Quantcast

Crowded Downhill practice

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Ok so instead of jacking the other post I thought I'd start my own.
I'm new to downhill and really enjoy riding with friends but when it comes to a crowded race weekend I hate it. I don't like being in constant fear of getting run over. (not that that's going to happen most people are nice about it) I just freak out at the sound of someone coming up on me at mock 1 speed.

Do any other women dislike practice simply because of the traffic on the trail? Am I going to get over this fear as I get better and faster?

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
I only raced a couple of times last year. I hated it too. I tried to get there early and take a few runs on the practice day before it got too crowded.
I haven't raced this year yet. I'm more into the freeride aspect of the sport this season.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
VT Mtbkr said:
Am I going to get over this fear as I get better and faster?

Yes.

If you stick with it and race enough you will get past this. When I moved up to Semi-pro and had to practice with the likes of Sam Hill, I was constantly worried about getting in the way. But after a year of racing in this category I don't even worry about it anymore. If I hear someone behind me, I simply move over.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Totally! It sucks if you are just riding the course to get a good look at everthing and have some rushing up behind you.

I have gotten used to it by having my BF ride behind me as often as possible XC and DH so it doesn't bother me as much.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I agree...you will get over it and learn to deal with the other people on the course. You'll learn that there are nice people on the course that will let you know they want to pass and you'll let them and you'll deal with the people that swear and get pissy when they can't pass you IMMEDIATELY. Remember it's your practice time also and you have just as much right to be there as everyone else.

There are always people that are trying to win practice :wonky2:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
It should get better with time. When I first started racing it freaked the hell out of me also. But if you're courteous to others about getting out of their way, they will most likely be courteous back about not buzzing your tire (mind you that's most....you'll still always get the occasional a**hole out there).

Also as some SuperKat mentioned, getting to practice as early as possible for less crowds can help (I like that better anyway) and if you know a section is coming up that you're slower on or if there isn't good passing, pull over and make sure the coast is clear. Yes it makes it harder to get a top to bottom run in, but honestly, with crowded practices, that's not very likely to happen anyway :) Good luck!

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
No matter what class you're racing in, you're going to run into a few idiots, who, like someone else said - are trying to win practice. Obviously, you get used to jumping out of the way when you hear someone coming, and the majority are friendly and don't have problems realizing that it's PRACTICE and you paid to race the same as they did. But expect one or two psychos who think they deserve the seas to part in front of them. It'll happen. I race expert, but at one national they merged pro and expert practice due to rain delays and it wasn't much different.

The thing that annoys me more than anything are the backups - ride 100 yards, wait half an hour while everyone inspects and picks their way through something. Ugh. I've been at a few nationals where you were lucky to get two runs in in the entire practice unless you blazed a trail around the trail to avoid the backed up sections. That's the part that makes me not want to race - I want to ride, not stand around in a crowd. And you don't get that much practice time allotted in the first place.

I think all you can do is start practice early - take a break in the middle, and hit it again at the end, when most people have given up.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks everyone. For the race this weekend we are going up a day early so I should be able to get all my practice done tomorrow and then just ride all the other trails on Saturday.

I've been racing XC for 3 years now and am used to passing and getting passed but it's totally different in DH. I'm too busy concentrating on remaining upright and hate having to worry about people trying to get by me. I do pull off and wait for a lull in traffic before trying a tricky section.

I guess I'll get more used to it the more I ride.