Quantcast

Cookware thread....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Nick; hey @jdcamb ... hit me with some cookware knowledge. what's the best bang for my buck?

jdcamb: Le Creuset 10 piece Cast Iron Cooks set. Works awesome. You can serve with it. they last forever. Its a cool grand at Williams and Senoma but well worth it for the lifetime warranty. Some good knives, don't skimp on knives. A Kitchen Aid Mixer, even the small one works great. A cheap cast iron pan that you can use both camping and at home. A large Cuisinart Slow Cooker. A decent kitchen scale and a Mortar and Pestle. A few Pyrex pans and measuring devices. Make your own spice rack. You get what you want and its a good project. A decent Waffle Iron and a Electric griddle. Buy and learn how to use a rice cooker. Buy and learn how to use a pressure cooker. Braising is a important skill just like sauteing. Learn how to Saute. Invest in spices and have them on hand. Never buy for recipes, make things with the ingredients you have on hand. Buy and learn to use a smoker. Buy a roasting pan and related rack for the holidays.
Share with your family so they always get you good stuff for your birthday and holidays. Share your knowledge with others. Don't be a dick or a snob about your cooking. Try not to be in charge when you cook at home. You will never learn anything if you do. Be gracious. You will get invited to more parties that way.
Learn about cuts of meat and cut your own steaks, fish fillets, and learn to safely dress a chicken. Learn to carve meats so you can get the most of your roasts and fowl. Buy a Coleman stove and learn how to use it before you go camping or on a picnic. Buy a shitload of Gladware containers.
Napkins, teach your children table manners and always have proper napkins available for your guests. Matching tableware might not be something you care about, but your guests will always appreciate it. If you serve meat to your guests make sure you provide them with a sharp knife. Serve to a platter and never to the plate. Let your guests decide how much they want to eat or what they like. Serve in courses and try not to burn the rolls.... Not everyone likes oysters, trotters, or pork belly. Learn to ignore your guests bratty children, Segregate them the best you can. Serve adult deserts to adults. If the child doesn't eat their meal, no desert should be offered to them. Be rigid, your guests will appreciate it. If you define your budget and needs I can further assist you.
Tfal stuff is good but needs to be maintained properly and can be a bitch to clean...

I just wanted to keep it going....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As far as cookwear goes I prefer to go pantsless with an apron long enough to protect the junk from splattering grease bit low cut enough to expose the nipples.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Made some pulled pork in the slow cooker last night. I must say, this one turned out very well and actually looks like the crap in the recipe. Apple cider vinegar and just selections of meat may have made the difference. Before you serve it you fry it up in it's own fat till it's crispy. Then it's like crack.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Made some pulled pork in the slow cooker last night. I must say, this one turned out very well and actually looks like the crap in the recipe. Apple cider vinegar and just selections of meat may have made the difference. Before you serve it you fry it up in it's own fat till it's crispy. Then it's like crack.

Is pork readily available in Alaska?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is pork readily available in Alaska?
Even though you can get reindeer at most places, bacon is bacon, it's universal, like our right to shitty health care and to have businesses dictate government.

Interestingly though, this is the one thing I have to go to Safeway (Carrs, Vons and whatever the hell they call it in Nome) for, the cuts at Fred Meyers (Kroger, Frys) are not right for pulled pork, even thought hey have boatloads of pork. Occasionally I can't find something like fresh dill and have to go to the next supermarket, but it's rare. Produce is ok, could be better, but better than most places 10 years ago just due to better supply and organization.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Always salt your food when it is hot, Never salt cooled anything. Cooled corn should only ever be seasoned when it is warm. Grits should only be seasoned while it is still creamy or it will set firm. If you fry spam in corn oil it will burn off the aspic whereas butter will make the aspic congeal to the consistency of dogfood. The gelatanous stuff in dogfood is aspic.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Even though you can get reindeer at most places, bacon is bacon, it's universal, like our right to shitty health care and to have businesses dictate government.

Interestingly though, this is the one thing I have to go to Safeway (Carrs, Vons and whatever the hell they call it in Nome) for, the cuts at Fred Meyers (Kroger, Frys) are not right for pulled pork, even thought hey have boatloads of pork. Occasionally I can't find something like fresh dill and have to go to the next supermarket, but it's rare. Produce is ok, could be better, but better than most places 10 years ago just due to better supply and organization.
Can you get Loins and Shoulder cuts?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Can you get Loins and Shoulder cuts?
Of course. I think loins are what I used. The bone-in shoulder hasn't worked out great for me in the past, just kind of so-so, some of the meat remaining very tough and not all of the fat doing it's job.

There is a pot on the stove. It is made of metal. Within, some lamb, onions, pepper, bay, curry, thyme, and vegetable broth.

The pot has a lid. Both the pot and the lid are chrome colored. I think the bottom somehow has copper sandwiched in it. My major bitch about it and its kin are that it has sharp edges.

Oh, yeah, I used scissors, and a paring knife, and a green plastic spoon.

The pot is on a gas stove and the contents are just at a simmer. In two hours or so, carrots and potatoes will be added, and maybe a parsnip or two.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'll play, but serious style.

I own a few select pieces of stainless steel All-Clad. A frying pan, a few saucepans, a saute pan. All have been purchased at varying discounts and have been serving me admirably for the past 5+ years. One Lodge cast iron pan for when I need to turn the heat up to 11. Misono carbon steel 10" chef's knife and 3" paring knife. Rosle stainless tongs, a few wooden spoons, a spatula, can opener, a turner, and a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer.

I'd love a dutch oven to make braised short ribs and stews, but haven't decided whether to splurge on a Le Creuset or if a Lodge enameled will suffice. That's it really, I do have a bit of a knife obsession but I try not to buy any more as time has shown that I don't need them, just want them.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I have a knife weakness.
Full set of Wusthof Grand Prix 2's here.
I like getting them professionally sharpened twice a year as well, they never come out as sharp when I try to do it at home...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a knife weakness.
Full set of Wusthof Grand Prix 2's here.
I like getting them professionally sharpened twice a year as well, they never come out as sharp when I try to do it at home...
I got my parents a high end sharpener and I regret it. Hundreds of dollars. Makes the knives so damn sharp I'm afraid for them. I honestly think there's such a thing as too sharp after seeing what it does. Don't ever drop a knife or slip.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I got my parents a high end sharpener and I regret it. Hundreds of dollars. Makes the knives so damn sharp I'm afraid for them. I honestly think there's such a thing as too sharp after seeing what it does. Don't ever drop a knife or slip.
Which one? I can't do that for my Misonos as they are asymmetrically ground, but I still have some Henckels that the wife uses that I don't care about throwing through a machine.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Which one? I can't do that for my Misonos as they are asymmetrically ground, but I still have some Henckels that the wife uses that I don't care about throwing through a machine.
Don't remember and it's at my parents house. It's got some serious power behind it though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've a stone I picked up at work for flattening machine surfaces. It does a proper job on a knife made of good steel with a steady hand. For a 'steel' and strop, a long screwdriver and old belt coated in lapping compound will make for a dangerous edge.

Grind an edge
Draw a bur
straighten and polish bur

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
How I cook eggs.
I don't care if you dislike Gordon Ramsey.... Mofo can cook....
I LOVE Gordon Ramsay. That man is superbly talented and has a passion for cooking that I wish I had for my occupation. There's a series uploaded by multiple users on Youtube of him cooking at home that is both informative and oddly relaxing.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I've a stone I picked up at work for flattening machine surfaces. It does a proper job on a knife made of good steel with a steady hand. For a 'steel' and strop, a long screwdriver and old belt coated in lapping compound will make for a dangerous edge.

Grind an edge
Draw a bur
straighten and polish bur
I have come to learn those with good knife skills are never good at teaching others knife skills. I am not very good at sharpening. I would like to learn.