Quantcast

Cramming as much protein into a meal with as few calories as possible.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I need to jam 35g of animal protein and 15g of fat into a bunch of 500 calorie meals that are cheap as balls to make.

halp? I think costco chicken breast and tuna are my money tickets.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Tuna is the route i would go. But i dont think youll hit your fat goal. As 1 can has 150 Cal, 33g Protein, 1.5g Fat You could add an egg and a tablespoon of extra light olive oil in there to help that out.

After tuna maybe salmon or the costco kirkland signature packs of turkey. Should be around $7 for ~3 lbs of turkey.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Gotcha, that's kinda what I figured.

If you wanna go high protein and dirt cheap, eat a lot of legumes. Beans, chick peas, lentils, etc. High in protein (generally on par with meats) but they lack certain amino acids - which you can compensate by eating grains like rice and wheat (bread, etc).

Also SUPER cheap. A pound of beans generally costs 1/3 or less what a pound of chicken does.

Won't help you fill the fat requirement, but just slather them with butter.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Seitan is your ticket as well. 25 grams of protein and around 100 calories per serving.

Same with what Jon said. That is where I get most of my protein as I am a vegetarian. It works quite well.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
craigslist...casual encounters....set up your own gloryhole ad.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Tuna is the route i would go. But i dont think youll hit your fat goal. As 1 can has 150 Cal, 33g Protein, 1.5g Fat You could add an egg and a tablespoon of extra light olive oil in there to help that out.

this is what i would do also, you could make it into a caesar salad, with a boiled chopped egg. add a few lettuce leaves, tomatoes and olives to make it a bit more palatable, you will hit 500cals easily!

you can substitute tuna for chicken and swap the dressing around, or just dress it witlh olive oil. i often do this for meals although i aim for a higher calorie count.

or just eat loads of peanut butter with a spoon ;)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My "coach", for lack of a better word, has advised me to avoid getting significant amounts of protein from non-animal sources. I'm guessing a large portion of this is because the cal/protein ratio in most veggie sources is quite low (aside from seitan, which is pretty expensive). Low enough to not be able to make a meal with them. The lack of a complete protein without other sources of aminos is also problematic and ties into the calorie problem. If I had a large budget, it'd be easier, but it gets to the point where the cost and benefit is much lower than just lean meat.

I think I'm stuck with tuna and chicken breast. To Costco!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Not to be a dick, but I don't want any hippie-ish raw or vegan suggestions. Was more hoping for some meal outlines and ideas. I will be utilizing whey protein for at least one "serving" of protein a day.

I used to be vegan. I'm aware of the options. As I've said, they're too expensive, too high in calories, or both.

Zagreus

Chimp
Jan 3, 2010
S. California
My "coach", for lack of a better word, has advised me to avoid getting significant amounts of protein from non-animal sources. I'm guessing a large portion of this is because the cal/protein ratio in most veggie sources is quite low (aside from seitan, which is pretty expensive).
The other reason for this suggestion is that, in so many words, protein isnt protein isnt protein :shocked:

Protein bioavailability is determined by something known as BV, or Biological Value (more detailed notes on this below). In simple terms, the BV of a specific protein source determines the degree to which that protein is utilized. So, while whole-wheat protein has a BV of only 64, beef has a BV of just above 74! Some protein isolates such as microfiltered whey may have BVs of close to 100.

In other words, even though your Tofu may list 45g of protein, the BV of Tofu-sourced protein is only 64 so the actual utilization of that protein is closer to 28.8g.

As it turns out, according to BV, some of the better sources of protein are eggs, lamb and whey-protein isolate. Soy beans are also an excellent source of protein, but who is going to eat a day's worth of protein in edamame?

Cliff Notes-- Protein from different sources varies in its availability (i.e. your body's ability to use it for muscle-fiber growth). For best results, eat lamb, eggs, whey-isolate and soy-beans.

Biological Value = ((Ni-Ne(f)-Ne(u)-Nb)/Ni-Ne(f))*100
Ni = nitrogen intake in proteins on the test diet
Ne(f) = nitrogen excreted in faeces
Ne(u) = nitrogen excreted in urine
Nb = nitrogen excreted on a protein free diet

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
If you are going to Costco... they sell vacuum sealed packs of chicken thighs that are bomb. 5 thighs per pack and I think you get 4 packs. Helps to mix up the constant chicken eating with a little dark meat in there. Might help getting the fat up as well. For breakfast I've been doing fat free greek yogurt (18g of protein, 100 cal, no fat) with flax seed but those get spendy.

Target has low carb, high fiber wraps by Ole. 9 or 12 (can't remember) grams of protein in the wrap itself and really low carb, plus they taste good. Makes for a good lunch with chicken plus the protein of the wrap.

Barilla pasta plus, almost as much protein as chicken per serving. Chicken thighs, Barilla pasta plus and olive oil is my dinner most nights. One pack of thighs and half a box of pasta per week comes out pretty cheap.

Zagreus

Chimp
Jan 3, 2010
S. California
Well, if you are looking for an easily accessible article which summarizes the data nicely, see here, for AFPA's Animal vs. Vegetable Protein Debate: What is the Best Protein For Muscle Growth?

There is also a pretty solid review article here, entitled "Protein- Which is Best? " (Hoffman & Falvo, 2004)

For some great primary literature, the following may be useful:

Chick H., Roscoe, M.H. (1930). "The biological values of proteins: A method for measuring the nitrogenous exchange of rats for the purpose of determining the biological value of proteins". Biochem J. 24 (6): 1780-2.

Poullain, MG et al. Effect of whey proteins, their oligopeptide hydrosylates and free amino acid mixtures on growth and nitrogen retention in fed and starved rats. J Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (1989) 13: 382-386

Pellett, PL and Young, VR. Nutritional evaluation of protein foods. United Nations University, 1980.

FAO/WHO (1991) Protein Quality Evaluation Report of Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO Food and Nutrition Paper No. 51, Rome.

and before anyone calls me some vegan hippy, please view this thread.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226152&highlight=bacon
wow :O
I know what I'm making for dinner :D

from what I'm reading, it assumes that there are no other contributing factors to nitrogen intake than protein?
There are a number of other factors, including essential amino-acid intake (isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, threonine, phenylalanine, valine and tryptophan), as well as H2O consumption-- when consuming high-density protein substrates you should try to ingest a large volume of water to assist in uptake.

Protein should be consumed 45-60 minutes prior to exercise for best results, along with any essential amino-acids.

Last edited:

dorkn

Chimp
Apr 24, 2010
SOCO, MO.
Basically you are following a Paleo AKA Caveman Diet plan. You are wanting proper amounts of Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fats which are found in Lean animal meats. Try baking telapia in olive oil and eating a fresh garden salad Extra lean ground beef with onions peppers and ground cumin and chili powder for seasoning. grilled or baked chicken breast. Get some flaxseed oil or sumplement pills.