Quantcast

Cyclo vs. Road

crowjo

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Ashland, OR
So I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to the world of biking. I road bikes all the time as a kid (walmart or equivalent) I'm thinking of getting a cyclocross bike because there is a bike path around my area but it has a lot of bumps and I like the idea of being able to go off road. However, I was wondering 2 things. 1. Is it possible to buy road bike tires to put on a cyclo bike and basically turn it into a road bike. 2. Are the cyclo tires and bike itself suitable for long rides (50+ miles) The bike will mostly be used for 4 to 8 mile commuting. Thanks for any input you can provide.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1. Yes, cyclocross bikes will make fine road bikes.
2. Cyclocross tires will make lousy long distance tires.

Keep in mind the cyclocross bikes have no suspension and make so/so off-road bikes. Put it this way: the trails you are going to ride: would you ride them on your road bike? If so, then cyclocross bikes will do a great job.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
First, you can put road tires on a CX bike. The wheels are the same size, but for normal size road tires and normal size CX tires you would need different tubes. Second, you can certainly do long rides on a CX bike. A road bike would be better for that for the most part, but it's not bad. Cross tires would not be that great for a really long ride, IMO.

I'd consider whether you really want a cross bike, though. What do you mean by the path being bumpy? Like bad pavement, rocks, hills? A CX bike won't be as good on the road due to geometry, likely build and other stuff. And they aren't terribly capable off-road. I have ridden some pretty hairy trails on a cross bike and it is usually slow and if there's any technical parts it is way harder/scarier than on a mountain bike. Obviously, you really can't go on trails on a road bike, but most dirt roads should be okay. A road bike with wider tires than normal can be fairly versatile.

crowjo

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Ashland, OR
well.. the paths I'm talking about is like a 60 mile paved bike path in my area. It connects pretty much everywhere i would need to go. Yes, the pavement is cracked and and not so smooth due to whatever reason. I'm not really thinking about taking it off road too often either I guess. Basically I had bought a road bike off craigslist last summer (stolen since) but both tires were popped within a few days of riding the trail.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
A CX bike won't be as good on the road due to geometry, likely build and other stuff. And they aren't terribly capable off-road.
:thumbsdown:

Cross bikes do fine on the road and they're more durable. A cross bike will be heavier though. As for off road...get some skills son! :D

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
:thumbsdown:

Cross bikes do fine on the road and they're more durable. A cross bike will be heavier though. As for off road...get some skills son! :D
Yes, cross bikes do fine on the road. I was actually riding a cross bike on the road and some trails for the last 6 years or so until the start of this year. Rode it everywhere and liked it. Had a dedicated road bike before and have one again now. I just prefer the road frame slightly on the road due to the slightly sharper steering, lower bottom bracket, lower weight and lack of brake chatter. I preferred the cross bike when I lived in Vermont and rode on lots of icy dirt roads, non-technical trails. For bike paths, roads and the occasional dirt road the road bike is better with no real drawbacks....but I agree the difference is not that big for recreational riders (like myself).