Quantcast

Cycling caps?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have a cycling hat that I love because it has a long bill that helps with the sun on bright days (especially climbing when I take my glasses off); the other piece I like about hats is they keep the sweat from going in my eyes. The problem is that the hat is meant for foul weather so it's pretty warm. Other than cotton hats, does anyone make a lycra or coolmax cycling cap for use in the summer time?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have a Sugoi cap. It is some kind of wicking material, not the. I have only used it in colder months (just moved from Connecticut to CA), so I cannot comment on how it feels in hot weather. But I might try it here in SoCal as the sweat in my eyes is killing me. In any case, it works well and definitely dries better and feels better in somewhat warm weather than a standard cotton cap. Fit is good- better than my old Pace cotton cap as it is larger and softer feeling.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
So the Sugoi cap that I've got was put to the test Sunday. Left at 830 for 3.5hrs of dirt road and trail with temp reaching 103 and humidity about 55%.

In short, the cap worked, but did get completely saturated after a couple hours. Wasn't noticeably hot, but the brim was a hair too long and kind of bugged me. I'll be keeping it around, though.

Fact of the matter is, I didn't have sweat issues until I switched from an SWORKS helmet to an Ionos.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I have a cycling hat that I love because it has a long bill that helps with the sun on bright days (especially climbing when I take my glasses off); the other piece I like about hats is they keep the sweat from going in my eyes. The problem is that the hat is meant for foul weather so it's pretty warm. Other than cotton hats, does anyone make a lycra or coolmax cycling cap for use in the summer time?
I do. THe lycra ones by Peal Izumi are good.

I've always thought these hats look ghey as hell, but wehat they do is channel sweat away from your face and down the little ghey bill where it just drips off the end... genius!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Most custom clothing companies offer 100% poly hats. They wick a little bit better. I prefer cotton. It never bothers me when it's wet, it does get too hot around 80 though. I also prefer short bill caps. You only need a tiny visor for riding on the road, and I prefer the classic looks of a short bill hat. Short bills are also easier to stuff in the back pocket.

The best way to keep sweat out of your eyes is a pair of glasses with a rain gutter up top of them. I don't know what's out there right now, but my old Brikos are great in that regard. I like to take my sunglasses off when I climb, so I still end up with occasional eye sweat. Cutting the tops off hats into something ammounting to a visor is the advised way to go for summer riding and racing. It's pro as ****, and it's the most comfortable way to ride.
Disclaimer- I don't use helmets so comfort may be different with one. I race in an uncut helmet w/helmet when i race when appropriate but I rarely wear the cut one. It feels kinda lumpy compared to the uncut variety.