :biggrin:

Yeah, all of those size smalls listed have always fit too large for me. Even on road/XC bikes. I think I really have to shoot for an XS. I currently ride a Norco XS Six freeride bike.

RattPoison

Chimp
May 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
Okay, I've got one more option. After talking to my Giant rep, the 09s are shipping out. (BTW, the 09 Glory is same as the 08. Just blue/black, in case there is any confusion). I can get an 09 frame, but in small only. No more XS's after 08.

Anybody have a Glory size small comparison with any of the other brands? 21.9 Effective top tube.. 44.6 wheelbase...