Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Aug 23, 2011
So what is the story on EXO sidewalls, need some tires for the new bike. I want light but not if I have to suffer from constant flats. Wont be riding anything super rocky right now.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
So what is the story on EXO sidewalls, need some tires for the new bike. I want light but not if I have to suffer from constant flats. Wont be riding anything super rocky right now.
no idea w/ exos...but what about the FR schwalbes?

the FR casing is single ply with snakebite sidewall...really tough and durable. more like 1.5ply. i use FR casings pretty much only out here, as we dont have lots of rocks, and im a paultry 160lb..never had a single issue.

weighed 3 of my FR casings wire bead schwalbes...all between 900-930g.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Overpriced... I'd go with Conti Trail Kings or Specialized Butchers. Both are better tires IMO.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
[original post deleted by WParsons]
You think they'd have no problem paying you considering $93/tire retail pricing...

Sorry to hear that, get a good lawyer and **** them as hard as you can. Good Luck! I am going through a similar issue right now... I know it sucks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
meh, I don't really care. Probably just boiled down to bad communication more than anything.
Don't you think that a bold public statement like that is deserving of a more black-and-white situation than one that was "probably [just] bad communication"?

I mean, if it's true, then that's pretty serious. If it's not true, though, you really shouldn't be posting stuff like that. It's like posting, "the CEO abuses animals" and then clarifying, "well, he actually only yelled at his dog when he got into the trash." Your second statement is vastly different from the first one.

I thoroughly believe that public forums like this one are a great place to see the truth about companies, with no filter. However, by the same token, I don't like to see stories get told that put a company in a bad light when it's exaggerated or not strictly true.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm guessing but did you go there as a consultant without a clear agreement written on who does what? Or do you have something on paper outside of your designs?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Anybody have any real time on the geax neurons? A friend has them on his bike but we set up out bikes so differently I had a hard time getting a feel for them on the one run I made.

I run the normal dhf 3c front and rear
Bit of a dig, but I've been running a Neuron up front for a couple months now and agree with weedkilla's experience. Not too bad in soft, tacky conditions (what tire isn't?), but downright dangerous in dry, loose conditions. I too noticed the rubber compound felt about like a Maxxis 60a (or maybe even harder), so they do roll well and probably last forever. There also seems to be a pretty steep transition between the center knobs and side knobs, as the tire has a pretty rounded shape (as compared to a more "square" shaped tire). Thankfully, it was pretty inexpensive, but I will be switching back to a DHF or perhaps I will try a Butcher.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Hadn't seen this before today. Well actually I had, but not with the name Bontrager on the sidewall...

From Mike Levy's Pinkbike review of the Session 9.9:

The Session 9.9 comes stock with a few different Bontrager components, including its 2.35" wide G4 tires that bear a striking resemblance to the popular Minion. This isn't a coincidence, the Minions are a proven performer, but the G4 tires do have some subtle differences to the knob shape that actually make us prefer it over the Maxxis rubber. The tire has a much more predictable feel than what we've come to expect from the Minion, in our opinion allowing them to not only hold an edge longer, but also break traction in a less eventful manner that feels more controlled. Some riders will take issue with their 2.35" width, preferring to run a wider option for their trails, but we were happy with how they performed. Braking traction, as you'd expect from looking at the design, isn't as good as found with some other tires.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
why did they put the L knob on the wrong way? to make them look a little different? i suppose you would just clip the offending knobs.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
why did they put the L knob on the wrong way? to make them look a little different? i suppose you would just clip the offending knobs.
To make it look like a minion without bothering to ask why the minion works the way it does.

I saw it as the centerknobs being backwards :D

I know people that do cut off the L block on minions and seem to like it. I don't, but if you're one of those and don't mind cutting, this would be a good tire to look at I guess.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
It looks like there is more of a open channel between the middle knobs and shoulder knobs, like a cut minion. Minus the L-shaped knobs, it already looks like a cut minion.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Gwin will be racing on G4s next year according to this: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/trek-world-racing-on-bontrager-tires-in-2012-32836

"Trek World Racing’s gravity team announced, yesterday, that they will ride Bontrager tires in 2012. The switch from 2011 sponsor, Maxxis, serves to put the whole of the TWR team on Bontrager tires; the cross-country team have ridden Bontrager tires since their inception.

The team will ride the all-new Bontrager G-Mud and G4, which is a tire already earning rave reviews from the gravity world. “I’m stoked on the new tires,” said Trek World Racing’s Aaron Gwin. “I’ve gotten to ride them a fair bit now and they feel like everything I need to win races. Tires are a key part to my race bikes and I think we nailed it with the new line.”

Bontrager recently hired tire designer Frank Stacey, who will work closely with the team to further develop the Bontrager tire line. "Our current G4 downhill tire has been at retailers for a few months now and is getting amazing reviews,” said Stacey. “The TWR team feels the G4 will be a big advantage for cornering and braking traction. We've also tested the rolling resistance versus competitors and it rolls so much faster. This allows the riders to carry their momentum easier during race runs, which is crucial at the top level of World Cup racing."

Stacy has a website, and he has worked for Kenda and Specialized as a consultant (http://stacytireandtesting.webs.com/curriculumvitae.htm)

Here's the mud tire FYI: 1325699874985-1bqmso6aiirhs-670-75.jpg

[/tire dork]

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Looks like a handcut G4? Guessing it's a rear. Nice find!

EDIT: Actually, that might be a different tire altogether... Looks like I see mold flashing, so maybe not handcut. And no sidewall lettering, so prototype.

Last edited:

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Is there any tricks on cutting High Rollers? I don't need it, but if there is any known possibilities I would like to try it just for the heck of it on my halfworn set.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
I don't want lower rolling resistance. I just wanted to know if someone had heard about cutting them to get better grip in mud and really loose conditions. Or better grip in general.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Also, I think I want to try a Specialized tyre for a change. I don't know if I should get Clutch or Butcher though. It will be used for stuff like wet roots, rocks, mud but also dry days with loose tracks and park riding. I think I'll just get one for a front and stuff it on the rear if it doesn't impress me. Any input on which I should get?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I don't want lower rolling resistance. I just wanted to know if someone had heard about cutting them to get better grip in mud and really loose conditions. Or better grip in general.
Not sure what you would do with a HR to accomplish that.

Also, I think I want to try a Specialized tyre for a change. I don't know if I should get Clutch or Butcher though. It will be used for stuff like wet roots, rocks, mud but also dry days with loose tracks and park riding. I think I'll just get one for a front and stuff it on the rear if it doesn't impress me. Any input on which I should get?
The butcher is money for dry cali conditions. Can't comment on the wet stuff.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
for looser conditions i've seen them cut with a deep sipe on the row of the two separate center knobs, basically creating 4 knobs which is basically how the HRII is now.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Couple questions.

The conti barons come in 2.3 and 2.5. In my mind, a slightly skinnier tire works a bit better in loamy and wet conditions, and I've seen good riders using 2.3 hillbillys with success in those conditions. Is the conti 2.3 capable of DH riding? It's difficult to tell from the website and reviews. The 2.3 comes in around $20 and the 2.5 at like $60. The 2.3 is 220g lighter, but I'm not concerned with weight vs pinch flat resistance.

Also, does anybody have experience with the wtb dissent tires? Hucknroll has 2.5s in the comp variety for $20. Looks like reviews of earlier versions say great traction before it gets wet. Later versions, like the comp in question, have a wider channel in between center and side knobs, which should help in the wet and loose. The compound is also 50a, which should be a decent combo between traction and wear.

It looks like I could buy 4 tires for the price of one dhf 3c 2.5 and have one pair for dry and one wet, but I don't know if any of these are any good.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
those 2.3 barons are ~900g trail bike tires... not 2 ply dh tires.... so if you can run a specialized SX or maxis EXO sidewall tire on the DH bike, they should work, but not if you need 2-ply for sure, don't go that way.

the baron tread is rad though... really nice tire.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Damn...for the price of a real der Baron, I can get a Maxxis, or at least it's not dramatically different. If I'm shelling out the big bucks, little reason not to go with what I know will perform.

Looks like the WTBs are single ply/not pinch-flat reinforced. I did find some cheap excavators though.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Couple questions.

The conti barons come in 2.3 and 2.5. In my mind, a slightly skinnier tire works a bit better in loamy and wet conditions, and I've seen good riders using 2.3 hillbillys with success in those conditions. Is the conti 2.3 capable of DH riding? It's difficult to tell from the website and reviews. The 2.3 comes in around $20 and the 2.5 at like $60. The 2.3 is 220g lighter, but I'm not concerned with weight vs pinch flat resistance.

Also, does anybody have experience with the wtb dissent tires? Hucknroll has 2.5s in the comp variety for $20. Looks like reviews of earlier versions say great traction before it gets wet. Later versions, like the comp in question, have a wider channel in between center and side knobs, which should help in the wet and loose. The compound is also 50a, which should be a decent combo between traction and wear.

It looks like I could buy 4 tires for the price of one dhf 3c 2.5 and have one pair for dry and one wet, but I don't know if any of these are any good.
I have a WTB Dissent DH in a 2.5 that will be my new rear tire for Spring. It's been sitting in my closet for 2 years and I just don't want to drop the cash for another DHF.
Don't know how it performs but it looks pretty mean. It's got huge rubber whiskers coming off all the knobs (like an inch long). Does that make any sense? I don't know how else to describe it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It looks like, after reading through the catalog, that the COMP represents Dual ply but no reinforcement for pinch flats. It looks like all of the compounds are 50a. I'm waiting on a response from WTB before I buy...but if they have some sort of insert, I'm in. They look like copies of minions, so they might work.