Quantcast

Cure for the common cold and telecommuting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
One recent evening when I had a nasty cold, I lay awake in my bed wondering if there would ever be a cure/vaccine for the common cold. I could only come to one conclusion - I think it already exists - BUT - drug companies would not be able to agree on who gets the money. Think about it if one or two companies get the rights to the cure - which again, already exists. How many companies and how many products would be rendered obselete? Sudafed, Advil Cold and Sinus, Nyquil, Dayquil, Tylenol PM, Theraflu, etc., etc. Oh and don't forget Halls, Luden's, Ricola, etc. Then there's Kleenex. Get the trend? So I drew the conclusion, there would never be a cure (at least publicly) for the common cold.

Then my thoughts digressed. Telecommuting. For similar reasons, we are not allowed to work from home. Think about all the technology available now in 2005, yet we don't take advantage of it - remote access, wireless networking, netmeeting, video conf., etc. Why? Who'll buy gas and oil if we don't drive to work? Who will stop at the store on the way home if we don't drive to work? Who will buy Dunkin Slobnuts or Starbuck's if we don't drive to work? Who will buy cars if we don't drive to work? Wo will get their cars repaired if we don't drive to work? Come on, you get it. Just fill in the blanks - Who will ____________________ if we don't drive to work?
Who will make the rich people rich when things change for the good?????
This societal dilemna seriously seriously perplexes me. There's no need to sit in this office for 9 hrs/day, with 1.5 hrs of daily commuting. No need at all. Especially with the sniffles.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
for starters, the "common" cold isn't just one consistent strain of virus or bacteria. hence, no single magic bullet to wipe it out, year after year.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
CREATE YOUR HEALTH

I've decided I'm no longer a victim of the environment. If I have an ailement (sp?) I do C+E breathing (consciousness and energy) for 3 hours or so and it's gone.

F modern medicine, it's useless. Everyday I hear

"oh, a new ******g drug to lower cholesterol"

note : MIGHT CAUSE STROKE

Doctors are guessers, the drug companies are owned by the government (whether you think so or not)

It's not cost effective to have healthy people.

Own your environment, or it will own you.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
if figured it all out.. on New years day .. come to coney island and jump into the water with all the polar bears.... since then I have yet to have a serious cold.. 3 years now..

the russians say it makes you "strong like Bull!!""

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Knuckleslammer said:
CREATE YOUR HEALTH

I've decided I'm no longer a victim of the environment. If I have an ailement (sp?) I do C+E breathing (consciousness and energy) for 3 hours or so and it's gone.

Doctors are guessers, the drug companies are owned by the government (whether you think so or not)

Knuck, I seriously hope that you never have an affliction which actually *requires* a drug to treat. I'd be afraid that you'd actually believe the nonsense you're posting and not take it. :(

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
for starters, the "common" cold isn't just one consistent strain of virus or bacteria. hence, no single magic bullet to wipe it out, year after year.
:stupid:

It's asinine to think that drug companies have some massive conspiracy going on. Hey Narlus - have you seen my tinfoil hat? :confused:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Knuckleslammer said:
CREATE YOUR HEALTH

Basically why I don't believe in pharmaceuticals and why I'm studying Chiropractic.

Antibiotics and drugs have done very little for me when I've had to use them, so I have very nearly NO use for them OR traditional MDs.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
maybe he turned into a christian scientist?

aren't those the nuts who believe in the healing power of prayer and take no medication? i recall a court case here in boston about a family which took no action during their young son's illness (can't recall what it was), and i think they were charged w/ manslaughter.

i could have the details wrong a bit, but that's what i recall.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
narlus said:
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."

- Jack Handey
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa cough HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa cough cough cough HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa cough copious amounts of blood HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa cough splat

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
robdamanii said:
Basically why I don't believe in pharmaceuticals and why I'm studying Chiropractic.

Antibiotics and drugs have done very little for me when I've had to use them, so I have very nearly NO use for them OR traditional MDs.
good luck being a witchdoctor.

or are you striving to be a shaman?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
robdamanii said:

Its all the con artist you believe in.

I, like Narlus, hope you folks don't think that you can cure everything with insense, a good crack of the back and positive thinking.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
narlus said:
good luck being a witchdoctor.

or are you striving to be a shaman?
Witchdoctor? Funny thing that there's plenty of evidence that they help people.

Or are you one of those people who merely hates them because "they don't prescribe drugs"?

And hrm....I believe it's about 45% of americans that say that a chiropractor helps them. I'll be perfectly happy to help that 45% and ignore disbelievers such as yourself.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
DRB said:
Its all the con artist you believe in.

I, like Narlus, hope you folks don't think that you can cure everything with insense, a good crack of the back and positive thinking.
Never did I say I could CURE things. However, I do believe that every part of the body is linked with every other part of the body. When one part is not functioning properly, then other parts will follow suit.

And frankly, I don't believe, from both personal experiences and observations, that most modern medicine acutally works worth a damn. Sure, broken bones can be set, and severe injuries can be repaired, but by and large....I see the vast majority of pharmaceuticals as unnecessary and overprescribed.

Edit: And you'd be AMAZED what positive thinking and a positive mental attitude will do for healing the body.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Knuckleslammer said:

Personally, I'm awaiting the perfection of nanobots. What better way to have the crust cleared out of your arteries than with tiny little submarines?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
robdamanii said:

Or are you one of those people who merely hates them because "they don't prescribe drugs"?

And hrm....I believe it's about 45% of americans that say that a chiropractor helps them. I'll be perfectly happy to help that 45% and ignore disbelievers such as yourself.
i'm sure something like 30% of americans believes that god (or is it the flying spaghetti monster?) speaks directly to them. hell, enough people think so highly of Nickelback's "Photograph" that it's currently the #2 single in america.

penicillin certainly had no good use for mankind.

btw, i don't hate chiropractors. i'm sure they're good for a laugh.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
narlus said:
penicillin certainly had no good use for mankind.

btw, i don't hate chiropractors. i'm sure they're good for a laugh.
Frankly, you are nothing more than a closed minded ass.

NEVER did I say penicillin did nothing for mankind, stop putting words in my mouth. I said that there CERTAINLY is empirical evidence for the efficacy of chiropractic manipulation and it's beneficial effects on the human body.

If you don't believe it, that's your business. But there are plenty of people out there that swear by it, and there's a HELL of a business out there that is thriving upon it.

I suppose you believe actupuncture etc is also "good for a laugh". Idiot.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
narlus said:
do you regret getting vaccinated against polio?
Sure, vaccinate against everything. Medicate against everything. Then when a resistant strain develops, we can sit around and cry about "drugs don't work and people are dying". The number of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria currently are increasing. It's only a matter of time until mother nature beats us. But hey, keep at it. It thins the population.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
robdamanii said:
And hrm....I believe it's about 45% of americans that say that a chiropractor helps them.
Yes, if you keep returning for your weekly "follow up treatment". Sorry, chiro's are the biggest scammers out there..

I went for a while because I was having some weird leg pain....took me almost 2 months to feel better from the bullsh!t manouvers that were delivered to me.

:devil:

Skeg

Chimp
Sep 22, 2005
all Chiropractors are quacks at best

and they all swear that acupuncture is also serious "medicine"

good luck praying for health, you'll need it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
robdamanii said:
Sure, vaccinate against everything. Medicate against everything. Then when a resistant strain develops, we can sit around and cry about "drugs don't work and people are dying". The number of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria currently are increasing. It's only a matter of time until mother nature beats us. But hey, keep at it. It thins the population.
what's your point? that we do nothing against infectious agents?

if you have kids, will you get them vaccinated against chronic disease?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
robdamanii said:
But there are plenty of people out there that swear by it, and there's a HELL of a business out there that is thriving upon it.

I suppose you believe actupuncture etc is also "good for a laugh". Idiot.
How is it different from what a drug company does, then?

Accupuncture also did jack-sh!t for me.

Name calling is cool. :rolleyes:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
SilentJ said:
Yes, if you keep returning for your weekly "follow up treatment". Sorry, chiro's are the biggest scammers out there..

I went for a while because I was having some weird leg pain....took me almost 2 months to feel better from the bullsh!t manouvers that were delivered to me.

:devil:
Fvck you too.

Find me statistics showing that chiropractors are "quacks" and I'll believe you.

Go read, with an open mind before you trash something (Narlus).

http://www.amerchiro.org/
http://www.chiropractic.org/
http://www.chiro.org/main/
http://nccam.nih.gov/health/chiropractic/

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

It's asinine to think that drug companies have some massive conspiracy going on. Hey Narlus - have you seen my tinfoil hat? :confused:
Oh you mean those companies that fight tooth and nail to ensure that Americans (many poor and elderly) are unable to buy cheap drugs from Canada or abroad? Oh yeah them. You're right, they wouldn't do anything other than what's in our best interests. Money is not important to them. ;)

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
SilentJ said:
How is it different from what a drug company does, then?

Accupuncture also did jack-sh!t for me.

Name calling is cool. :rolleyes:
Yeah, name calling is cool. As is calling an entire legitimate profession of DOCTORS quacks, liars, witch doctors, etc.

If you disagree, that's fine. I've no problem with disagreement, but when you decide YOU'RE right, when YOU HAVE NO CLUE AS TO THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE PROFESSION OR IT'S INTRACICIES, YOU ARE BEYOND STUPID. I don't care if you believe antibiotics and vaccinations and western medicine are the greatest global cures of all time, that's your business. I don't happen to believe it. I happen to fully believe that the human body's innate ability to heal itself will trump drugs in a majority of cases.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
JimmyTwoTimes said:
Oh you mean those companies that fight tooth and nail to ensure that Americans (many poor and elderly) are unable to buy cheap drugs from Canada or abroad? Oh yeah them. You're right, they wouldn't do anything other than what's in our best interests. Money is not important to them. ;)
No - I'm pointing out that to keep such a massive conspiracy under wraps would basically be impossible.

Woe is us if the drug companies just decide to say "Fu** it - let the fu**ers fend for themselves" and stop attempting to discover new drug therapies.

Because believe it or not - despite the over prescription of antibiotics and everyone and their brother taking antidepressants, the drug companies are coming out with some amazing stuff to combat real, deadly diseases.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Echo said:
You need to learn to discuss things without vulgar attacks and personal insults to other members.
No offense, but the term "witch doctor" and "quack" are attacks and personal insults upon myself directly and the profession.

Close the thread. The minute it degenerated into a bunch of people ignorantly trying to tell me I'm an idiot for persuing my choice of career is where it went out of hand.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
robdamanii said:
Yeah - but you know what they're using when they help people? Drugs. They may be "herbs" or "potions" or whatever, but when it comes down to it they're using drugs.

Chanting healing mantras never helped anyone.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
JimmyTwoTimes said:
same thing as region-coding of DVDs. you want to buy a $2 DVD made in Asia? yr US region-coded player can't play it. sorry, but that's game.

blaming modern medicine and researchers (and their inherent "good") for this is ludicrous, don't you think?

btw, have you and knuck formed a tin-foil hat operation in Worcester together? :D

btw rob - you haven't answered my hypothetical question as to whether or not you regret being vaccinated against polio. did your parents do you wrong?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah - but you know what they're using when they help people? Drugs. They may be "herbs" or "potions" or whatever, but when it comes down to it they're using drugs.

Chanting healing mantras never helped anyone.
Spinal manipulation is not a drug.

Nor is trans-cuaneous electric muscle stimulation, hyrdrocullator therapy, intersegmental traction, deep tissue massage, etc etc.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
narlus said:
same thing as region-coding of DVDs. you want to buy a $2 DVD made in Asia? yr US region-coded player can't play it. sorry, but that's game.

blaming modern medicine and researchers (and their inherent "good") for this is ludicrous, don't you think?

btw, have you and knuck formed a tin-foil hat operation in Worcester together? :D

btw rob - you haven't answered my hypothetical question as to whether or not you regret being vaccinated against polio. did your parents do you wrong?
Do I think they were? I don't know. I don't know a world OTHER than that.

I DO however know that the western medicine world we live in is grossly undersuccessful for all the advancement we've made.

The chinese are still around after several thousand years. Are you telling me their medicine holds NO value whatsoever?

Status
Not open for further replies.