Quantcast

CX updates

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
So, whats going on people?? :)

Just wondering if anyone has raced so far and or how your prep is going.

I am doing ok, however I biffed at a cross clinic yesterday and bent my front wheel. Went the second half of the day with no front brake and wobblin lol!

Race this coming weekend, getting ready for the pain ;)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I start racing this Saturday, and then it will be continuous until December. I'm super excited!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Couple of races coming mid october.

My fitness is so-so but training is coming along.

Let's hope it will be rainy and messy for these races!!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Do you get to ring the bell for final lap? That bell is music to my ears
No doubt. I thought I would be fine racing cyclocross after having down short track several times at NORBA Nationals but still, after 30+ minutes that bell made me want to cry tears of joy.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I ordered some tires, and they have not shipped yet :panic: :rant:

I may have to buy ANOTHER pair before Sunday. I guess you can never have too many??

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I actually DO have too many tires, but not cx. I have a giant box of tires I've won or been given that I don't like and only use in emergencies.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Did my first cross race today. :dead:

Started too hard, and blew up. I got too concerned with passing guys too early, putting in some sprints at the wrong time....which killed me. I finished somewhere mid-pack.

Next race in 2 weeks. :cheers:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I race Saturday and Sunday...there were ups and downs. On Saturday I led for a while and was at the front working with a couple of guys when I snapped my chain (I guess I put out that much power :monkey:)....I didn't bring the spare bike either so that ended my race. On Sunday I was doing really well and leading a chase group of 3, trying to catch 2 guys off the front. Towards the end of the race I rolled my rear tubular :( I ran a long ways and pitted and finished the race, but I was lapped right as I was coming out of the pit. The upside is that I've demonstrated my fitness is on par with the A's in this area, the downside is I can't keep my bike together :(

<edit> here is a photo from Sunday

Last edited:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I raced Sunday. Rough ass course through a weed wacked field. 75 people lined up for my class. UGH.

I finished around 63rd. Sounds ****ty, but when you start at the back and the first hairpin comes, your screwed because of the bottlenecks. I did not get lapped either.

Anyway, I finished, and I didn't die. :) I am happy I started racing again, next year will be better with more training

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Way to go guys!
You are too kind, but really I suck something fierce. :)

Still fun as hell though. I was chasing this dude the whole race, and we were going at about the same pace. I decided that I would try to take him on the last lap. Anyway last lap comes and the guy put some distance between us. I was pushing hard and was just thinking that I would not catch him. Then on a sharp turn to an uphill, I see him lose his chain. I was like YES! So I catch up, and the dude pulls the chain off like one long snake. Busted! I felt bad for him.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Here are a couple of pics from yesterday:

Off to a decent start...

Mid first lap:

MIKE, THE BARRIER ISN'T THAT HIGH!!

Starting to blow up.

I dun blowed up. Wanting to quit.

Brent Prenzlow(right) won, almost lapping me. :(

Man, I love and hate cross all at the same time. :cupidarrow:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
How did it go for everyone this weekend? Well I hope. We had a smaller race Saturday, but the competition was fairly tough. I had a good race, but cramped part way through and that cost me second place (I ended up third). The race on Sunday was larger and had very good competition as well; I almost was taken out on the start, had to dab, and was then ran into. I kept it upright and was able to work up to 12th in a short span of time. It went downhill from there, I dumped it on a super steep stair run up (railroad ties in dirt) and then I flatted. I had to ride most of the lap on the flat to get back to the pit, I did finish the race but I was a lap down. Oh well, there is always next weekend :)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
How did everyone do this weekend? How was the weather? We actually had lots of rain and both days were true cross racing! I did well on Saturday, I led the entire race and then lost in the final minute to my teammate :( I should have played a different game tactically, oh well, live and learn. Today kicked my a** and I couldn't keep my bike upright to save my life. I had a lot of fun, it was really muddy and the wife had a great time watching us fall down.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
How did everyone do this weekend? How was the weather? We actually had lots of rain and both days were true cross racing! I did well on Saturday, I led the entire race and then lost in the final minute to my teammate :( I should have played a different game tactically, oh well, live and learn. Today kicked my a** and I couldn't keep my bike upright to save my life. I had a lot of fun, it was really muddy and the wife had a great time watching us fall down.
First cross race ever and first race in 10 years. It's the most fun I've had racing since team Botulism was handing out green mystery shooters at 24 hrs of Canaan in the mid 90's. I started at the back of the C's and just rode at a fairly casual pace for a few laps until I flatted :(. I was able to pass people whenever I wanted to pass and stayed upright despite a few crashes directly in front of me. I never pushed hard and felt great the whole time. It was a pleasant surprise to find out that my handling skills haven't completely disappeared due to my near complete lack of MTBing since moving here. I'm contemplating moving up to B's just to get away from the sketch fest but the reality is that I have no fitness and would probably wind up mid pack in the beginner class. Can't wait 'til next week.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
How was everyone's weekend? Any interesting stories? Injuries? I raced both days, I had a good day and a bad day. Our Saturday race was small and I grabbed the hole shot and then proceeded to crash twice in the first minute. I finished the race but I just cruised. On Sunday we had another huge Cross Crusade Race (over 1200 competitors). I made sure I had a good start position this week and was tenth or so heading into the gravel. I have to say it was one hell of a sprint off the start. I "survived" from there and placed 12th behind my teammate. I picked the pace up on the last lap (I had a guy with me I needed to drop) and I swear I almost puked several times. I did win a two up sprint at the line.....using the sprint I gained from years of DH. Good times :biggrin:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I raced CX yesterday, first time ever, rode 15 miles to get to the start after a night of partying, smoking on the starting line, finished and did a twenty mile ride home so I could have a beer or three.

Didn't stay to see the results, had other things to do.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I had another bye week from racing. Climbed the mountaineer's route up Mt. Whitney. 19.5 hrs of hiking, climbing, walking :poster_oops: :dead:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Raced yesterday, was deep in the pain locker and finished poorly. That is what I get for not racing for two weeks. :)

Not near as many starters though. It was nice having 20 in the race rather than 80 or 90.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Raced yesterday, was deep in the pain locker and finished poorly. That is what I get for not racing for two weeks. :)

Not near as many starters though. It was nice having 20 in the race rather than 80 or 90.
Was there snot dripping in your mouth?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Is the pain locker where you store your suitcase of courage?