Quantcast

Custom Builders - Who's Out There?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Looking at possible custom build options for a 180mm DH bike with a climbable seat post angle. Who does custom frames besides Ventana (non-optimal kinematics) and Nicolai (super pricey)?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
geo of liteville/uzzi/darkside not workin' for ya?
Liteville - BB is high, reach is short. I could run an XL and a 26" rear wheel to solve. Probably fine but feels hokey considering I normally ride a medium/large.

Uzzi - I thought this might be the answer, but the leverage rate is way to progressive for my liking:

Darkside - it has a DH slack seat tube angle.

I was going to order a 2016 Rose Soul Fire, but now it sounds like they'll start shipping mid-april at the earliest; I'll have blown my tax refund on home improvements by then ;)

All I really want is a ~180mm of mildly progressive travel, decent seated anti-squat with a 32 tooth chainring, sub 14" bb, 63-64 degree head angle and a steep seat tube angle.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Waltworks does all sorts of cool custom stuff in chromolly you could look him up and see if it's a good fit.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Looking at possible custom build options for a 180mm DH bike with a climbable seat post angle.
So what you're looking for is sort of a ride everything bike with the freedom to get there by pedaling. Sort of a ride freedom bike.......or a free ride bike for short.....

Hmmm

Interesting.

I wonder if companies will ever make something like that (again).

I would just annoy the living shit out of @mtg at GG because something like that from them would be rad. It'll cost money for a one off though.

Didn't you have an enduro EVO?

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Yet another bike we can't have. This thing was supposed to be available by now and had a decent looking seat angle in prototype form, albeit a little less travel at 172mm.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Maybe not what you're after but... I've run a full height seatpost in my Sunday a few times for various reasons (mainly UK uplifts suck). I found the seat angle fine for climbing and it's actually a fairly efficient pedal'r (W/O sticky tyres and upping pressures). S/H Sunday frames are plentiful and cheap.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yet another bike we can't have. This thing was supposed to be available by now and had a decent looking seat angle in prototype form, albeit a little less travel at 172mm.

Yeah, there's no shortage of sick unobtainable German bikes right now...it's driving me nuts.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Yeah, I'd like a bit more travel; and while I usually try to be agnostic about aesthetics, that is one fucked up looking bike.
I think you are nuts. Kinematics are going to make a greater difference than a 6% change in travel. I'd be way more likely to go with an ugly bike I can test ride than a custom bike or some German vaporware.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Why do they test at 25% sag when Knollies usually are recommended to run 30% sag?

My endorphin and podium I run at 30%
My 26" Delirium a bit more at about 35%

A serious question as I know nothing about kinematics?

I do know that Noel, did make mention that the guy(s) that run this site miss / get wrong a few details in their analysis that make quite a difference. No idea on what he means - see above about the squishy bits...

Anybody want to give me a quick schooling?

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I don't put much stock into linkage design numbers. It's hard enough to predict how a bike will ride based on a geometry chart. It all comes down to how they actually ride for me.

It's pretty hard to argue that it is not an ugly bike however.
No real argument there. If it was 180mm I'd be forced to consider it. While 10mm may not sound like much I'm already going down from 200mm and having owned multiple bikes with 170-200mm of travel, I've found 180mm to be the limit for my style of riding and the terrain I ride (this is my DH bike, not my AM bike).

And it's still really fucking ugly.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
how about http://www.ancillotti.com/fry.html 180mm, Pedalable,coil shock and they can do any mods you want as its built to order.

also Enduro ready :banana:
I have plenty of ride time on two Tomaso DHPs and if the above Ndurpo is anything near the dh rig it is not pedal friendly, by no means. You can hammer it straight into gnar and it will perform in an awesome way, also the CG is really nice so it's very stable and easy to lean and turn. If it is behaving like the big bike, which I don't know.
I also don't know if there is an official distributor in the Land of the Free, but there is a proprietary shock in it. Just saying.

I have plenty of ride time on two Tomaso DHPs and if the above Ndurpo is anything near the dh rig it is not pedal friendly, by no means. You can hammer it straight into gnar and it will perform in an awesome way, also the CG is really nice so it's very stable and easy to lean and turn. If it is behaving like the big bike, which I don't know.
I also don't know if there is an official distributor in the Land of the Free, but there is a proprietary shock in it. Just saying.
they usually sell direct, but yea the shock would be an issue in the states. James OC in suspensionwerx in Vancouver has done a few in his time tho. id love to get one but its too much bike for the stuff locally.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'll flog the dead horse...put a coil on the damn uzzi to chill out the progressiveness and be done with it. i've been doing it for years on the older model. look at me - i'm still alive...i mean a reptile...i mean alive.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Im guessing in a year or two and there will be more options. There are more nice long travel single crown forks available again, I bet the bikes will follow shortly.

Limiting travel on a light DH bike is an option, but then almost across the board the seat angles are seriously whack... Kinda weird these bikes aren't even available right now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Unsolicited opinions:

1. Knollys ride like shit, especially pedaling. And they don't have nearly enough pivots.

2. Whatever comes out in the US is going to be some long travel pinner trail bike that's nothing like a true tough guy freeride bike of 5 years ago that you can genuinely beat the piss out of

3. Buy a last model year SX trail or its ilk and I'll send you some stickers regarding the unrideable wheelsize