Quantcast

critique my pictures

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
critique and comments are welcome.

All were taken with my D40, and 18-55 lens. I plan on getting something nice this summer to shoot with. I am up in the air between Canon 5D mkII or a Nikon D700.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If this is your interest, you'd do a lot better to invest funds in some nice flashes than you would to buy a full frame camera.

Shooting modeling photos, especially outdoors, requires some off-camera flashes. The composition on #3-5 isn't bad, but they have no pop. $2300+ would be better spent on a nice lens and at least two flashes.

Composition on #2 is very flat. Again, not good lighting, but it falls in a funny range where there's either too much or not enough of her in the frame.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I hope this isn't going to be your "art school" portfolio...a new body wouldn't make any of those shots good. Pick up a Holga and get nasty, at least you can sell to UO and you won't be out $2400.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Agree with most of what was said, especially in regards to the 'new body'....don't get caught up in the new camera body game, I have owned and tried all the latest and greatest, but at the end of the day everything made in the last 4 years or so does the same sh1t (for the most part).

Like others have said, some more lighting on your subject to make her pop woulda been better, you don't NEED flashes, but might help in some cases. I just worked on a few campaigns assisting and 80% of the lighting we used reflector boards, panels, etc...and this was outside, mid day, etc...

All that being said, the images don't suck at all. She looks comfortable, not nervous and that is always the biggest challenge in shooting a person. Art is subjective isn't it, if you like em-F everyone.

Buy glass, find light.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I would love to have a sweet setup. A new body is in order for several reasons, biggest one is how used my d40 is. I have shot in some of the most extreme conditions found in NJ (I know its no Mt. Everest or Sahara desert.) but it has seen water, dust ect. I would like something that has a few more auto focus points. I was looking at a canon 40D and Nikon D300 for a while. I really can't decide what I want. I am trying to find the 35mm afs lens nikon just released.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Putting your model at ease will go a long way, she looks somewhat uncomfortable and nervous - takes away from the composition (but better than anything I could do)

You should visit derekpearson.com - self taught photographer with enormous talent.

The difference between staging a scene and capturing a worthwhile moment is probably to difference between technical competency and artistic intuition.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was looking at a canon 40D and Nikon D300 for a while. I really can't decide what I want. I am trying to find the 35mm afs lens nikon just released.
You are going to be seriously disappointed if you invest $2k+ in a body and end up shorting yourself on the lens.

Buy a secondhand D200 for small money and spend your savings on good lenses and good flashes.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Nice shots, Sean... keep at it....

Invest into the CyberSyncs wireless transmitters/receivers... they;re very good and you get the bank for the buck, u know.....!!!!

If you had some remote flashes these images would have been 100% great..... aside from that, i like them....