Quantcast

cracked cassette 40miles

myz250f

Chimp
Feb 25, 2015
i recently purchased a shimano xt m771 11-36 rear cassette from chain reaction cycles.
I have just under 40 miles on the bike.

I was cleaning the chain and cassette today, prepping it for a trip to the Adirondacks this coming week.

their are 2 cracks in the 11tooth gear.
in return it also has nicked up my drive body.

I have contacted chain reaction cycles
has anyone had this issue? I torqued it to spec with a new torque wrench.
this really bums me out. it latterly only has a handful of rides on it and with this trip coming up I don't know what to do.

I cant find just the 11tooth gear. thought that I may be able to replace that before the trip.

could I ride the bike and just stay out of the 11 gear??

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'd think it would be okay as long as you don't put it onto that cog. No one on pink bike as an old one?

Put up some pictures. You probably just got a dud.

myz250f

Chimp
Feb 25, 2015
free hub is on a sunringle charger pro sl 27.5.
I am no pro rider by any means.
actually just got back into the sport.
and I am no power house so it kinda blows my mind how a 155lb rider can do this damage In under 40miles on a decent component

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I would just go to all of the local bike shops and ask about their garbage pile, there must be a random one floating in there.

It almost looks like is mushroomed out a little. You sure the part where it's cracked wasn't forced onto anything? Though, I would guess that if every is seated correctly and the enter cassette is compressed, you might be able to get away with a few more rides as long as you don't use that cog.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That gouging of the freehub is pretty standard unfortunately. Aluminium is kinda too soft for freehub bodies but a ton of companies use it anyway because it's light.

Re the cassette, I bet you just got a dud with a bad heat treat. If you can find any random first cog to throw on there it'll be fine. See if your LBS has anything kicking around. CRC should take care of you long run, I've had good experiences with their CS.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah, the freehub doesnt look like anything bad really. did you torque it to in/lbs or ft/lbs? :monkey:
i cant remember ever torquing a cassette with a torque wrench in all my years

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
40 miles on the bike or the cassette? What did the free hub body look like before you installed it?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
How old is the chain? I used to see broken cogs, just teeth mind you, back in the days of free wheels when riders would change individual cogs to suit certain races. A worn chain only contacted a few teeth on a new cog and all the force is concentrated on a few teeth. An 11 tooth with a new chain only sees what four or five teeth engaged? Maybe six. On a stretched chain if most of the force is on only one or two teeth, it could break. If it's a new chain though I can't imagine why it broke. Use your old one for now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I did this a few months ago BTW, first time ever for me.
image.jpg