Quantcast

Cramps

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
OK all you folks... here's the scenario.

During a team relay type endurance race this weekend, my performance was held up by leg cramps on my 2nd and 3rd laps. We still managed to finish well, and not cramping wouldn't have changed the final standings, but it definitely sucked, both because it hurt like hell, and because I couldn't go all out.

I was plenty hydrated, and I thought I ate well. Big pasta dinner the night before, breakfast of bagels and bananas. Between laps I couldn't stomach much but I concentrated on getting salt and carbs into my system. During and between laps I drank mostly water with a little Propel sugar stuff thrown in.

Any suggestions to keep this from happening next time? Thanks!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Muscles getting cold between laps? Try stretching and massaging out the lactic acid.

My personal solution to cramps is beef jerky, plently of salt and protein. Impossible to eat quickly for solo efforts, for those I drink gatorade for the electrolytes and have an occasional protein smoothie.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
I know I answered in your race thread but here we go again.

I had major leg cramping last year at every endurance event I did (read 2 :D )

If you only have cramps during heavy heavy riding try the following:

Light gatoraded water in your camelback instead of plain water
and Endurolyte pills (from E-caps) for Sodium, magnesium and potassium recovery.

+ Strenching and Hydration (be carefull of alcohol and coffee consumptions 2 days prior to race)

If you have cronic cramps like I did you can try to following

Vitamin E and Magnesium.

They give Vitamin E to people that have leg cramps in the middle of the night with great result and it was suggested for sport cramp as well.

If you ride a lot and train at the gym at the same time your Magnesium level can be too low.

So I take vitamin E and magnesium supp every morning.

So far this is what I have found for me.

Good luck.