Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
(...)

Thegreatesttiretreadevermade™

The e13 looks like its brother.
Full ack! Had my first ride on it this weekend mounted out front. Reminded me on ye good ol' C16 days.

I also really like its casing which is quite more stable than EXO. To my personal surprise it was a really easy to mount tubeless too, one try one hit.

Has anybody tried it on the rear wheel?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There's a reason I call it the greatest TREAD ever, and not the greatest tire. I've split one on the rear (heh).

I wish they were lighter for my trail bike and I wish they were bigger and sturdier for my dh bike.

Mostly I just wish there were way more versions of it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Ridemonkey should design a tire, call it the Woo! 26" & 650B and look something like a Minion/WildR/G5, $50, 1200g and 850g versions.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
WTB should take a play from their own playbook and dress the Vigilante tire in the rubber from the Trailblazer. Support is great. On-center feel is terrific. The FR version wore quicker than greased owl poop.
I have a Trailblazer for a year now on a Karate Monkey, well over 750miles of road and trail, still looks fresh.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
WTB should take a play from their own playbook and dress the Vigilante tire in the rubber from the Trailblazer. Support is great. On-center feel is terrific. The FR version wore quicker than greased owl poop.
I have a Trailblazer for a year now on a Karate Monkey, well over 750miles of road and trail, still looks fresh.
No hablo WTB.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What I heard when reading that post: Zane should really fall back on the soul of One Direction. The synth pop sounds from that era revolutionized what we all thought was possible. Dancibility was fantastic while maintaining true integrity as an artist. I had Up all Night and and listened to it exclusively for 9 months and it still sounds fresh.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
What I heard when reading that post: Zane should really fall back on the soul of One Direction. The synth pop sounds from that era revolutionized what we all thought was possible. Dancibility was fantastic while maintaining true integrity as an artist. I had Up all Night and and listened to it exclusively for 9 months and it still sounds fresh.
Just hoping for whatever Trailblazer rubber is left over once made can be scooped up, packed down, replace the rubber on Vigilante.
Got turned onto Reverend Gary Davis yesterday Woo, no need for synth-stuff right now.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Given up on the DHR II on the front for most my trails and going back to a DHF. I seriously doubt anything will beat it on the combination of powdery dust and gravel that makes up 90% of south east QLD trails.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
FUCK YEAH 26" VERSION!!!!
"What about a Minion SS for 26" wheels? Maxxis says they're on the way, and should be available in the spring of 2016." That's what I call perfect timing, skiing season over, skidding season on.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Slaughters man.

Make you forget all about them dirt packing little minions.
I want to try those too, but moar options are never a bad thing. Now if the Specialized shop that's just down the street from my place would just carry the damn things...

I also don't get your deal on dirt packup. I've still got one of the Michelin BestRockrTreadAwesomeSauceOfAllTimes on the front of the MT, and even in the shitty weather we've been having, they clear okay. I guess I'm riding in stuff that's kinda loamy, so it's not like it's peanut butter clay shit, but so far so good.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I want to try those too, but moar options are never a bad thing. Now if the Specialized shop that's just down the street from my place would just carry the damn things...
the S shop down the street from me doesn't carry them either, but i asked them to get me some and they did!
i swear we're living in the future.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I also don't get your deal on dirt packup. I've still got one of the Michelin BestRockrTreadAwesomeSauceOfAllTimes on the front of the MT, and even in the shitty weather we've been having, they clear okay. I guess I'm riding in stuff that's kinda loamy, so it's not like it's peanut butter clay shit, but so far so good.
As long as I'm not in the desert, our dirt is pretty pack free here too until it gets to the mud puddle slime stage. I've just ridden some places up by you that did pack up some things like a regular dhf pretty badly.

I would be more willing to run one of those minion ss tires as a front though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
As long as I'm not in the desert, our dirt is pretty pack free here too until it gets to the mud puddle slime stage. I've just ridden some places up by you that did pack up some things like a regular dhf pretty badly.

I would be more willing to run one of those minion ss tires as a front though.
It happens now and then, but it's definitely exception rather than the rule. Ideally I'm off skiing when riding conditions suck that much anyway.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Given up on the DHR II on the front for most my trails and going back to a DHF. I seriously doubt anything will beat it on the combination of powdery dust and gravel that makes up 90% of south east QLD trails.

Try the Mavic Charge 2.4, pretty damn impressive front tyre... wouldn't run it on the rear though unless you want to buy a new tyre after every 3 rides, too soft a compound for a rear.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
FUCK YEAH 26" VERSION!!!!
I should be super excited about this news but FFS Maxxis! for the 26" version just dust the cobwebs off your old Bling Bling moulds and change that Lopes logo to whoever the hell is currently most #Enduro on instagram.

Don't get me wrong I'm still glad there's another fast rolling anti-dirtpackTM drift n rail tyre alternative on the horizon but that centre tread won't actually work better than Blings for what I'm after. (including anti-dirtpackTM)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Just ordered a set of Wildrockr2s for the nomad and looking forward to checking them out.

The cornering knobs on my Magic Mary are torn 2/3rds thru and the rock razor rear casing is leaking stans from at least a dozen spots on the tread and sidewalls.

Will be nice to have a substantial casing again.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Does anyone know where to get the 650b 2.5 exo DHF's? Cant find em...got a minion ss to try..wouldnt mind pairing it with a wider minion up front

dtm1

Monkey
Apr 11, 2015
thanks! What width rims you running them on??
Just 24.5, nothing overly wide... Have a handful of trail rides on them, so far I'm a fan. Been able to ride it at 23 psi w/o squirm (250lbs). How do you like them?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
shorty.jpg
Anybody cutting center knobs on a shorty? I put one on last night...been raining and I have some loose deep sandy steep stuff Ive been wanting to try it on...paired with a minion ss in the rear it should be fun but I do allot of pavement climbing...saw this hillbilly but not sure how the knob height compares between the two...also the hillbilly just has a second set of knobs closer together instead of one wider one...

hillbilly.jpg

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
View attachment 121400 Anybody cutting center knobs on a shorty? I put one on last night...been raining and I have some loose deep sandy steep stuff Ive been wanting to try it on...paired with a minion ss in the rear it should be fun but I do allot of pavement climbing...saw this hillbilly but not sure how the knob height compares between the two...also the hillbilly just has a second set of knobs closer together instead of one wider one...

View attachment 121399
I haven't tried that on a Shorty, but a similar cut worked well for me on a Vigilante. Although, instead of ramping the center knobs, I just cut the height down. The one thing I'd watch out for would be cutting the knobs low enough where you started engaging the side knobs on flat ground.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
View attachment 121400 Anybody cutting center knobs on a shorty? I put one on last night...been raining and I have some loose deep sandy steep stuff Ive been wanting to try it on...paired with a minion ss in the rear it should be fun but I do allot of pavement climbing...saw this hillbilly but not sure how the knob height compares between the two...also the hillbilly just has a second set of knobs closer together instead of one wider one...

View attachment 121399
Say friend,

That looks pretty swell!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maxxis Aggressor tested over at Vital. It even features a shout to the one and only Woo...
Heh. Kinda funny considering that review I did wasn't on vital.

That tire looks pretty good. I imagine it would pack up something awful in certain kinds of dirt. I kinda wish the sideknobs were a little more stout. Pretty decent layout overall though.