Quantcast

Custom ti frame build has begun.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I said originally that if they missed their projected delivery date by a week I'd cancel the order, but this frame is probably worth a bit of flexibility.What would you guys say is a reasonable amount of time before I pull the plug?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you were warned in advance that this company has a tendency to miss delivery dates by months. you chose to ignore that advice. you're on your own now.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
I said originally that if they missed their projected delivery date by a week I'd cancel the order, but this frame is probably worth a bit of flexibility.What would you guys say is a reasonable amount of time before I pull the plug?
I've been on a very popular custom builder's waiting list for a custom steel single speed for well over a year. It's finally built, powder coated, and getting a custom paint job this week. I should have it by New Years Day.

I could have canceled the order at any time. So how long you are willing to wait just depends on how much you want the bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been on a very popular custom builder's waiting list for a custom steel single speed for well over a year. It's finally built, powder coated, and getting a custom paint job this week. I should have it by New Years Day.

I could have canceled the order at any time. So how long you are willing to wait just depends on how much you want the bike.
richard sachs' current wait time is 7 years.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What would you guys say is a reasonable amount of time before I pull the plug?
1. It's a custom handmade frame. Anything handmade takes more time than assembly line crap. Be patient.

2. If you have paid a deposit and work has begun, you will most likely forfeit if you cancel. When I take a deposit it is non-refundable and covers my expenses should the client back out. I don't know Dean's policy but suspect it's similar.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Before you ordered it.

I'd at least want to see pics of them working on it for some sort of re-assurance. I would be hard pressed to order a custom build from someone with a less than stellar reputation....especially when you are dropping that kind of coin. For a bicycle.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I sent him an e-mail last night reminding him of the timeline he quoted me. Just got a message back from him, his goal is to ship out next week. Should have photos soon. Fingers crossed on this, really trying to give the benefit of the doubt, but I'm still skeptical. Will post photos if and when.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
1. It's a custom handmade frame. Anything handmade takes more time than assembly line crap. Be patient.

2. If you have paid a deposit and work has begun, you will most likely forfeit if you cancel. When I take a deposit it is non-refundable and covers my expenses should the client back out. I don't know Dean's policy but suspect it's similar.
qft.

plus, its only one week over the time allotted. though if he promised to hit a specific date, i can see where you can be upset.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
qft.

plus, its only one week over the time allotted.
That's true... but with the reputation that they have, I'm already locked and loaded for disappointment. As for the timeline... we did agree on an early December timeline... I based my decision on his word that they'd hit it... and I told him that.

Oh yeah... no deposit. Probably wouldn't have given them the go-ahead if they had wanted half up front or something like that.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
With everyone telling me that these guys jerk people around on timelines, why wouldn't I be thinking that? Besides, I told them up front that if it went too much past the agreed upon date that it'd be an issue.
Everyone told you all this beforehand.....and it's widely known via everywhere on the interwebtoobz. Did you really think you'd be any different?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Everyone told you all this beforehand.....and it's widely known via everywhere on the interwebtoobz. Did you really think you'd be any different?
Not surprised at all... I was wary about it from the beginning and I told the builder about my concerns. But I don't get you telling me not to contemplate canceling the order if it gets too far behind though.

Just because a vendor has a rep doesn't mean they shouldn't be held to their word. It'd be one thing if they were up front and told me that they were running behind. But that never happened... every time I asked he responded with "on schedule".

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Not surprised at all... I was wary about it from the beginning and I told the builder about my concerns. But I don't get you telling me not to contemplate canceling the order if it gets too far behind though.
I'm just saying if you're that impatient/mad enough to want to cancel, I wouldn't have ordered it in the first place given their notoriety for being late. That's all I'm saying.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was hoping that it would all work out for him regardless of what everyone said would happen. Eventually he will get his bike and perhaps it will be awesome. Just be patient....

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I honestly think a month is a reasonable wait time past the agreed date for a custom frame.

My experiences with customs frames are similar with others. I've had 3 done, one came right on time, the other 2 months late, the other 4 months late.

you have to be patient, and since there was no deposit put down, you have nothing to loose

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I guess I don't understand that certain businesses get a bad rap and people still order stuff from them. I guess I just have a hard time patronizing a business I'm not totally on board with. I guess it's not as big of a deal if you didn't pay a deposit, but still. Personally, I wouldnt buy something from a business with a bad rap no matter what they sell. I hope it works out and get your frame though. Sounds like you know exactly what you want.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Funny, I just read a thread written buy a guy that ordered the exact same bike as I did, had the exact same modifications made to the frame... and ended up canceling his order after a long wait time just as his bike had been completed.

I'm going to give John until the last week in December to deliver, then I'm going to cancel the order and promptly have a Moots YBB shipped out. The geometry on their off the shelf large is spot on for me.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yes, but you have Ti and you have custom. Then you have custom Ti, which is a whole new level of my bike is better than your bike.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm going to steal Golgi's frame, melt it down and mold it into a giant dildo. I'll even deliver it before the Dean hits his doorstep.