Quantcast

Crossing the Border with Bikes

guiepinto

Chimp
Nov 17, 2009
Brazil
Hi monkeys

I'm from Brazil and will buy a bike in the US.

Could there be any issue with Canadian Customs crossing the border to Canada with a brand new bike?

Thanks...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I suggest you take it out of the box get some mud on the tires and it's not longer a new bike.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
I've brought as many as 3 new bikes back with me. Get them dirty like said above. Then bring back one case of beer over the limit. You'll get the beer talk and they won't concentrate on anything else. Works, everytime.

guiepinto

Chimp
Nov 17, 2009
Brazil
I've brought as many as 3 new bikes back with me. Get them dirty like said above. Then bring back one case of beer over the limit. You'll get the beer talk and they won't concentrate on anything else. Works, everytime.
Good one... Thanks...

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Careful with the dirt! I was told by some Canadian customers leaving Whiteface that Canadian customs made them go back into the states and wash their bikes 1st. I know, crazy! I wouldn't worry about it though. Just wanted to share my 1 story.

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
I've been warned crossing back into Canada with dirt on the bikes more then once. I know a good friend had to turn back and find a place to wash his bikes, but having said that he had Moto's. It is illegal to transport dirt across the border.....for realz

The thing is, if your from Brazil and not a Canadian resident, you shouldn't have to worry about bringing a bike into the country inless you plan on leaving it behind(ie bringing the bike across for a friend). The only reason anyone is concerned about anything bought in the US, is so the Man(Canadian gov) can get their taxes. If your not a resident then you wont be paying taxes and you shouldnt be paying any taxes if you buy a bike in Washington state either.

Fanatik bike, in Bellingham, sells a ton of bikes to people coming to Canada to ride and I dont think they have had any issues. You could try emailing them.

Edit. I just searched the Canadian visitor credit rebate program and it seems it was cancelled some time ago. This only pertains to stuff bought in Canada while visiting. I recently just bought a bike in the US and did not have to pay Washington sales tax due to being a non-resident.

Last edited:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Stop off in Bellingham, visit Drop n Zone or Fanatik, grab a map, go for a ride up Galbraith and the 'new' bike is no longer an issue. Have done this before without a single problem.

Carcinogen

Chimp
May 5, 2011
Seattle
I can wholeheartedly say that drinking vitamin R in canada is awesome.
out of curiousity what is the limit on beer?
"There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP officer could require the importer to obtain an TTB import license (which is required for all commercial importations) before releasing it."

and

"Generally, one liter of alcohol per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more. Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes, which will be assessed and collected at the port of entry."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/kw/bringing beer into the U/session/L3NpZC8tQXprKklTaw==