Quantcast

Crank Arm Length

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
I am just curious as to how much the length of crank arms effects riding. The reason for me asking is albes has a sale on 180mm wombolts that are usually $180, but are $120 for now. I have been riding 175mm, so would jumping up to 180's be extremely awkward to ride? I am just slightly of 6' tall if that has an influence. And yes, i know personal preference has a great impact, but i want rm's opinion too.:cheers:

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
more leverage = you get those arms spinning with less effort and put the power down faster

but if you do bar spins you might find that your feet get in the way

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I prefer 175 but that's a steal on those cranks. on a side note, I've seen a ton of those snapped off at the spindle weld on bikeguide.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
What bike? BMX or MTB? I think it'd be fine for bmx. You might have some issues if it's for a mtb... tire clearance for your feet and possibly being difficult or impossible to install because of the fixed/short spindle length.

I've been running Wombolts hard for a year and a half with no problem.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
crank arm length is personal preference. I'm 6'1". on my dh race bike i run 165 cranks because it has a super low BB. everything else is 175. yes i notice the difference.

I used to turn wrenches with a kid who was like, 5'5", and run 180mm cranks just for the extra power.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Ya, sorry, i forgot to say what i ride. It's a bmx with a 21" top tube, so i dont think i will have any problems with tire clearance. So i will probably be ordering the wombolts tomorrow. And as for the snapping, i do believe that problem has been fixed. Most everyone that I have spoken to with snapped wombolts had the first generation. I think Odyssey fixed the issue, but i could very well be wrong.