Quantcast

Custom Builders - Who's Out There?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Sounds like you need a Voltage Free Rando. With a Reverb and XX1 it works pretty good for what you're looking for. I do run the lower seat rail clamp backwards to get the saddle farther forward.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
That's a pretty high dynamic range photo but I'd really feel better about a voltage free rando (seriously fire the fucker who came up with that name) in even higher dynamic range. :rofl:
It was so dark you couldn't see the bike much without the HDR and I didn't have a better pic.
Anyways, Free Rando is gaining traction and once Udi's on board then it'll stick. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it yet.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
100 bucks says a guy from Australia doesn't even know what rando means.

As a snowboarder, I know you realize how stupid that name is ;)

It's like naming a bike skin track shredder (actually that pretty much is the name). It's a bike. I don't call my skis the enduronators.

Fair enough on the HDR pic, I was just messin. But that name ain't doing any favors for what might actually be a pretty legit bike. I don't live in europe though. I know there's like a 60 word vocabulary for 'walking uphill' there.

My vote (and something an australian would get behind):

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Sounds like you need a Voltage Free Rando. With a Reverb and XX1 it works pretty good for what you're looking for. I do run the lower seat rail clamp backwards to get the saddle farther forward.
Aren't you in a position with Scott to provide some level of input? Say...maybe updating the seat tube angle so you don't need to run your post backwards :D

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm going to try swapping my medium Enduro EVO frame that's too short for a large that's probably too long. Once that doesn't work out I'll be right back here. :blink:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm going to try swapping my medium Enduro EVO frame that's too short for a large that's probably too long. Once that doesn't work out I'll be right back here. :blink:
Got any wiggle room with your stem length? There's always those p-dent bars and stem for short stem single crown setups

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Haha, coming from the ski world you know that name already exists! Dynafit bindings on wide skiis hucking cliffs with skins in your pack? I'm just fucking with my colleagues... Freeride is out of fashion so it obviously needs a new name to hype it up, right?

@djjohnr - too steep seat angle and your saddle is in the way all the time on the downhills. Since it's a Freeride bike it needs to optimize everything else but climbing, we put the seat in a spot where you could still climb but not be in the way on the downs. The post is not backwards just the lower piece of the clamp. If you zoom in on the photo you can barely tell. Anyways, I thought it could be an option for you. I have a bunch of little bikes (Enduro, AM, Free Rando, whatever) and sometimes it's nice to smash the DH sections with a solid rear end and a good DH shock. My Genius LT has an Ohlins coil shock on it right now...

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Free rando?

Strange to name a shredder freeride bike after the old vector model of the dorkest ski brand in ultralight world (trab).

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
@buckoW , if it had a steeper seat post angle it would be an option. I've been riding an Enduro EVO setup as a DH bike (26" rear wheel to slack it out and a dual crown) for the past year and the seat has never gotten in my way. If anything I think having the seat forward keeps it out of the way more.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Free rando?

Strange to name a shredder freeride bike after the old vector model of the dorkest ski brand in ultralight world (trab).
Apologies if I came across as too serious about the Free Rando thing. It's called the Voltage FR (Freeride).

@djjohnr - I totally agree with steeper seat tube angles. I just meant to say that I can get a good climbing position (for me) on that frame and use it more than my Genius and Genius LT.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I saw this thread and thought the Enduro Evo is the exact bike you're describing... then I remembered that you're currently on one! Something not working out with that for you (sounds above like maybe the size isn't right for you)? Just curious. I'm loving mine.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I saw this thread and thought the Enduro Evo is the exact bike you're describing... then I remembered that you're currently on one! Something not working out with that for you (sounds above like maybe the size isn't right for you)? Just curious. I'm loving mine.
Yup, it's a size issue. I just bought a used '15 large frame that should show up Friday (on a medium now). Hopefully it's not too long.

Speaking of loving yours, just saw this - http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/02/02/unleash-specialized-enduro-bike-yoke-upgrade-shock/. I like the Ohllins on it, but I'd prefer the the last half of the stroke be progressive instead of regressive; it would let me run a lighter spring rate. A Float X2 may be just what the doctor ordered.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thanks Troy, I'll keep you in mind if it comes to needing custom.

I did find another non-custom option: Nicolai Ion 20 with a 9.5 x 2.75 shock to reduce travel (not a common size, but Avalanche makes them and Push probably would as well). In slack mode you'd have a 63 degree head angle, while high gives you 64 and a pedal friendly seat tube angle.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Buck,

Are you guys planning on doing an XL with The Gambler anytime soon?

I am looking to possibly review one and the LG just looks a bit small.....

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Neko and Brendan are currently on 15mm longer front ends with 6.5mm offset headsets. Sooner or later we will make them longer but nothing is confirmed yet. Neko wants everything longer and I don't see him finding the limit anytime soon.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Neko and Brendan are currently on 15mm longer front ends with 6.5mm offset headsets. Sooner or later we will make them longer but nothing is confirmed yet. Neko wants everything longer and I don't see him finding the limit anytime soon.
Would love a longer Gambler, my large feels to short even with the offset headset and after spending time on a bike with 485mm reach (and would like to get a little bit longer still) shorter bikes just feels strange.

Do an XL and I'll promise I'll buy one!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Tried to buy a used L EVO frame but the sale didn't work out. Placing an order for a Knolly Abomination. Now I just need to figure out how to put a paper bag over it and still have it be ride-able. Sounds like 2017 may have more options.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah I could see 25mm added to the LG to make an XL maybe more....

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
djjohnr

Is this your first Knolly?
If not, what did/do you have and how does it compare?
Curious, as I have a Delirium-T and a Delirium 26 (an Endorphin and Podium round out the mix)

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
djjohnr

Is this your first Knolly?
If not, what did/do you have and how does it compare?
Curious, as I have a Delirium-T and a Delirium 26 (an Endorphin and Podium round out the mix)
Never had one before, never seriously considered one before. I wound up with this due to the lack of options of bikes with this geometry/travel range. It's the butterface of bikes.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
i am EXTREMELY interested in your review
I'll post info after a lot more ride time, but some basic stuff for now:

- It rides as long as it is. It'll be great for really opening it up.
- The front end is nicely long and slack. It feels like a DH bike.
- It feels light throwing it around
- It pedals like I thought it would standing: mushy

Last edited: