Quantcast

cooking with smoke

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I finally replaced my old rust bucket (a weber look a like). I used it for about 4 years, so I figured if I got a decent grill I could use it forever.

Her predecessor....

I have so many things I want to smoke, I am having trouble deciding on what to do next. I am gonna pop her cherry with a tenderloin & a chicken. We definitely plan to smoke some salmon soon too.

Anyone have any good recipes?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
mmm... i dont know any recipe but ribs in the smoker are the beeeeeeest. and sweet baby ray's bbq sauce...

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Not sure of the recipe, but my dad smoked some albacore last week and some venison as well. The albacore on top of pasta with good cheese and marinara is amazing!

The Ito

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
ito said:
Not sure of the recipe, but my dad smoked some albacore last week and some venison as well. The albacore on top of pasta with good cheese and marinara is amazing!

The Ito
damn, that sounds good.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
smoking right now....pork tenderloin, rubbed with brown sugar, cumin, cavendars & Boar's Head spicy deli mustard. looks good so far.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
1st attempt----->failure.

my tenderloin was cooked perfectly, juicy on the inside with no pink. At first it tasted very good but as you chewed, the smokie flavor dominated & made your tongue tingle it was so strong. The temp was kept between 325-350 & it cooked for an hour & a half. I cured the smoker last week too. I need more practice, I guess.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I LOVE that grill.

A lot of places around here sell pure Mesquite charcole (natural, not pressed briquettes). The brand name is Lizari I believe. That stuff ROCKS when used with that grill. It burns a little hot, but you can compensate with the vents.

My favorite recipe is:

1 bunch cilantro (diced)
3 shots tequila
4-5 lemons (juiced)
1/2 c Olive oil
2tbs salt
1 tbs Pepper
1 tsp cayanne

Marinade some chicken parts (on the bone!!) in it for a few hours and toss on the grill.

Every 15 minutes, take the pieces off and toss back in the marinade.

Cook 1 hr total on the main grate with a good fire in the side box.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
don't use so much wood or smoke on smaller pieces. I'm not sure how or what you did but I find that using coal and just a few big handfulls of wood chips (soaked in water) will give a better flavor then using giant logs.

also, different wood gives different flavors. some are harsher then others.
350 seems really high to me too.

keep in mind, I've never used a smoker like yours so you might need more smoke. I have a deep pit so the smoke rises strait up to the food.

tonight I'm doing pizza on the grill. made the dough last night. :)

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
pnj said:
don't use so much wood or smoke on smaller pieces. I'm not sure how or what you did but I find that using coal and just a few big handfulls of wood chips (soaked in water) will give a better flavor then using giant logs.

keep in mind, I've never used a smoker like yours so you might need more smoke. I have a deep pit so the smoke rises strait up to the food.

I think I jumped the gun & didnt wait until the fire was completely ready. Pizza sounds good, we will definitely try that.

Last night was a success.
I marinated some pollo in olive oil, some vino, s & p, & some cavendars. It turned out pretty good. We also smoked some portabellas, jalapeno's (to use later), some panlanos (to use later also), some tofu, & a fake sausage.

Tonight I might try ribs. :drool:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
pnj said:

That is some good info. 350 is pretty fast. . . I only use temps that high to jump-start something that is gonna take a while (lots o' ribs, or a large brisket). A lot of folks down here will hit 350 for 1-2 hrs, then wrap the meat in foil and let it go slow (200-250) for a few more hrs. The wrap limits the smoke flavor. I don't like to wrap, but I do use a drip pan or heat-shield to keep the heat indirect.

TN when you say "no pink" I know you mean the meat was "done." But did you get a smoke ring (bright pink ring around the edges)? Just trying to figure out how much smoke got to it.

What kind of wood? Also, are you using wood with bark on it? Some people feel the bark gives more of a bitter flavor, which can be perceived as "too much smoke."

Keep up the good work!

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Well, no pink ring. I used hickory chunks with bark & no charcoal whatsoever.

This weekend I think started honing my skills. For the pollo I started a fire with briquets & after it got white & toasty, I added my wet (they were dry the 1st time) hickory chunks & waited until they quit flaming before I put the pollo, chiles, tofu & fake sausage. I never let the temp get over 250 & let go for about an hour & a quarter. The results were good but not the caliber of smoked goodness I really want.

The next night I tried something I have never been able to cook well....ribs.
I did the fire the exact same way as above.
I used pork loinback ribs. I parboiled the ribs for 15 mins. then rubbed them with Rendezvous dry rub, & put them in the smoker @ 250. my temps varied between 225-250 for about 2 hours, then they were done.
They were some of the best ever. I dare to say as good as some of the ribs I have tried @ the BBQ champs here in May.
We also did some polenta that kicked ass & almost stole my rib's thunder.
Thanks for all of the good info. :thumb:

We want to tackle smoked salmon next.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Pork and apple wood is a nice combo. Oak is a neutral wood and imparts very little flavor. If you use it along with fruit woods or hickory you can softly smoke your food. Ash is good for red meats and fish and can be burned wet (not seasoned or fresh cut). Maple is good with venison and lamb. It really is a preference thing. I don't like pink poultry (hickory) and my brother loves it.....jdcamb

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Yea....I made a GIGANTIC version of those for my uncle that lives in texas. He bought teh pipe, I welded it for him. He loves it.You know how texas like their BBQ. Mesqite (sp?) Trees make for good tastin' stuff

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Brian HCM#1 said:
You definatly DO NOT want to use charcoal when smoking, it will char the food completely black. Fruity woods give off a nice flavor.
hmmmm...I had really good results, but used as much hickory as i did briquettes.
I need to try & find some good fruit wood.

It works like this...you build a fire in the fire box (the small barrel on the left) & the smoke is channeled through the main grill area out of the chimmney. this enables you to cook with indirect heat, over a long time with a low temp.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
My neighbor gave me a smoker last week and I took it for its maiden voyage yesterday. Cooked up two racks of ribs with mesquite chunks for the smoke. They came out quite tasty, but I should have finished them on the grill for a little marinade char.