Quantcast

Crankworx Innsbruck DH

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
and my favorite Rittershausen...
Whoa, that's a blast from the past, did you race the loco motion cup back then? Eifa, Rittershausen, Elkeringhausen and i believe Büren were the venues, some of them eventually became part of the Grundig cup.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Whoa, that's a blast from the past, did you race the loco motion cup back then? Eifa, Rittershausen, Elkeringhausen and i believe Büren were the venues, some of them eventually became part of the Grundig cup.
First time i raced there was 2002 i believe. It was already part of whats now the ixs cup.
Loco motion cup rings a bell but i dont remember those other venues, unless Elkeringhausen is Winterberg?
I think later it all split into either ixs or the King of the bikepark cup.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Loco motion ran from 1992 until 99 i think, however it was a regional affair and was usurped by the larger national competitions, but it had some great technical tracks. Elkeringhausen was quite similar to Rittershausen's rooty goodness and was held on a different hill in Winterberg without a lift.

Having ridden four different bikeparks this week, i really miss these types of tracks. A lot of modern bikeparks seem to be predominantly made up of boring ass berms and are sorely missing some proper woods sections. Schladming was brilliant though and I've gained a lot of respect for how much they squeezed out of that tiny hill in Winterberg.

It was also encouraging to see Crankworx Innsbruck get a lot of press coverage in Austria, hopefully they get a decent spectator turnout.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Winterberg used to be my "home" track being only 3h from where I used to live in Holland.
Theyve definitly come a long way from when they just opened and theyre making big bucks.

It was a fun little track tho!
Isn't Winterberg a bit too easy to be considered a real DH track? Also it's too short so the splits are stupid small.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Yeah it was easy and short, but with Bad Wildbad, Todtnau or Bischofsmais being a 6 or 8h drive away, it wasnt too bad.
Most of the time if i wouldnt have enough time to do a 2 or 3 day weekend i could just drive to winterberg for a day of practise runs...

Accesability was also a thing back then, a lot of the ixs races (especially the closer ones) didnt have lifts and only did shuttles during races.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah it was easy and short, but with Bad Wildbad, Todtnau or Bischofsmais being a 6 or 8h drive away, it wasnt too bad.
Most of the time if i wouldnt have enough time to do a 2 or 3 day weekend i could just drive to winterberg for a day of practise runs...

Accesability was also a thing back then, a lot of the ixs races (especially the closer ones) didnt have lifts and only did shuttles during races.
I really like Winterberg as a bikepark. They managed to do a lot with such a small hill. I just don't think it's a proper race track. I'm pretty sure you could race a 4x hardtail on the dh trail and loose very little time to big rigs.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I really like Winterberg as a bikepark. They managed to do a lot with such a small hill. I just don't think it's a proper race track. I'm pretty sure you could race a 4x hardtail on the dh trail and loose very little time to big rigs.
can't tell if being sarcastic

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
ive tried looking up race results from when they still had a ht class but couldnt find them.
but fastest elite men times are well below two minutes so I guess they would be close.

Having ridden this track on several bikes I think I felt fastest on a tazer fs back in the day but the track has changed a lot through the years. There have also been a few times i was glad to be on the v10...
When was the last time you rode there?

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i know it wasn't a full wc field but i was surprised by the difference in times between 1st and 10th in mens and women's (4 sec for men, 32 for women). heck, tracey hannah's lead over the 2 spot (6 sec) was bigger.

will be interested to see if this is true of wc races as well. just a symptom of a much deeper men's field, i guess?

anyway, props to hart and hannah. almost had a bro/sis top podium step. jack moir's staying strong too.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I get the feeling they decided to devote their cameras to the slopestyle event and the DH wasn't taped. which is a total bummer caus' I was really looking forward to watching this race. the course looked tough. and to be honest, I really couldn't care less about slopestyle - it's so far removed from what I do as a biker. But I get why they choose to broadcast that though, far bigger mass-market appeal and all...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
ive tried looking up race results from when they still had a ht class but couldnt find them.
but fastest elite men times are well below two minutes so I guess they would be close.

Having ridden this track on several bikes I think I felt fastest on a tazer fs back in the day but the track has changed a lot through the years. There have also been a few times i was glad to be on the v10...
When was the last time you rode there?
Quite a few years ago. 5 or 6 so a lot may have changed. I really had fun on that track and I like the final short steep bit (I'd really love for all of it to be like this)

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Better than nothing i guess - only two angles, although they do mix it up a bit for the final men, and you get to see Danny Hart sneakily going off the final ramp at the halfway point: