Quantcast

Cranks and BB

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by oldfart
As far as I know, there are only two bb's which fit the XT and LX octalink cranks of any year, the ES-70 and ES-71. They come in two lengths 113 and 118. I just put a neww ES-71 in the wifes bike to replace the worn ES-70. There was a difference visually but I think it was just the fixed cup being one with the bb casing??? Can't remember it was a month ago. I'll check the Shimano site.
ES-70 and ES-71 (both xt quality) will work with the '02 and earlier LX and XT arms, or the '03 XT (bulged) arms. The '03 LX (bulged) arms has a deeper insertion only achieve proper chainlines with the new ES-51 bottom bracket which comes in 121mm and 126mm... this is Shimanos crappy ploy to penalize you for buying the cheaper arms.

math, I can't speculate as to the quality and durability of the new outboard bearing setup as I haven't examined on up close, and no one has put much time on them. Shimano has an excellent track record, but it's a pretty new design. Unless you think you need the latest and greatest, the current setup will certainly do the job.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
this might be kinda irrelevent since i didn't really read all but like 4 of the posts...

1) i don't consider cranks to be disposable, which is why i had no problem shelling out the $$ for Turbines and a Sig XS bb.

2) if you're worried about ISIS going away, buy into square tapered (Phil Wood BB?). cheap (just negated Phi) and reliable. or wait for 04 XT to come out.

of your choices, i'd go RF TurbineLP + (higher end) RF Squaretaper bb...i don't think they make a high end square taper anymore, though.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Math, what was the outcome of your crank debate? Im in the same boat today and am on the verge of turbines and isis, or waiting a month or more for the raceface atlas. Im similar in weight and it will be on an agressive XC bike. From what i hear turbines are soon to be discontinued. I figure the outboard bearing thing will be the new standard untill someone comes along and points out another shortfall of the design....like in parlalell taps in BB's that make the bearings bind and wear premature..... for example... (words from a bike industry person there....)

I may double hit you on PM since this is such an old thread.....