Quantcast

Crap what the hell should i do?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I was riding today doing some trais i haven't done in a while. I was on my way home on a paved bike path and i was blowing my nose with a klenex and wasn't paying attension went off the path and flew over the bar.
Now i feel like an idiot and i geuss i am. ;)
The problem is somehow i bent my front rim real bad it goes about 3in in each direction. I don't think it's fixable and if it is it won't last.
The big problem is that it has a lefty front hub so getting a new wheel isn't so easy it means buying one from c-dale which jacks the price like crasy.

So i'm thinking getting this wheelset off ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1867194775

It's a good deal and is the upgrade worth it? I figure i'll cut back on upgrades i was going to get for next year (drivetrain stuff) and get cheaper stuff cause tubeless makes more of a difference.
I'd like your take on the situation

:confused: :eek:

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
why don't you just get a new rim and have it laced to the hub you have now? That should be the cheapest alternative if you absolutely can't get it trued.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Thats true but i also forget to mention my rear hub is dying and the rim has a number of dings in it along with the weld cracking.
i geuss this is what happens when you ride 2 hours a day.
So basically by spring time i need both wheels replaced.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
well in races i have this really bad habit of in a technicle section my nose is about to drip and it drives me crasy so i take a hand off and wipe my nose luckly i don't usally crash.

Anyways do you think i should go ahead a buy that wheelset?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Hey Buddy - you need to learn to blow snot. Sounds crude but there you go. In a race you won't have time to use a kleenex and it keeps others from drafting you. :D
that's the reason why i do it lol......quickest way to break up a group isn't to attack on it but instead to just blow a snot rocket. :devil:

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by JMAC
I was riding today doing some trais i haven't done in a while. I was on my way home on a paved bike path and i was blowing my nose with a klenex and wasn't paying attension went off the path and flew over the bar.
Now i feel like an idiot and i geuss i am. ;)
The problem is somehow i bent my front rim real bad it goes about 3in in each direction.
"Work on your riding style":rolleyes:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
The ebay didn't isn't going to work cause the guy won't ship to canada and he's being a jerk.
So i have $500canadian to spend on a new wheelset that has to include new disk rotors 6in and 7in i think and if i get UST i also have to get tires with that money.
So what can i do i'm pretty desperate i need to ride i'm going crasy.:confused:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Dude all you need is a couple hoops, a rear hub, some spokes and a build. Hell send me the $500 and your front hub and I'll build you up a sweet wheelset. For that much money you should be able to get some NICE wheels.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya but a good set of rims a rear disk hub and spokes would cost alot and can you build wheels on lefty hubs?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Lacing a Lefty hub is the same as any other hub, as long as the dish and spoke tension are good, you're all set... as far as parts, you can get a XT disc hub for around $60, a pair of decent rims should be around $100-150, spokes about $40-50 so at most you're looking at about $250, convert that to CDN and you should have no trouble getting a very nice set of wheels custom built to your spec... talk to a shop, you might be pleasantly surprised :)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Also if you talk to Scott at Go-ride, I'm pretty sure he would let you send him your lefty hub, as long as you bought the rest of the stuff from him he would probably do it for you... his wheelbuilder is a pretty well known guy :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Tweek
You're a chump if you pay more than $40US plus shipping for an XT disc hub. :monkey:
HA, not all of us know the value of every bike part, doubt that makes us chumps... good day sir :p

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
My apologies for not going to all the mailorder companies and checking all their prices before I posted sport... my comment stands :monkey:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Wow i never new about Go-ride.com until now thanks

When a wheel is being built isn't it usally on some sort of stand like a truing stand i know nothing about it but thats what i thought.
So do wheel builders just build them and hope they get all lined up and stuff?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Tweek: Hehehe if I took it personally every time you called me a chump we'd be pretty bloody :D I'm prolly goin' to see Victor tonight, call or PM me if ya need anything.

JMAC: Certainly a truing stand would be used, it would not be hard to make an adapter for doing up a Lefty hub. Cannondale probably has one that you pay through the nose for, but it wouldn't be that hard to come up with a cheap homemade version that works just as well :monkey:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
i think i'm going to go tubeless and get something like an XT rear disk hub built up on a Mavic X3.1 rim
Than have the same rim built on my lefty hub.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya luckly it is over but i still want to ride atleast 2hours a day and i can't which really f0cks my shlt right up

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Nope it's in my basement mounted to my trainer. My friend really wants to buy it from me for 600$canadian he says he'll have the money by early december.
If he buys it i'll buy a new Giant OCR 3 for the same price.:D

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I spent 650$ of my moms money today:D well she's just lending me the money for a couple weeks.

So this is what i got
XT disk hub and rotor built on to a mavic X3.1 ust rim
And my dealer is going to take my lefty hub to mavic and have them build it onto a X3.1 ust rim.
And ordered a set of IRC serac 2.1 tubeless tires

I hope it will last all next year and more.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I spent 650$ of my moms money today:D well she's just lending me the money for a couple weeks.

So this is what i got
XT disk hub and rotor built on to a mavic X3.1 ust rim
And my dealer is going to take my lefty hub to mavic and have them build it onto a X3.1 ust rim.
And ordered a set of IRC serac 2.1 tubeless tires

I hope it will last all next year and more.
you spent 650 on all of that!?!??!! :( dude you got RAPED. whoever you bought that from just bent you over and TAGGED your ass!!! you could have spent a little bit mroe and gotten a pair of mavic crossmax sl's and those have a lefty compitable front wheel.......

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Crossmax was alot more in his catalog and the new sl proble doesn't come in 32 holes which would mean new lefty hub and couldn't afford anything more. I don't think i got rapped cause i looked and deals over the internet and ebay with shipping and everything i don't think so.:eek:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Who ever said that i took my lefty hub and gave it to my dealer who is going to drive to Mavic tomorrow to have them build it on the wheel because he says they have better wheel builders than him. And no i don't mean mavic in france i'm mean the place were they build them in Quebec.

I think the rims i got will be perfect cause i read reveiws and they all say they're very strong but not as light as Crossmax which i don't mind. they won't weigh more than what i had before and for racing i like strong reliable products , light but not superlight

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Crossmax was alot more in his catalog and the new sl proble doesn't come in 32 holes which would mean new lefty hub and couldn't afford anything more. I don't think i got rapped cause i looked and deals over the internet and ebay with shipping and everything i don't think so.:eek:
dudeeeeee it's A wheel set you don't have to have it laced up to that cdale hub. mavic makes a set of crossmax sl's w/ a lefty hub that they make so you wouldn't have to worry about getting it laced up to that hub. cdale isn't the only one that makes hubs for that fork......

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Dude it would also cost alot more cause i also got tires and a disk rotor for that price i really couldn't spend anymore. Also i don't think i would be able to get that wheelset in Quebec anyways for awhile yet.:p

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by pat873401
Well im getting crossrocs somewhere in the near future. not lefty though.:D
those wheels for the money are ****in smokiiiiiing! i'm runnin a set right now and i like them a lot.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by indieboy

those wheels for the money are ****in smokiiiiiing! i'm runnin a set right now and i like them a lot.
Can't go much lower from where i am now, cheap deore hubs and mavic 223s.

What tires do you run for racing?