Quantcast

Cop Takes Down Cyclist...on video.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY

From the NYT:
"In a criminal complaint against Mr. Long, the officer, identified in the court documents as Patrick Pogan of the Midtown South precinct, says that the cyclist rode straight into him. But the video, posted on YouTube and on the blog Gothamist.com, shows the officer lunging toward Mr. Long."

Spin to the right.

Spin to the left.

Regardless of your stance on CM, it's still an interesting video.

Last edited:
That was F'KING GREAT!

This cop stopped an aggressive bike rider flaunting his liberal interpretation of the law and made a controlled stop using the minimum amount of force necessary to effect the arrest without endangering any of the other liberals in the area.

He should be commended for his quick thinking in the face of such danger.

The city should have cops employ this technique more often so as to finally put an end to this blatant act of defiance and lawlessness these liberal ****heads perpetrate over and over again. Unfortunately, that one cop has more balls then the entire population of 1PP combined.

N.8? :busted:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I wonder why he singled out this one cyclist.

I've seen that video before and it is still appalling

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
ok, that was a freakin' GREAT site. the stories they came up with to go with that video could be compiled into a book.

"so, like, there had to have been a cop, further up, that saw this cyclist commit some heinous crime, and tried to stop him. then the cyclist kicked that officer in the mouth, so the officer radio'd down to *this* cop to be on the lookout for this terrorist on a bicycle. then, even though you can't see it in the video, the officer politely asks this cyclist to stop, and you also can't see the cyclist pull out a loaded Glock and wave it menacingly at the officer. so, doing what any brave, selfless, level-headed veteran of 3-weeks on the force would do, he took him down with a minimum of violence and threat to himself, the perp, and innocent bystandards. that's what had to have happened, you just don't see it in the video. good job officer!"

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Found this on Wikipedia when searching "Critical Mass"

New York City - July 25, 2008
A rookie NYPD cop was stripped of his badge and gun on Monday after a stunning video captured him slamming a bicyclist to the ground in an apparently unprovoked attack.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Found this on Wikipedia when searching "Critical Mass"

New York City - July 25, 2008
A rookie NYPD cop was stripped of his badge and gun on Monday after a stunning video captured him slamming a bicyclist to the ground in an apparently unprovoked attack.
The way I heard it he was removed from patrol duties and put behind a desk, but that's Wikipedia for you.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
That cop will be seeing an NFL offense line job in his future.
That was one hell of a hit. I laughed my ass off.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My gut reaction was anger at the officer. Upon reading about it though, all signs point to the cyclist acting like a 'tard leading up to this (weaving in and out of traffic, resisting arrest). You run from the law, you may get hurt. Most people know this.

edit: it should be noted that the cyclist was charged with attempted assault and resisting arrest.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ok, that was a freakin' GREAT site. the stories they came up with to go with that video could be compiled into a book.

"so, like, there had to have been a cop, further up, that saw this cyclist commit some heinous crime, and tried to stop him. then the cyclist kicked that officer in the mouth, so the officer radio'd down to *this* cop to be on the lookout for this terrorist on a bicycle. then, even though you can't see it in the video, the officer politely asks this cyclist to stop, and you also can't see the cyclist pull out a loaded Glock and wave it menacingly at the officer. so, doing what any brave, selfless, level-headed veteran of 3-weeks on the force would do, he took him down with a minimum of violence and threat to himself, the perp, and innocent bystandards. that's what had to have happened, you just don't see it in the video. good job officer!"
Holy sh*t, a post from you without a stupid smilie.

Quoted for posterity.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Next time jam ur baton in the spokes or just shoot him. Relax Power Tripper!
The gods told me to relax
They said I'm gonna be fixed up right
I'm never gonna work another day in my life
I'm way too busy powertripping
But I'm gonna shed you some light

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I'm in NYC today and the news is saying that the DA has opened an investigation of the officer for perjury and assault based on the conflict between the video and his sworn affidavit of the event.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Apparently the guy on the bike was also an asshat.

Mr. Long said he was driving in a 55 mile-per-hour zone and saw a line of green lights ahead of him. There were cars in front of and behind him, Mr. Long said, and he struck a man in the street.

But the accident apparently did not stop Mr. Long from driving recklessly. He testified that shortly after the accident, he was stopped for driving 96 m.p.h. in a 65 m.p.h. zone.

Mr. London also got Mr. Long to admit that he was arrested in December after he got stoned and drunk on Scotch and kicked the side-view mirror from a 2000 Honda with a woman sitting in it.

Mr. Long showed up in court wearing a baby-blue shirt and thick red suspenders that held the waistline of his gray slacks at about belly-button level. Mr. Long delivered a mix of punchy one-liners (“It’s not very convenient,” he said, referring to his marriage) and drawn-out, faux intellectual rejoinders. (“He managed to halt my inertia and change my vector,” he said, referring to his collision with Mr. Pogan.)

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I'm all for cyclist rights and against hate crimes. On the other hand, I don't like what Critical Mass has become and the guy on the bike was an asshat.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
At least it's comforting that the asshat cyclist had to go to jail for something he didn't do and get douched on. Karma.

And a guy who may have curb stomped a hooker got booted from the police force.

Win. Win.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
At least it's comforting that the asshat cyclist had to go to jail for something he didn't do and get douched on. Karma.

And a guy who may have curb stomped a hooker got booted from the police force.

Win. Win.
So your'e saying the asshat cyclist was also a hooker? Where did you find this out? I didn't read it in any of the previous links.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Or not. Cop is convicted of filing a false criminal complaint, and could have faced up to 4 years in jail. His sentence?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

No jail time. No probation. No community service. The worst thing that happens to him is that he has a criminal record and can't be a police officer anymore. Boo hoo.

:mad:
Wait, this isn't Johannes Mesherle.

The guy knocked down a biker, and lost the job which he spent 2 years training for and could have retired in 15.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Wait, this isn't Johannes Mesherle.

The guy knocked down a biker, and lost the job which he spent 2 years training for and could have retired in 15.
Knocked down a biker, then proceeded to lie about what happened, and filed criminal charges against the cyclist for "assaulting him." Getting kicked off the force should've been a given, but don't you think that someone convicted of filing false charges (a felony) should be given something other than a stern talking to? I can guarantee that if you'd been convicted of that you'd face some consequence (at the very minimum probation).