Quantcast

Custom ti frame build has begun.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I've decided to go with Dean for a custom ti 29er softtail. They have a really nice one called the duke, was recently redesigned, really simple/classic design. Waiting on my blueprint currently. Geometry will slightly different but based on the Specialized Epic 29er.

Going with this bike (top of page: http://www.deanbikes.com/menu.htm) with extended travel, 2.25" instead of 1.7"... will be set up with vertical dropouts and cable stops for brakes and rear derailleur only. Plans are for a brushed finish with a laser etched and bead blasted logo.

Fingers are crossed that everything goes smoothly and that the frame delivers in early December. I guess I'm going to find out if the bogus time lines and broken promises rumors are true. He hasn't asked for a down payment, so I guess I have nothing to lose but the hopes of an beautiful frame.

I'll be selling the epic 29er next month to fund this, leaving me with only the SS for the winter. Already sold a carbon road frame, a set of custom wheels and a fully loaded YAKIMA... Only going to have to spend like $150 of checkbook money on this thing. Clean out garage, replace unused crap with sweet new bike.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Time to occupy Oklahoma City I suspect. As a 1%'r I will probably never be able to afford a custom bike. My only question is, are any of the funds to be used for this bike derived from the Wall St Bailout? If they are can we ride your bike if we visit OKC? We'll also want Steaks from the Cattlemen's Steakhouse, Ribeyes... The workmanship on those Dean Frames are awesome by the way.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Time to occupy Oklahoma City I suspect. As a 1%'r I will probably never be able to afford a custom bike. My only question is, are any of the funds to be used for this bike derived from the Wall St Bailout? If they are can we ride your bike if we visit OKC? We'll also want Steaks from the Cattlemen's Steakhouse, Ribeyes... The workmanship on those Dean Frames are awesome by the way.
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Yeah I agree with DMG... your ramblings have nothing to do with the original story. I WANT THAT 1 MINUTE OF MY LIFE BACK! :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yeah I agree with DMG... your ramblings have nothing to do with the original story. I WANT THAT 1 MINUTE OF MY LIFE BACK! :D
If it took a minute for you to qualify and categorize anything I wrote, then that minute is the least of your problems. Never. ever reread anything I spout off on.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I always wondered what kind of people were the ones who ordered bikes from companies who had reputations for shafting customers. Now I know why Evil and Nemesis Project somehow stay in business. The desire to be unique must be really strong.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
@ John: Click on it and it clears it up.
@ IHR It's 450.9

Geometry is based on my current bike. Chainstays in the drawing are 3mm longer, top tube is about 12mm longer and the wheelbase is about 20mm shorter.

This is the first draft: Geometry as close as it can get to my current ride as possible. He's going to be making recommendations next based on my measurements.

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Dean - Yikes!

I hope you don't have to wait forever golgi - and I also hope that when you do receive the frame that everything is okay with it.

Dean = extremely shoddy rep.

Last edited:

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
i wasnt too impressed with my buddies dean, since he wore a hole through the chainstay due to chain suck. They patched it up for him but still...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
i thought thats what it said. holy crap thats long

edit: nm, i forgot its a 29er. i was comparing it to the 26" Scalpel, but the 29er Scalpel is 17.5"

double edit: $2850+ for a frame is crazy
Yeah, that'd be huge for a 26er. Pretty on par for 29ers. Both of my 29ers are in that same ballpark.
As for the scalpel... is that what they want for one, $2800+... Full carbon?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I've heard mixed reports. Some are good experience, some bad. Like I said above... time line will have to be met or the money won't exchange hands... I haven't heard anything about bad build quality though... usually ride and build quality reviews are pretty gleaming. What have you heard?

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I'll pay with my Visa, and from what I understand the charge doesn't hit the card until delivery. If geometry is botched... I'll have Visa cancel payment, and I'll ship the frame back to Dean, simple as that.

The guy doing my frame is the owner... and he seems to really know his sh!t. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for the best. It could potentially be an amazing/beautiful bike.

I'll keep posting updates in here... if anything it will be entertaining for you guys. If anyone has experience with geometry feel free to chime in. I'm open to suggestions.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Parts are on order for the build.

New parts:
Manitou Tower Pro 100mm 20mm thru-axle (later it will get a 90mm lefty, too pricey for now though what with the fork, hub, and spokes/nips I'd need to make it work).
Middleburn Cranks w/ integrated ring/spider.
Acros reducer headset... 1.5 - Standard.
FSA SLK Seatpost.
Yess Tensioner for winter SS use.
Hope 2mm axle adapters.

Old Parts that will transfer over the new bike:
Hope Pro 2/Stans Crest wheels
FSA SLK Stem & Bars
Elixr R brakes
Fizik Aliante Gamma Saddle
Geax AKA tires
X9 rear der & Shifter
PG 990 Cassette
E-13 chain guide for 1x setup.
Hope BB

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
did you try black sheep?

i would think you could get them to do a normal frame.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
did you try black sheep?

i would think you could get them to do a normal frame.
I really like the looks of this bikes... I did look at the ST Highlight, but they want $3700 for that thing. The dean is expensive, but that's nuts... and the highlight is quite a bit heavier. With this being an XC race machine, the Dean was a better choice for me. Also looked at Funk, Moots, Generic... discussed a build with the guy from Generic, but again the Dean fit the bill better.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I have the Expert (9mm QR) model on my SS now. It's a good fork, especially for the money. Which is why I'm not nervous getting the pro... I expect I'll like it even better, also the pro is light enough to race (only 100+ grams heavier than the XX, unlike the expert which is on the portly side for an XC fork).

My only complaint on the Tower is that it lacks a neg air spring... so you can't increase small bump sensitivity without swapping springs. however stiffening the fork up is easy, just add air to the other leg which is an air spring that assists the primary... Rebound and compression damping is outstanding. Plus the fork seems stiffer than my Reba is or my Revelation was.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
An update on this. Build was scheduled to begin on the first week of December and deliver the following week, so I called to see how it was going and maybe get a few build pics... the response I got was that the builder is still bending and mitering tubes, so as of right now they are 1 week behind and counting. People had warned me that they don't keep very well to their word when it comes to delivery time :(