Quantcast

Completely off topic, but check out our Red Bull Soap Box Team

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Well guys, I know that it has been a while since I have posted here but I know some of you may know that my friends and I have started a team and we are building a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder in order to compete in the Red Bull Soap Box Race on October 25th. I thought I would document the build a bit for anyone who is interested. We are going WAY above and beyond mainly because, that is what we do. This car has definitely consumed pretty much ever waking hour that I am not at work or school.

Our team consists of
Josh McGuckin (me)
Jeremiah Hueske
Matt Fisher
James Olson
Sandra Hueske

Part 1
We sat down and brainstormed, the ideas for vehicles really were pretty diverse, but we eventually decided on the 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder from Ferris Buellers day off. This lead to the name "Team Save Ferris"
Some sketching and some thinking led to our Entry form, as well as some photos to make sure that our measurements were going to be recorded

Part 2
Though there were a couple weeks in the middle, we did get selected to participate and we started the build on what we will call week 2. A bit of AutoCad and access to some fun toys led to a nice new steering brace for the front of our vehicle. The Waterjet was used to cut out not only the Steering brace, but also every piece for our chassis.

Part 3
Chassis construction begins. This could be an easy process, but we are building everything from sheet stock, to be difficult. Anyhow, the pieces are all cut on the waterjet and tacking, shaping and creating begins. Everything is welded together. We do not have a frame jig made for this so it is simply a process of lining everything up. Measureing twice welding once and going through the steps about 1000 times. In the end the all drive wheels are in square by 1/16th inch. so we are pretty happy about that.

Part 4
We began the week with chassis completion. This basically consisted of finishing the frame rails and then welding in the cross members. This process was a bit tough to be precise with but once we got the structure done it was all clean up duty on the welds. Smooth and purdy now

Part 5
At this point we have the majority of the chassis done, it is technically not rolling cause, we don’t have wheels. DETAILS! Anyhow, the next step is the Body. We originally intended to make a mold an pull a vac formed plastic body down, but nobody is willing to do it for us since it is a “small job.” So we are moving on to Fiberglass. We have been making a mold by modeling the body in Rhino (3d program) then sectioning it into 12 ribs. Each rib we projected on a piece of OSB and traced then cut out.

Part 6
Well, the body form is done at this point and the skinning has begun. We have skinned the body with cardboard foam, bondo and spackle. Yeah spackle was cheap and easy to work for this process so it got used. This is definitely among the most time consuming parts of the process, we have essentially carved the nose and tail, and shaped the entire rest of the vehicle by hand. The process has been really interesting but I am tired of being covered in bondo, pink foam, sawdust and plaster.

Media Day

Well, Red Bull contacted us a little while ago about doing a feature on our team. They wanted to put us head to head with another team and we just happen to be friends with a team called the "Bonnieville Record Holders." Team Bonnieville showed up with their 34 ford roadster. We expected them to be faster than us. They had to be, they have legit soap box wheels AND there were no turns on the hill we were going to race them on. Not only that, but we sorta told them about Whistler Bearing Co and they just got some fresh new bearings for their wheels.

They showed up and we showed them our craft the body mold and all the blood sweat and tears on the ground surrounding both. We then got to check out their car. A ribtech seat sat proudly in the middle of a nicely crafted aluminum body. Those wheels were there, they looked a little funny but the embossed "Official Soap Box Wheel" on the side made them menacing. I offered up my Rib Vest for the real event, because I know that seat is gonna suck...

Since we posted last we added a 5 point harness to our car. Not exactly for safety, though I guess you could consider that the reason. We want to be able to pull g's and NOT fall out. This thing nearly tossed every member of the team when we were pushing it hard, so we decided a bit of security is going to go a long way.

The harness requires someone to buckle you in, but with a quick twist of the knob, you can get out pretty easily.
Neither team could wait to race so we ended up getting a few runs in before the film crew showed. We were pretty much committed mentally to second place here, but expected our superior handling to give us the edge in the real race.

We took several runs, the crew showed up and shot a few of them. It was a blast and we won all the races. Every single one. each by at least a nose but up to a car length. The boost to our moral was awesome! On the Bonnieville record holders final run they blew up a wheel. Our driver said they just finished up the run and he was trying to stop, our guy was literally driving a circle around him as his wheel blew up with plastic shrapnel flying about.

The runs didn't stop...for us. We couldn't get enough, hell we let one of the camera guys run our car. From there we moved on to video footage for the event. They lined us up, gave us things to talk about, shot our car, shot it behind a truck, Everything you could think of was done. We were there for 4 hours with the crew and they were psyched to see our progress.

The whole thing attracted a bit of a crowd actually, Not to many people but we had a few spectators. You have to consider that we were in the industrial district on the west side of 25. the place has NO traffic normally, but eventually 2 other photographers showed up, a few spectators showed up and we have no idea where they came from.

I only had my little camera with my, so this is a super high ISO shot, but we did some of our video in front of the denver skyline.

The night was a good night, the body mold is ready (well except a small divot that some jackass at the shop put in it) so we will be laying fiberglass on Friday and Saturday. If needed we will lay the final layer on Sunday. From there we will be sanding...and sanding....more? yup, more sanding.

The response to our vehicle was great, both the other team and the Red Bull people were very psyched and impressed about it. We couldn't be happier, they were the first to see it in real life besides our own team members.

Friday I will start posting some fiberglass layup pix. Hopefully I don't end up getting resin in my camera like when I worked with Carbon last time.

Look for us on Facebook as Team Save Ferris
Keep an eye on our Youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B46A534C7FC38752
For more pictures keep an eye on our Flickr site at http://flickr.com/photos/joshmcguckin/sets/72157605975075439/

Last edited:

Lux Interior

Monkey
Jun 18, 2005
That is a serious toy! So choice. nice craftsmanship, interesting photos, sweet shop. CHEEE BOW BOW.......CHICKA CHICKA!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Jeebus Josh, can't you pull some strings here on RM and get this thread moved to a more appropriate forum... like ALL OF THEM?

Stoked on your progress with this thing, hopefully I'll be around one of these weekends to come and check it out!

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Fiberglass, Layer one

Well, the day has finally come and we started laying fiberglass last night. It was a fast process actually, all 4 of us were pretty much running around for the entire hour saturating, mixing, transporting, laying up and maneuvering pieces.
We started off by prepping the fiberglass and tearing it down into manageable chunks. We will be laying 1 layer of non woven chopped strand, then one layer of woven mesh, then a final layer of non woven chopped strand for the final layer.

Three of us were at the shop working on this while one was on his way. One thing that we all realized was that we had all forgotten long sleeves! So we made a phone call. A few minutes later our final member showed up, fresh from Goodwill with some gnarly shirts for us.

So the process began, we started finding our home basically, each one of us adopted a roll. I was mixing resin and spreading it. Jeremiah was saturating the pieces of fiberglass and taking them over to the car. He was also coordinating the sizes of chop that we needed. Matt and James were each working their way around the opposite sides of the car, laying up fiberglass as they go.

Overall the process seemed pretty quick and painless, VERY smelly, but quick and painless otherwise. Today, Saturday, the car is getting 2 more layers, one this morning and one in the evening. Then it should be ready for sanding.

Last night we also downloaded an app for Matt's iPhone that registers g-force. We strapped the phone to our chassis and took a run. We pulled 1.41 g's! Not to shabby...not to shabby at all.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
cool...although a belly tank salt flat racer might have been easier

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
cool...although a belly tank salt flat racer might have been easier

That definitely would have been easier...

We always knew the body would be the most work, that was clear from the get go, we thought that spending a lot of time on the mold would help and it probably did, but man, it is time to get messy, itchy and cranky.

We don't really have the cash to do this right. Right of course being to make a female mold then lay up our body inside that. So we have a mold that we layed up our fiberglass on and now we are sanding, bondoing and basically making a mess.

I think in the future I have learned that spending the extra couple hundred dollars to make the female mold is definitely worth it.

For the most part what we have done so far is a light sand and removed the body from the mold. The body is probably 30 lbs, the chassis is about 80 lbs. We are expecting a lot of bondo to bring us up to the total weight of about 130 plus the extras to maybe 150 then we have a tungsten brick to put in the front of the Car to get it to the desired 176lbs

The body was reluctant to come out of the mold so we had to remove the mold from the body. It was what we expected so we build the mold ready for this process.

of course there are going to be a few bumps and bruises along the way. This is, surprisingly, the first blood of the build

Fiberglass sucks

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
So last night we had a little body work clinic from one of our members dad.

Jeremiahs dad has a paint booth at his house, he does body work for friends and friends of friends as a hobby and has been painting cars for about 30 years. He swung by to show us the tricks of the trade and get us started on our way to finishing this thing up.

He started us off with some Evercoat products. I can't remember the name right now, which I am going to attribute to the resins and bondo's that I have been inhaling over the last few days, but the stuff was buttery smooth and easy to apply. Unfortunately we need about 4 times what we thought we would so we will be working hard over the next couple evenings to get things patched up.

We spent some time figuring out how to mount the body too. That has been a question that we have wondered about for a while, but we finally sorted out the plan. We mounted 4 posts into the frame. they will be flush in the end with a pin holding them in. When the body is off there will be 4 mounting holes and they will be completely flush, but when the body is on the posts will stick directly into the mounting holes and it will be a nice clean, trick solution.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Wow! I hope you guys get at least a free case of Red Bull for all that hard work!

Looks awesome!

So, uh....when can we expect MotionBoy to come back to the mtb world and post some sweet pics, like back in the day? ;-)

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Wow! I hope you guys get at least a free case of Red Bull for all that hard work!

Looks awesome!

So, uh....when can we expect MotionBoy to come back to the mtb world and post some sweet pics, like back in the day? ;-)
Well, I guess that is going to be on hold till I get out of school and have a bit of free time again. I have been working full time, going to school 2 days a week and now I have this build going on too! I shoot one real gig a year anymore...

...pikes peak international hill climb. It is one of my favorite events to go check out and this year I set up a camera on the roof of the above car.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well, I guess that is going to be on hold till I get out of school and have a bit of free time again. I have been working full time, going to school 2 days a week and now I have this build going on too! I shoot one real gig a year anymore...

...pikes peak international hill climb. It is one of my favorite events to go check out and this year I set up a camera on the roof of the above car.
Great work! See, that's what I'm talking about! Keep it up and don't make me ask again :brows:

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I know what tired is. I am exhausted. I got home at 3:45ish last night and I am on my way to work right now for what is going to probably be a rough day.

Anyhow, back to the car.

We have been working hard yesterday and today and now we have a pretty amazing beast. We will start with yesterday.

Primer, paint sand, repeat. Unfortunately we had a bit of a reaction or something from the paint that we used and different paint we used for the first coat. It has a bit of a texture to it, which we will try to fix, but it is a bit annoying to see all your hard work coated in a crappy texture. Anyhow Sandra made seats for the vehicle last night. She found some tan "italian leather" aka vinyl and upholstered wooden slats that we had in the car before.

The rest of us were still doing body work and painting the chassis. The chassis is now flat black

Last night we had a goal to assemble the chassis, install the body then cut out the wheelwells and get all the final cutting done so it could be primered tomorrow.
The goal was to project the car on the side of the...uh...car. We then used the body lines from the real car to make sure we had a good reference for the actual wheel cutouts. We then drew on the wheel cutouts, pulled the body, cut them out of one side and used the piece to match the other side.

So that is what we did.

James went through and cut the wheels out with surgical precision...

then we had our body, and it looks mighty fine...

We now have a car...almost a real car too...

By the way, Matt says: "Wear a respirator kids, it'll save your life!"

Oh yes and since we just happen to have extra materials laying around we laid a Redbull can in the inside of the hood for extra wings

and, well... last night I made a custom, carbon fiber, Red Bull Can holder.... It is incredibly simple, but it is going to be a fun addition to the car. Now we just have to figure out how to mount it.

Keep checking back and definitely visit and comment on www.teamsaveferris.com

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I am sure you are aware that this thing is coming up quick, and there is still a lot to do. Our motivation got a good kick in the pants last night when we got down there and got primer on this thing. Wow. it just looks nice. I mean, I can just barely believe where it has come from since just a week and a half ago when we laid the first fiberglass on the body and started sanding.

After the primer we put a guide coat on. Now I didn't know what this was until last night, but it turns out that a guide coat is just a really light coat of a contrasting color to allow you to see how far you have sanded on the primer.

After that we really didn't have a lot to do at the shop, we needed to fabricate our bumpers however. So we started bending those.

We have 2 sticks of aluminum tubing that were...eh.. donated. So we just needed to bend 2 90's into them and make one for the front dimension and one for the rear dimension. Each will be cut in half so it will just be a half circle then we will press it a little to give it an oval shape. Finally we will polish it... which I am looking forward too :roll:

Team member James has built his own rock crawler using this tubing bender, he knows all the secrets so Matt and I basically spectated as James gave us instruction on what he was doing.

Apparently the best way to bend tubing is the visual method. Have a chunk of tubing that is pre bent and marked at the die. Mark out your dimensions on the floor, use the extra piece of tubing as a template and go. This method litterally made us 4 bends that were exactly correct. I couldn't believe that we didn't mess up any of them!

We called it an early night and I was in bed at 11, can you say 8 hours of sleep!? Wow, I am feeling much better now.

Tonight, sanding on the primer, tomorrow, color.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Red Bull saw the pictures today and said "look, I am going to be honest with you, I had my doubts, but good lord, that thing is awesome!!"

i can't wait to get the red on there, it is going to be so great to see this thing all done!

Oh and a video from the other night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DiH5D04flmQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DiH5D04flmQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Well, we are basically done, the car is just getting a few final touches tonight and then we will be on 9 news at some ungodly hour in the morning. Check it out!

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Yeah we dragged our asses to 9news at 5:30 this morning for the morning show, we were on close to 6:30 or so. It was a good interview and Susie asked us, "So where did you get the body?" I told her, we made it, and she looked at it and couldn't believe it!

The race is going to be amazing tomorrow, it is HUGE, TV, Video, Photo, Sound JumboTrons and 20,000 pluss people. I can't wait! Need to get sleep, but I can't wait!

Come out, come early and if you can't come text a vote for us!

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Damn, what a weekend! We headed up on Friday to check in. Our vehicle was in tow and we thought to ourselves, how about one big test run? So off to Lookout mountain we went

We had a good run, got our steering all set properly and we were on our way. When we got to Red Rocks on Friday there was a reporter from my school there waiting for us. She must be doing a big article because she talked to us for several hours. We'll see what is in the paper, when it comes out.

We went to a drivers meeting and basically headed home. We worked on our skit since we really hadn't had any time to play with that because of the car. We then headed home to get a few hours of rest.

Off to the mountain, we pulled the body off and displayed it the opposite of our running direction, the plan was to run the car backwards but display it forwards so people would be surprised. I think it worked. When we wheeled the car to the start line we let matt just drive down the small hill to the start. A girl ran out and tried to stop it. Matt stopped just before her and she looked confused. I walked up to her and the water that she had in her hand was all over her. I pulled up the cover and showed her that a driver was inside and we were on our way.

We headed up the ramp and did our little skit. The crowd was amazing, they were screaming louder than any other car and the run was fast and pretty close to flawless. He got through the chicane and stopped with an awesome skid turn popped out of the cover with a red bull and a twisty straw and answered a few questions... It really couldn't have gone any better.

As for the awards, we won 1st AND peoples choice. According to the red bull people, nobody has ever won both before, so we have our place in red bull history.

Last edited:
I was watching right next to the camera that shows your run in that video, below the chicane. You guys pretty much destroyed everyone in the race part. Not many cars cleaned the chicane and the Ferrari made it look easy.

The other half of the race were the car's that fell apart a little at a time the whole way down. They were pretty exciting to watch as well. If anybody was wondering poorly nailed together 2X4's don't make good axle's. The Greenback Trout car was pretty sweet.

My buddies I was watching with were pretty blown away when I tolled them you guy's built everything from the ground up.
Good work team Save Ferris.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
That golf one was pretty sketchy, the guy had a toilet plunger pressed into the steer tube of a fork for steering, then toilet plunger broke and they crashed as they left the stage. I like that the guy said something like
"the cars range from quality engineered vehicles to 'Hey dude, whaddya wanna do tomorrow'"

Thanks guys, I can't tell you how fun it was to build that thing and see it come together. Just wait, we will have to top ourselves next year...

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Thanks! That was a lot of fun and we will definitely be doing one of these again!

I stopped by the ferrari guy yesterday with the car. He was Psyched with the car and impressed with the build