Quantcast

Custom ti frame build has begun.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Nope.
And speaking as somebody who has built Ti bikes for a living, it's not so easy as cut and weld.
It's more like: cut, weld, cut, weld, cut, weld, cut, weld for an entire week.
so no heat treating at all huh? will it lose its bendability if heat treated?

why is it that much of a pita to weld over Al or steel?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
so no heat treating at all huh? will it lose its bendability if heat treated?

why is it that much of a pita to weld over Al or steel?

Yup, none at all. It won't lose anything. Nothing will happen.

Ti is actually quite easy to weld, especially compared to alum. It's the other factors that make it a PITA. Your prep has to be surgically clean. Any contamination at all and the frame is done. You might not even know it. That's a huge liability when you think about so builders need to be REALLY careful that they don't F up. The material is much harder to cut and takes more expensive tools. If you scrap a tube, it's $200 vs $30 for a steel bike.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Just bail and buy the yuppie Moots already. You obviously want it more and will probably be happier in the long run. Stop worrying that you are going to hurt his feelings, you have nothing holding you to it, and send the no go email.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Seriously. A friend was having some work done on his FJ40 Land Cruiser. It was supposed to be done in two months. Nine years later and he finally got it back.
was he having rust work done?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I disagree I think the top tube makes it looks sick, but the moment you nut your self it won't look so cool.
Kinda what I mean. I hate curved tubes on bikes in general (aesthetically), but having a toptube that curves up? Not only is it hideous, but it's functionally and geometrically useless as far as I can tell, unless I'm missing something. All you're doing is losing standover really.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The tube doesn't arch up, it bends down. Not any different than a sloping toptube.
I disagree....besides, sloping downward is essentially the same as arching upward. the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. If you used a straight tube from the headtube/toptube junction to the seattube/toptube junction, your standover would be improved. On the contrary, using a curved toptube that arches down allows you greater standover for the same given geometry (read: functionally advantageous).
Dean2.jpg

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Yes...and Ti has to be back purged, which is the reason for the hose. The back side of the hot metal can suck in atmospheric contamination, so the entire weld has to be gas shielded.
Its pretty cool, I just read up on it a bit... they are trying to create an oxygen free environment ion the backside of the weld. Fascinating... why is it that ti takes such special treatment?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Its pretty cool, I just read up on it a bit... they are trying to create an oxygen free environment ion the backside of the weld. Fascinating... why is it that ti takes such special treatment?
Molten Ti is highly reactive with atmospheric gases, mainly oxygen and nitrogen. The thinner the material, the more shielding the backside of the weld is a concern. You can have the same issues when welding stainless. All welds must be shielded somehow, although with steel is can also be done using flux covered rod or wire. The flux floats on top of the molten pool and once cooled it is chipped or brushed away. Having the base react with atmosphere can cause embrittlement and porosity, which leads to weld failure. Done properly, a weld is stronger than the base metal.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It really has nothing to do with preventing fire. It's about preventing weld contamination. SS is sensitive to contamination too, just not as much as Ti. Ti machines very similar to SS though.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I owned a GT Xisang ti road bike. Old skool 105, XTR seatpost and a original Flite saddle. It was a amazing bike. Ti has a really good ride quality. I owned a Paramount Series 3 at the same time and it spent it's life in the Garage after I got the GT. I was never a good sprinter. But I could jam on that GT.