Quantcast

Cyclists don't have rights, did you get the memo?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BigHit-Maniac said:
Probably the run through Summit county eh' ?

I know a lot of roadies like to go all the way up by the Eisenhower tunnel.

I'd like to go DOWN it, not up it.. but I definitely agree with most of the areas that are open.

-Matt
Most places that don't have frontage roads - I-76 through NE colorado is open all the way to the NE border.

I think I-70 most of the way from west of Denver to Utah is open.....

I wouldn't friggin' ride on the Xpressway, that's for sure. :nope:

-S.S.-

KaTooMer

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Illinois
xbluethunderx said:
I-80 up Parley's Canyon to Park City is open to riding here...You've gotta be halfway insane to do it, though.
That's sort of my overall philosophy with sharing any road with cars, especially highways. Yeah, we've got rights and drivers should watch out for us and shouldn't kill us and should pay big time for whenever they injure or kill a bicyclist, but that doesn't change the fact that the non-biking public isn't usually expecting us on the road.

When people ask me why I want to mountain bike or race my off-road motorcycle in the woods, I explain it like this: even though there's a lot of obstacles inside the woods that can do some damage, very few of them move under their own power. They're predictable (most of the time, anyway). Cars aren't.

I'm only just becoming aware of this for the first time. My whole life, my dad has warned me about getting hit by a car and how it's just about impossible to get anything from it, assuming the driver even bothers to stop/slow down.

The fact that someone can be as negligent as this resort owner's wife, driving that close in the shoulder where someone is riding, then hitting on what looks to be a road that gets little traffic, and getting a maximum of one year in prison is scary.

Why is the biking community so fragmented that we can't get some justice guaranteed. I know if I got hit I'd want the sucker who hit me to pay with everything I had. If I'm going down, I'm taking them with me.

The fact that the biking community has done relatively little bothers me even more...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
This is just another sad example of the ever-increasing unaccounbtability of America....

Nobody will accept blame for wrong doing. Just like that kid who auctioned his Imperial on eBay and the didn't likw what it sold for so he backed out. As a nation we have become so selfish and self-serving I could seriously puke.

:rolleyes: The fact that the worst this woman faces is a year in the slammer means she will do absolutely no jail time. I agree that the best route is to sue her in civil court and use the settlement to help change laws and increase awareness.

FWIW, I have actually had an on-duty Sheriff yell at me to get off the street and ride on the sidewalk :confused: Even the law doesn't get it.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
The fact that she was driving on the shoulder, she should be shot for that, the cyclist didn;t have a chance. I just get soooo pissed off with things like this, this world doesn;t have true justice.

Also as for running, I get hit by cars rather often, usaully just burched by them and I;m not injured. So far every time it has been an old person. Also there is one old lady in particular hit me once, another time while running she rolled her window down and yelled at me saying I should be running cause she couldn;t see me. It was day time and I was wearing a bright red jacket, against white snow. Could you get better contrast than that??? I happily told the old lady to **** off. I not plan on running with a knife from now on. Anytime a car comes within arm reach out goes the knife and there goes their nice pain job. :nuts: