Quantcast

Crank size?

Sista Kreep

Chimp
Jan 30, 2002
northeast
Does your crank size make that much of a difference? Why? I've always ridden 170, but I'm setting up a new bike, and the manufacturer is suggesting 165. Don't know what to do, and I don't see how this can matter all that much!!:confused:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
It depends on what kind of bike it is. For example, DH bikes usually have 165 or 170 cranks for better ground clearance. Where XC bikes need 175 because you're pedalling everywhere. I've seen DS bikes with mostly 170 or 175 cranks because you need the speed. What kind of bike/riding are you talking about?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
That is short...just kidding! If the manufacturer suggest 165, they're probably basing that from previous sizing experience or they might even be working off a sizing chart. What bike is it? It's hard to say what you should use. 165 almost sounds right because 6' tall people use 175 and thay're almost a foot taller than you. Worst case scenario is you try the 165 and realize you don't like them but you never know, maybe that size will suit the bike really really well. Or maybe you could borrow a set of 170 to compare?? Yeah it is hard to say...sorry I could be a better help.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Velo News did a test recently with 3 different riders, short medium and tall and crank lengths which varied from about a 155 all the way to a 180 for each rider. Testing showed each rider was most efficient with the crank length they used on their own bikes but little difference between all othe lengths. Their conclusion was that our bodies adapt really well to different crank lengths but they could draw no conclusion as to which length works best for a given leg length. Go 165 for clearance.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ok the crank lenght is a big deal. the size of the crank arm relates to how quickly you can turn over the pedals. it is generally dependent on the lenght of your legs. go w/ the size the manufactures recommends. i've got really long legs and generally ppl don't run 175's on their road bikes but that's what size i'm gonna have to run.

R

RideMonkey

I used 180's for years. Last year I was having a lot of ankle pain. Couldnt figure out anything to make it go away. I threw some 175's on and the pain went away immediately. My form and comfort on the bike instantly improved.

I think long cranks are over rated.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by RideMonkey
I used 180's for years. Last year I was having a lot of ankle pain. Couldnt figure out anything to make it go away. I threw some 175's on and the pain went away immediately. My form and comfort on the bike instantly improved.

I think long cranks are over rated.
it just depends on how long your legs are man.