Quantcast

Custom Paint Helmet Thread!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm sick of all those cheesy shock/tire/headset/retrofit/clearance/forkswap/coilspring/oilheight/tirepressure/ghettotubeless/mavic/sun/dt...blah/blah/blah threads!

Since Spomer has gone mainstream and left a massive rift in our photographic content in this forum, it's taken away the "ooooohhh" factor. We need stunning photos. No gnarcore primer black BS either.

Post your bling! I want to see your best custom painted DH helmets...skip the dirt jump lids...they just look like inverted soup bowls with sticker kits.
Dylan, General Lee, Nuttypoolog...I'm calling you out! :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

JTN

Chimp
Feb 15, 2002
Norway
Mine, kinda tried to combine my two favorite designs; Peatys '99 lid and Kovariks '02 one. Didn't turn out quite as good as I wanted, but I'm satisfied with it for a first try.

Here are the pics, taken with a cellphone, but you get the idea..

JT

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Ok, this is one of my MX helmets turned DH helmet. It is painted by Sandy Fulk from Airbrush Designs in North Carolina. He is known for his MX and Nascar jobs. He does helmets for Mark Martin, Rousch Racing, some of Hendrick Motorsports, Terry Labonte, etc... oh yeah, this helmet is about 3 years old, and cartoon characters were cool back then, so don't be hatin'! It was the sh!t. :blah:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I did some work to my helmet as a joke before a snow race. Not paint, i did it with the cheesiest fabric i could find and some tacky glue. You gotta appreciate the time and patience that went into it. it turned out pretty good too IMO :)

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
LD,

Thats sooo hot. How much do you charge for a normal job? not as much airburshing involved as that but maybe a little.

Dan

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I got a ? though about painting in general. I know most of these helmets are all moto helmets but how would you paint something like a Mad Max II, Full bravo type helmet where it's primarly plastic (nothing to really sand down)???

LD has a sick helmet. I swear if I ever get a motorcycle I'm having someone paint it :)

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
ZEDMAN said:
lukeD do you ride with that helmet? i would be afraid to scratch that sick ass paint. sweet helmet man :drool: :drool: :thumb: :thumb:
lol ya and i play hockey with this...

actually that's my old one...did it back in '99, i don't have pictures online of my new one. the paintjobs are more durable than you think if done right. my goalie mask right now doesnt have one chip in it...just puck marks which wash right off.

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
LukeD, those TLD fins look awsome on the D2's....super nice job on the design. The middle looks like Hills from last year, very nice!

I just got mine back from paint a week or so ago. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
bizutch said:
Post your bling! I want to see your best custom painted DH helmets...skip the dirt jump lids...they just look like inverted soup bowls with sticker kits.
Dylan, General Lee, Nuttypoolog...I'm calling you out! :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

I know you said no dirt lids, but my buddy just started painting and dirt lids are much cheaper to practice on. What do you think? :sneaky:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Nice lids...I had thought about sending my helmet to Dylan Dean to be painted. Does anyone know his prices? I couldn't find anything on the Net...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
OK...Foesjunky you get an exception. That fold in the center ovlerlapping is seriously #D looking. He did a kick ass job. Now...if he wants to practice 1 more on my Carbon D2......he's welcome to!

spleenless

Chimp
May 27, 2005
Yucaipa, Ca
foesjunky said:
I know you said no dirt lids, but my buddy just started painting and dirt lids are much cheaper to practice on. What do you think? :sneaky:
I painted the flamin' flag DJ lid. I am still looking for practice helmets so, if anyone is interested let me know. I'm basically just charging for the paint and very little labor. For example, the DJ would have been about $50-$60.

spleenless

Chimp
May 27, 2005
Yucaipa, Ca
I know this is another DJ but, I wanted to throw one together real quick for an example for member "esr". I painted this one on Monday. Also, these photos were taken before sanding and polishing.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
How do you paint a Mad Max Helmet??? If someone tells me how I might paint mine :)

Sick looking helmets guys :)