Quantcast

CT: 27 dead including 18 kids in CT school shooting. There are no words - WTF?!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Why is that they always kill themselves after the devistation they create. I want
him alive and justice be served. So f'd up.

The psychological profile for these cases is typically a person who is suicidally depressed with major anger issues.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
those kids probably should have had that whistling backpack, maybe this could have all been avoided...
Dude, really?
Just what you need, blood everywhere, dead kids and screaming backpacks. The PTSD the kids who survived are going to suffer from is bad enough, don't make them hate backpacks too.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
It's a tragedy when it happens in Norway. Not here.

Imagine taking out all the stoplights, and then bemoaning the amount of collisions. If only we could do something to reduce the number of incidents!

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
If I was one of those parents, you can have all the "justice" you want, but it doesn't bring your child back. God forbid I'm ever in a situation like that the last thing on my mind will be justice....I'd prefer to use that mental time and energy to remember and honor my child.
An excellent point, Andy. What could possibly bring the child back?

It's hard to discuss this situation and not bring mine up. No, I did not lose Alaina at someone else's hand, yet I still lost her. The absolute bottom line is still the same..... The child is gone. How does one deal with such a loss? All I can say is your grieve, you ask "why" a lot, you talk to others that are walking in the same shoes, and you try to breathe. As for the other children, they need to be held, and held tightly. They will have loads of questions. The answers can't be sugar-coated, yet using Einstein's theory will not work, either.

As for the shooter, well, he's a coward. Unless he left some sort of written info as to what he was planning, why he did it will be very, very difficult to phathom. He does not have to hear the parents' anger, or look them in the eye, if he could, while on trial. Did he do the system a favor by off-ing himself? Maybe. And as been said many times before, only One will judge him. May that judgement be fair.....

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
God Bless everyone who needlessly lost their lives in this incident. My prayers are for those parents and kids who survived. I have lived a hard life and things I experienced as a child still affect me to this day. I am sorry for that.....

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
No, it's not.

Americans are violent assholes with a massive superiority complex and access to insane amounts of weaponry meant to punch holes in other living beings.
Much of that would not be a problem with better parenting and family values.

Not the right wing nutjob christian bull**** kind though. Real parenting - with reason, guidance, not instilling your kids with fear, having compassion, understanding, etc.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
So very sad. I can't think of how this could be worse.

It's so hard for me to believe that nobody who knew the killer didn't have a feeling, some idea, that he was capable of violence. I do hope that the killer left some explanation, not that it could ever make sense to the rest of the world. I mean, this was SO over the top malicious.

We killed kids in Vietnam and Iraq. We kill kids in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Kids are killed in Latin America and across the world when corporations steal their parent's land for energy and mineral extraction.

The Connecticut situation is close and immediate so we wring our hands while ignoring larger issues.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
just the white ones?
interesting snark, as it reinforces that in this country, black tragedy isn't news; it's a statistic:

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/05/155986277/new-orleans-struggles-with-murder-rate-and-trust

so yeah, enact legislation to remove access to firearms when there's someone in the household who's been diagnosed or is receiving mental health treatment. this will likely prevent up to a few dozen a year, which while tragic, borders on statistically irrelevant when applied to nearly 15,000

to compare, more marines (the smallest of the 4 services) have killed themselves with guns this year than all the poor white children who were killed in aurora, oregon, & CT.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We killed kids in Vietnam and Iraq. We kill kids in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Kids are killed in Latin America and across the world when corporations steal their parent's land for energy and mineral extraction.

The Connecticut situation is close and immediate so we wring our hands while ignoring larger issues.
interesting snark, as it reinforces that in this country, black tragedy isn't news; it's a statistic:

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/05/155986277/new-orleans-struggles-with-murder-rate-and-trust

so yeah, enact legislation to remove access to firearms when there's someone in the household who's been diagnosed or is receiving mental health treatment. this will likely prevent up to a few dozen a year, which while tragic, borders on statistically irrelevant when applied to nearly 15,000

to compare, more marines (the smallest of the 4 services) have killed themselves with guns this year than all the poor white children who were killed in aurora, oregon, & CT.
Same as it ever was. :(

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
You'll never get rid of guns in the US. Cat's too far out of the bag on that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
here's the other thing:

for all the people calling to ban all guns / repeal the second amendment, haven't seen a single idea on how to enforce it, yet alone how to fund it.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
You'll never get rid of guns in the US. Cat's too far out of the bag on that.
This is correct but getting rid of guns is not really the goal. A few points.

1) If I learned anything reading $tinkle's fast and furious links, it is that the process for purchasing guns in this country is seriously fvcked up. It is a problem when someone can buy a single gun for someone else without repercussions. It is a major problem when you can purchase many.

2) Gun buy backs work. There are lots of people who are willing to give up their guns for some cash. One of these may be someone who knows they have trouble brewing with a family member who is struggling with mental health issues.

3) They take your drivers license if you have epilepsy. They should take guns in cases of mental illness.

Not being able to get rid of all guns doesn't mean you shouldn't do the common sense things.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
3) They take your drivers license if you have epilepsy. They should take guns in cases of mental illness.

Not being able to get rid of all guns doesn't mean you shouldn't do the common sense things.
I concur on this part. I lost my license because the was a chance, not a guarantee, but a chance, that I might have a seizure while driving and kill somebody. It somebody has been proven mentally unstable, they should not be able to own a gun. It' s a slippery slope, but it needs to be looked at.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If you have spent over 2 hours playing video games or have become proficient at them. You shouldn't be allowed to own a gun.

It needed to be said.....

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
People are busy arguing gun laws, video games, poor parenting, mental health issues, etc.....

Yesterday, 20 kids went to school probably getting ready for show and tell. Yesterday, 20 families didn't pick their child up from school.

Last edited:

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Oh sorry "now is not the time?"

Yeah it is.
Not saying that. 20 families didn't pick up their child from school yesterday. The WHY is a huge issue, the bigger issue, right now, are those families not having their child with them. If you have kid's in that age bracket, you'd understand. Nonetheless, I understand what you're saying, but don't be condescending.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
People are busy arguing gun laws, video games, poor parenting, mental health issues, etc.....
GOOD.

Maybe people will keep talking about it and not go back to burying their fvcking brains in the heaps of sh1t that is piled on us from all sides. Maybe people will look up from there fvcking phones for a minute or turn off Honey fvcking Boo Boo and talk about some things that MATTER.

20 families can't pick up their kids but millions of families can stop for a moment and reflect and think about their own lives and their own safety and their own communities. They can consider how they vote next time. They can lock up their guns better. A productive discussion can happen because of all the tangential issues related to this.

So yeah. Now is the time.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Not saying that. 20 families didn't pick up their child from school yesterday. The WHY is a huge issue, the bigger issue, right now, are those families not having their child with them. If you have kid's in that age bracket, you'd understand. Nonetheless, I understand what you're saying, but don't be condescending.
I am the father of a first grader. I want to understand what you are saying but I'm not sure I do. This has hit really close to home and maybe you are just processing it better than I am. I can't help the parents of those kids. I can't tell them how to get through the next day. I can't help them understand what happened. I spent time in my kids class this week and the more I try to understand how this can happen the further away I get. I got nuthin.

The only thing I can do is work to ensure that this is a tipping point away from our idiotic idolatry of guns, away from our reliance on cheap bumper sticker slogans instead of though and away from our cowardice in governance. This has to be a tipping point.