Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
What's wrong with a single ply DHF? they're all I run on the front all year round on my hardtail and short travel bike.
I can't speak for toodles, but the DHR2 has better braking than the DHF, and it's about 100g lighter, which can be a benefit for some riders. There's nothing wrong with a DHF (I've been happily running on one the front for awhile on my trail bike), but the DHR2 is a good option as well up front.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Oh I totally rate the DHF, just trying to minimise the amount of weight I'm chucking on my already overweight trail bike. Have never tried on on the rear for trail riding, not sure how much bite it would have on *cough* climbs *cough*.

Will grab one of the DHR2s and try it on the front first.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What does a single ply DHR2 weigh then? under 700g? I find that hard to believe. How does it save that 100g? (lighter casing, bead, less tread? all 3?) Curious. never used one.
Front braking un-performance of a DHF has never really fussed me. Certainly wouldn't mind trying a DHF2 but they're £15 ($24) more than an old DHFs over here and with 9 bikes and fuck knows how many kids to shoe... ;)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
ha ha... that's quite a spectacular weight saving :D

I predict your bike will feel like an E-bike uphill next ride! ;)

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Here's a link to weighing pics for

• Minion DHF in 26 x 2.5 EXO MaxxTerra 3C - 867 g
  • Minion DHR 2 in 26 x 2.4 EXO MaxxTerra 3C - 893 g
  • High Roller 2 in 26 x 2.3 EXO MaxxTerra 3C Tubeless ready - 848 g
https://goo.gl/photos/TFyaeU22yRuqX78X9
Ah damn - just got the DHR 2s. Maxxis claimed they're 10% lighter than a DHF. Will check the weight of mine when I get a chance but I think they'll be a good tyre anyway. Plus they were on special for $40 AUD each vs. $65 for the Minion DHF.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Anyone think the new DD casing from Maxxis will be OK for a dh bike if you tend to be easier on tires/wheels?

For anyone who does not know yet, it is like a double thick EXO casing.

-Brett

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Ah damn - just got the DHR 2s. Maxxis claimed they're 10% lighter than a DHF. Will check the weight of mine when I get a chance but I think they'll be a good tyre anyway. Plus they were on special for $40 AUD each vs. $65 for the Minion DHF.
You won't regret your order, good deal on a good tire. I love it when it gets steep.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
What does a single ply DHR2 weigh then? under 700g? I find that hard to believe. How does it save that 100g? (lighter casing, bead, less tread? all 3?) Curious. never used one.
Front braking un-performance of a DHF has never really fussed me. Certainly wouldn't mind trying a DHF2 but they're £15 ($24) more than an old DHFs over here and with 9 bikes and fuck knows how many kids to shoe... ;)
I've weighed a bunch of tires, and the 27.5 x 2.3 EXO TR DHF tires are around 860g, while the DHR2's in the same casing and size are about 760g. I know that doesn't exactly match the claimed weights on the Maxxis website, but that's what I've seen measuring them myself.
I'm not sure where the difference comes from, but my guess would be that the DHR2 center knobs are not as tall, but maybe there's something else going on also. 100g seems like a big difference for knobs that are slightly less tall, though.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I know we're all too cool to care about tyre weights, but I weighed my freshly delivered Minion DHR2s last night. Got some for a mate as well so chucked them all on the scale. 810 - 825g in the end.

Weight dorkiness aside, they were a good price and look awesome so I'm keen to check them out.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If Maxxis doesn't make their 2.3 26" tires in that DD casing I'm going to their HQ and punching the first person I meet in the face.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
You're coming into your dry season, those things are good. Way better on hardpack than the HR2s.
I dont know...I was running a 2.3 3c DHF/slaughter combo for a couple months and just swapped back to a 2.4 60a Hr2/slaughter combo and I think Im preferring the HR2 up front...it is so blown out right now that there is allot of loose on top so maybe thats the case...After my first slaughter I wasnt convinced so I put a DHF on the back...didn't realize how good the slaughter was...It works good in deep loose dry stuff as well...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The 60a versions are the only rideable ones IMO. I still fold those knobs over and beat the ground with my face with those things though. They're better than the very first gen mold but the blockier knobs on the minions just hold on and slide more evenly to me.

I do think they're really good in deep dry loose junk.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I take back everything that I said about my new Ardent tires a few pages back.

The air pressure inside of them is much lower now and they are golden.

Haters. :brows:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I take back everything that I said about my new Ardent tires a few pages back.

The air pressure inside of them is much lower now and they are golden.

Haters. :brows:
An ardent something or other came on the back of my bike this year, I have found that the tire is VERY dependent on having the perfect PSI, or it sucks ass, but when the PSI/conditions match up it works well.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
On stupid fat e13 rims sure.

But on a strong size rim less than 28mm................
Let me know when they make one of those. Can't see it happening w/ the direction e13 is going these days.

That looks way better than any minion. They took the sideknobs straight from the greatest tread ever made.
The Dart/Smoke have slightly different-shaped side knobs... not quite like this :D
Or are you talking a more losely spaced bling bling?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure those tires will go on a 23mm rim from another company. That's what I meant. It will round it out more and open up the gap between the sides and centers. It looks like ass in the picture on that 27mm evil rim.

Also..........

Thegreatesttiretreadevermade™

The e13 looks like its brother.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Would be nice if they staggered the center knobs against the side knobs.
Interestingly, that is the case on the CAD model shown, but not on the physical pictured tires. I wonder why the discrepancy exists.

Edit: pictured sample is the first version, CAD model is the update.

Last edited: