Quantcast

Costa Rica - Mountain Biking?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Anyone know if there is decent mountain biking in Costa Rica?

I'll be going there in a week and I'm trying to decide if its worthwhile to taking my bike.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think there is - I think I read some article in Bike Magazine a few years ago about it.

Not sure though.

What is taking you to Costa Rica btw?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
A good friend of mine started a company in Costa Rica offering guided tours called Extreme Adventures Unlimited about 6 years ago. Well it really didn't take of and she started doing nature hikes with the occasional Mountain Bike trips. She also became involved in a program where coffee growers get paid better for there organic beans. Both business' took off and she went to the Domincan Republic to setup a business there. 2 years ago she was killed by bandits in the Domincan Republic. I know they still operate her the touring company but under another name. I searched the internet for it and couldn't come up with anything. The dude that runs the business now is her step brother Sam Dibiase. I have no way of getting a hold of him. I know they rent bikes so I am sure if you went there are probably not be many operators there. I however wouldn't take your bike. My buddy went down there and his bike was stolen enroute to Costa Rica. He said they snagged it in Mexico City when he was changing flights.....jdcamb

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sounds like it would be a great place to ride, real adventure riding i imagine, bring a compass just don't ride past the equator you'll get all screwed up. :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I have a direct flight to CR, so I don't know if I'll have a problem with theft, but it is a concern. I'll only be there for a week and I suppose I'll have other things to do besides biking (plus I think its still the rainy season there so I could only get rides in during the morning?). Its pretty expensive to bring your bike along, but I'm not sure. I brought my bike with me to NZ on a 45 day trip there and MTB in 12 different cities in that country.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
syadasti said:
I have a direct flight to CR, so I don't know if I'll have a problem with theft, but it is a concern. I'll only be there for a week and I suppose I'll have other things to do besides biking (plus I think its still the rainy season there so I could only get rides in during the morning?). Its pretty expensive to bring your bike along, but I'm not sure. I brought my bike with me to NZ on a 45 day trip there and MTB in 12 different cities in that country.
yeah, don't bring your bike, too much of a hassle. go climb cerro chirripo. it's a trip, if you summit on a clear day, you can see the pacific ocean on one side of you and the atlantic on the other!

funny, one year i took my vaca. in costa rica and the next i went to NZ :) beeeutiful!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Megan Black said:
funny, one year i took my vaca. in costa rica and the next i went to NZ :) beeeutiful!
What do you know, you are two days older than me too (I'm 6-25-79) :D

Why don't you come along, its worth a second visit right;)

I really liked NZ, wouldn't mind living there :thumb:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Skookum said:
i was holding out hope that most people would be ignorant of the fact that the equator doesn't run thru it...... sue me. :p

No, I was just thinking how screwed up they'd be if they DID ride past the equator.